home about me our home

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

They Have Arrived!!

I am sooooo excited. My living room sconces have arrived and they are even more beautiful in person than they were on-line.
Winchester Mirrored Sconce
The brass is antiqued to warm golden patina that makes you just want to touch it. The etching is a nice heavy etching, the shades are beautifully made.  I am in love with these sconces.

I realized the other day after talking to a blogging buddy that I wasn’t sure if you all realized I do not know when these will be going into my living room. That was the dilemma on whether to order them now or not. I realized I could not get this great price in the future so I bit the bullet and purchased them even though they might be sitting in the boxes for awhile.

That never stops me from making plans so I went out into cyberspace looking at rooms with Golds, creams and whites to see what I was attracted too. Here is a sampling of my inspiration images……

house beautiful
House Beautiful
gold and gray
sarah richardson 
Sarah Richardson
David Jiminez 
David Jiminez
kitchen
untitled
Sarah Richardson
soft blue
sunburst
with gray
pink
veranda
Veranda
texture
6480211
Ashley Whittaker
After looking at these images and studying them I realized a few things about what I seem to be gravitating towards. I like a gold gilded frame or even a sunburst mirror. I also think I will be looking for an open antique brass framed table with maybe a marble top. The other thing I noticed is gold looks amazing with gray. I won’t be doing any gray in my life, but found it very interesting how lovely gold looks with gray. So much of what we see with gray is a monochromatic look with gray furniture, gray textures and gray walls. The pop of gold really is attractive to me and adds another dynamic to a room of all gray.

Speaking of gray, if you want to read an absolutely wonderful post on the use of gray go over to Cote De Texas and read her post. As always Joni hits the nail on the head. She has such a discerning eye and teaches her readers to look at every little detail in a room.

I think there is always a learning process in design, whether it is in your own surroundings or a clients. I love design! It has definitley given me an extra bonus in my life.

I hope this shows you we are all on a learning curve and to be open to new discoveries about yourself and your world of design,

“Enjoy the Process” Of:
The world of discovery in Design!!
Kathysue

26 comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

How exciting that they have arrived - I'm glad you are happy with how they look. Also, you are right about design being a continued learning process.

Design Esquire said...

I do the same thing! I have light fixtures in boxes right now waiting for them to be installed (I'm going to ask for that as my birthday gift!). I love the ones you ordered, and your inspiration images are just gorgeous.

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

What wonderful inspiration photos! I can't wait to see your new fixtures!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Debbie L. said...

Your new sconces are absolutely beautiful KathySue. So happy that you are pleased with them. I love the warm gold patina.

You have such an incredible way of inspiring me to do more in my spaces and to look at design in a whole different light. I would never have thought to pair gold with gray.

The inspiration pictures are stunning!

La Dolfina said...

Love your new sconces and all the gorgeous inspiration photos you've shared. It's always fun to get into your head. Thank for sharing your process with us!
Love you
xo

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Kathysue, your new sconces are just wonderful. They really are beautiful. I love a touch of gold. I know a lot of people don't like aged brass or gold gilt, but I have always thought it just added such a warm glow to any room. I am so happy your sconces are what you wanted them to be. Hugs, Marty

Blondie's Journal said...

Your new sconces are so pretty and elegant~can't wait to see where you put them. And I love all the images. I have to take a second peek at how the gray and gold go together, it sounds interesting! Thanks for pointing it out!

xoxo
Jane

Velvet and Linen said...

Your right, your sconces are beautiful!
Great selection Kathysue!

xo
Brooke

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Your new sconces are beautiful. The rooms you posted are so full of inspiration. I love Sara's style, she's definetly a class act...
hugs ~lynne~

Sue said...

I am so glad you love them. It really is wonderful when you order something and like it when it arrives! I can't wait to see what you end up doing with them.

Anonymous said...

I love all of these rooms!! I love wall sconces too, I have them in my house, they add so much! That first tufted bed is AMAZING!! XO

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Your sconces are beautiful! I am glad you love them even more in person. And, love the inspiration images. I especially love that bedroom!

diane@onlinefabricstore said...

Isnt it funny how excited we as designers get with furniture, lamps etc. I will look forward to seeing them once they are hung.

Regarding gray and gold, I am working on my second master bedroom for a client using the gold and gray color scheme. It is surprising how well it goes together. Of course, it all depends on the gray you choose but it comes out very restful and sophisticated. In one of the rooms we covered a chaise in pewter chenille and piped it with gold chenille...luscious.

Unknown said...

I know how excited you are! They are pretty magnificent, and I think you're wise to wait until you know exactly what you want. One thing that I noticed is that when the gold is the star, it really pops in the space. Beautiful examples. Can't wait to see where you go with all this.
www.divinedistractions.blogspot.com

SHERRY HART said...

I love all those images. They have a slight feminine edge to them, so I think your sconces will fit right in.
Sherry

Privet and Holly said...

They ARE gorgeous
and no doubt you'll
find the perfect spot
for them!! Just finished
watching Design Star this
morning while exercising;
it was fun to scroll down
and see your "review."
I absolutely concur with
your observations and I'd
already had the thought
that I'd seen the winning
idea done on blogs before...
including yours! Always
fun stopping by for a
design pick-me-up, Kathysue!
xx Suzanne

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Your wall sconces are beautiful and elegant and well worth waiting for.

hugs
Sissie

Dovecote Decor said...

I am quite fond of your sconces....but that Comfortable Glamour House, from Veranda looks like a shop. I get cranky when people try to disguise book jackets, or make their houses look shoppy. Otherwise, mixing gray (read silvery) and gold makes sense for the same reason that you would carry a black and brown purse. It merges the classics and creates more options. My watch is stainless and gold--same principle. Your on the right path!

Unknown said...

Can't wait till your new lovely lights make it out of the box and on to your walls. Loving the inspiration images you chose, as per usual!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

GOrgeous Kathysue, I'm on my way to cote, see what she has to say on gray :)
XOXO
Kristin

Bring Pretty Back said...

Kathysue- the sconces are amazing . I love them! If they are in the boxes for a while - that is ok. They will be beautiful whenever you are ready for them!
You are so right about the green color. I think a soft color is just what I need to do.
I am thinking the exterior will be the new deep red color with dark brown roof and taupe trim.
I would love to see the colors of your moms home! It sounds darling!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

xinex said...

The sconces are beautiful, Kathysue! Not many people in Blogland likes gold since the shabby chic went into style but I am definitely one of the gold lovers left, especially antique gold. I think it is very elegant....Christine

Hamptontoes said...

So happy for you to have received your new sconces! Isn't it just exciting! Also, what an amazing line-up of photos...loving them all!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

YEA!!! If it makes you feel any better, I had wiring completed in 2 different locations and still haven't put sconces up...I know shameful!!!

I have some of these very same images saved, so I am loving all your inspiration!

Allie and Pattie said...

Love, love, love the look and ambience of antiqued brass and gold finishes!! Can't wait to see where they end up
xoxo Pattie

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Your sconces are so elegant and beautiful. I will look forward to seeing where you put them.
Also, the images that you posted are very inspiring. I especially like the bath and the double vanity(sinks). I think it is often a room overlooked as being able to be in the catagory of elegant or stylish.
Thank you, Kathysue. I am so looking forward to a future post about the location of your sconces.