home about me our home

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Something A Little Different!

   

Don’t you just love to see alternatives in design that are a bit different than what is normally expected?
Me too!

Today I am going to talk about an alternative to chairs around the dining room/kitchen table.

Ribbet Edit SEATING

This is not a new look by any means, but I think it is a look that should be used more often.

banquette

Look at how interesting it looks to use a settee, and two winged chairs instead of 6 matching chairs around this rectangle table.

seating

This is a great use of space. This designer chose to use a sofa pushed right up against what most people would have used as a breakfast bar. Something a bit different than the norm is always fun.


seating1

Bench seating is a great look when you are limited on space. You can push it right up against the wall. No need to have room to pull a chair in and out with a bench seat. If you live in a smaller home or have limited space this type of seating is the answer for you.

seating2
A bit larger table but just as attractive.

seating3

Simple!


seating4
Flanking a settee with two storage cabinets is a great use of space and one that I recommend for homeowners when they live in a space that is lacking storage and is on the smaller size.

seating 5

This homeowner chose to put a charming seating area in an unused corner.


seating 6
This is such a charming area for this conversation area. Such a great backdrop for the settee to sit in front of. Very clever and dramatic design.


seating 7
CHARMING!

Do you like this option for your own space? I love it and it has been on my radar for awhile now.

I found a few fun options for this type of seating that were reasonably priced. If you think about it you can get two people on a settee so that is the price of two chairs in one piece.

seating
This settee is from Ballard designs. It comes in a 36in. or 48in. size. You can choose from many options what upholstery you want it covered in.

seating 8
This settee is a bit wider for those of you that have the room. It is from Wayfair.


seating9
This last option is from Crate & Barrel and it is slipcovered for easy maintenance.

Do I have you thinking outside the box?
 
I know this is something I have been thinking about for a very long time, and you just might see it in my dining area in the future!!

 
 

12 comments:

Nancy said...

We were looking for one last year to fit our breakfast area that has a weird angle. I never found one I liked so I bought a new table instead. And THEN I found a settee I liked. :) Anyway...here's another one you might like:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/390616967652526092/

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I love the idea and looks of a bench. My kitchen is too small for one though. Have a great weekend!

Angie said...

I have had an upholstered settee and two wicker wing chairs in my breakfast area for several years. We love them. They are so comfortable and great for a lengthy card game, a glass of wine after work, or lingering after a wonderful weekend breakfast. I have always loved this look and I am happy to see others do too! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration.

Victoria said...

I love this look. For many years, I have been using an antique settee for seating at my dining table. It adds a touch of elegance and a variety of seating that prevents the room from looking staid. Wonderful and practical in a kitchen or breakfast room too, it provides the convenience of the 1970s "diner" with much more panache.

I just had a flashback. (It happens when you are as old as I.) In the breakfast area of the home I owned in the 70s, I used an antique settle bench on one side of a long harvest table. I think it would still work today in a country home.

XO, Victoria

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love the idea of the banquettes...they are so making a great comeback from the 50's with fabulous designs!
Facebooking and pinning this post! Love it!

Libby said...

We had seriously considered this kind of look for our dining area here in our new house. We had several room plans ready…I had done my research! Well, we decided in the end that for everyday use it would be too difficult to get in and out of a banquette or real arm chair. They would be lovely and fine for a sometimes-used dining area, but not for heavy every day use. Does that make sense? I mean, you would "stick" to the fabric every time you got in and out from the table! I love, love the look, but for me it just wasn't practical. Can't wait to see if you do go with something on this order!!!

debra @ 5th and state said...

gorgeous examples kathysue! i am going back to pin away.
i have a settee,from lee ind., at my table and love it. that is until a guest spilled something oily on it of which i found later, sigh. my do over would be something slipcovered!
xx
debra

Merlin said...

Count me in for the banquet/bench seating...forty years and counting..franki

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Beautiful ideas!!! I have my wing back chair at my table and love it!

Anonymous said...

1000% impractical!!! it is a big pain for yourselves or your guests to get out of this seating! especially the middle person! Think of how it can be in a round booth in a restaurant???DON'T DO IT,, looks great in pictures only!!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

We were taking measurements yesterday for a banquette in our soon to be home. I love the look for our small eat in area.
xx,
Sherry

The enchanted home said...

Hi Kathysue...I love this look, always have. I would love to do this one day (maybe when we are empty nesters)I love how cozy and intimate it looks and feels just not sure if its as comfortable as sitting at a table in a single chair....