home about me our home

Friday, June 4, 2010

Ahoy! Mate!!

I love a nautical look in clothing and in a room. What I like is it’s casual nod to the ocean or life on a ship. The other thing I love is there are always stripes used with crisp white. I have a few pictures of rooms with a nautical feel to them that I thought would be fun to share since we are entering the summer months……
sailorint-4-l[1] 
Great display of the oars above the white four poster bed. Look UP!!! A small wooden row boat hanging from the ceiling. That is totally cool!! I also love the striped rug and the crispness of the blue and white. A little extra storage under the bed with a vintage suitcase.  The view of the water is not too bad either!
sailorint-9-l[1]
Simple but definitely Nautical with the display of sail boats and use of a red, white and blue color scheme.
sailorint-12-l[1]
Another clever display of oars. Look at all the great texture in this room. The tables look as if they are made from old reclaimed wood. That is a great basket on the end of the sofa. I am in love with the two long pillows on the couch, I think the pillows and the oars make this room.
sailorint-14-l[1]
I am so in love with this room. What a clever idea to use fabric from a sail. It looks as if they used it on the lamp shade also. Notice the clever use of ties on the corners of the stool on the bed. I would love this headboard in a guest room.
bag45[1]This is a large tote made out of an actual ships sail by a company called Sea Bags out of Portland, Maine. Wouldn’t this make a great summer tote to take on vacation.
handmade_tote_from_recycled_sails[1]
Another company that does recycled sails into totes and pillows and other items is called Reiter8  at Etsy.
teen-bedroom-decor-boys-nautical[1]
This is a literal take on nautical. The bed is made in the shape of an actual boat. My youngest grandson has a bed very similar to this one. I wish I had a picture of his room, my DIL is one clever decorator.
This is a nursery designed by Candace Olsen. I love the ceiling mounted compass used as a medallion  for the light fixture. Be sure and notice the little light house clothes rack painted on the wall. Clever how they put the three little lights to make it more like a real light house.
Screen-shot-2010-06-02-at-5.17.37-PM[1]
If I had to pick just one outfit that would give me the nautical look that I love it would be this darling outfit from Tory Burch that I spied on a blog post by Laura Casey of Laura Casey Interiors. If you have not visited her blog be sure and go by, she has a real eye for design. I know you will enjoy your visit there.
“Enjoy the Process” Of:
Adding a touch of Nautical to your home or your wardrobe!
Kathysue

21 comments:

Unknown said...

love the oars on the wall - and the TB outfit is perfect! .. i LOVE the nautical look!!!

*Happy Weekend*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, you know how much I love the nautical look. I love that boat bed. How cute.

Cashon&Co said...

Oh you picked gorgeous examples! Does make me want to go to the beach, unfortunately ours smells like kerosene now and has globs of oil..... Sigh....

Allie and Pattie said...

Kathysue, I LOVE that first pic and the nursery by Candace is just wonderful! I can dream about a beach house, can't I??
xoxo Pattie

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Wow, these are great - and so perfectly timed with the start of summer. Have a beautiful weekend!

PAT said...

The top photo is what I am hoping to do with the master bedroom at our lake place. It is always the "forgotten room" at the condo, so we have been discussing a makeover.

PAT said...

Kathysue, do you mind if I take that top photo for my inspiration file?

Thanks!

Karen said...

I like a nautical feel to a room too. I'm not crazy about themed rooms though and think a little restraint is always best. I like when there is just a touch of the literal.

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Hey Kathysue! I adore nautical looks, my wardrobe is full of white and blue striped clothing, with pops of red! Naturally, I like the look in interiors, too. Have a fab weekend. Will xo

vignette design said...

Hi Kathysue,
I too would pick that Tory Burch outfit. I love stripe tee shirts with white pants in the summer. So classic. Loved that nursery designed by Candace Olsen too. My 20 year old son has a nautical room, although I hung antlers in there too. Is that weird? haha
Hey, have a wonderful weekend! --Delores

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

I love the nautical look....esp. love the room with the oars and the sail cloth on the headboard. The outfit is to die for! Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

The nautical look is really hot right now. I've been getting lots of new fabrics that are perfect for the look. You might like to see the Barclay Butera line from Kravet....really pretty stuff! You've gathered some wonderful photos to exemplify the look. I love the oars over the sofa! I needed that for my post last week!
Hope you have a great weekend...working on your chair??
www.divinedistractions.blogspot.com

Beach House Living said...

Nautical works around here from dinghy boat tables, oars, old ships clocks, port holes so heavy we have no clue what to do with them, shells abound... Sails as in boat sails just waiting for my scissors. I make things from old sales like tags, and wine bags under the name Regatta Rags(tm). My shop carries Sea Bags too....they hold a ton.

La Dolfina said...

My favorite post yet!!!!
Love nautical, coastal whatever you call it I just love this look so much. The Tory Burch outfit is my idea of perfection. I could sport that look every day of the week :)
Have a wonderful weekend dear friend!!!
XO

Jules said...

I can almost smell the salt air from here!!!!!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kathysue! I love a nautical theme! If I ever have a beach house, that's what I'll do! I love the way your chair is tuning out...fabulous! I know it will be no less than perfect when you finish! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Kellie Collis said...

I can never get enough blue and white! Hope you have had a fabulous weekend xxx

Unknown said...

LC's outfit is pure perfection. The sailboat bed is in my own files..and basically I just adore this post, nautical anything always seems to make me happy!

Marcus Design said...

Beautiful!!! I love that last photo with the gorgeous outfit! And blue and white are always so perfectly fresh together aren't they?? Thanks for the eye candy!
Nancy

Leah said...

That outfit is so cute! I love this style especially for summer!

Kelley Moore said...

We are on the same wavelength this week Kathysue! I've been obsessed with all things nautical as I gear up for the cruise portion of my Italy trip.