home about me our home

Monday, April 19, 2010

A Lofty Disguise

I don’t know about you all, but I have a lot of bed pillows. I have pillows to sleep with, pillows to cuddle, pillows for decorative shams and pillows for guests only. Since pillows are a lofty item, they are not always easy to store. I need to be able to get to my pillows in case someone spends the night. So I have to store them somewhere that I can get too easily. I have a little hidden decorative way to use my lofty little friends.

If you saw my post on comfy beds, here you know that I love a fluffy comfortable, semi-casual bed like this………..
Phoebe Howard 
phoebe howard2bdb18dddd8c[1]
Notice at the end of each of these beds how lofty and puffy the duvet is? The down comforter inside the duvet cover might just be lofty, but……….
I have a way of adding some loft and also for storing my bed pillows.  Are you starting to get the picture?  I place two pillows under the fold of the duvet cover and I have a nice lofty, puffy duvet folded at the end of my bed! Aren’t I a tricky gal?!
Another idea is if you do not have a down comforter or a duvet cover you can actually take an extra sheet and wrap three extra pillows and make it look like a duvet. This is also an inexpensive way to add a touch of color to the end of your bed or just to make it look more inviting.
Look in your linen closet and see what sheet would make a good duvet cover for your bed and try it. No money spent in this process, just using what you already have. Now, that is the best kind of decorating, don’t you think?
“Enjoy the Process” Of: Finding ways to fool the eye in your home.
Kathysue

24 comments:

Cindy / Aka Chymecindy said...

I also have so many pillows. I can' sleep without hugging any pillows.

Allie and Pattie said...

Storing pillows is always a challenge-great ideas!
xoxo Pattie

Jules said...

We have three double and four single bed all piled with pillows. I can get six per double and three per single so storing is not so much of a problem at the moment...but...when we move into our little house (dream, dream!) this will be a fabulous way to do it thanks Kathysue xo

Kellie Collis said...

Looks beautiful. I actually need a new one. My one i have now just isnt fluffy enough! xx

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, I have used that trick myself and I love how it adds so much fullness to the duvet.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Pillows under the duvet? - Genius! - gotta try this..

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Super idea. You always come up with the best ideas. I don't use a duvet, but I just may have to add one. Hugs, Marty

xinex said...

Great ides, KathySue! I got my Chinese lanterns and hang 3 of them on the arbor and then created a tea tablescape for tomprrow. They look nice. Thanks for the tip!....Christine

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Kathysue, I've heard that trick of pillows in the comforter folded at the bottom of the bed. I too have a bunch of pillow on my bed. I like for it to look pretty, but don't stress about it too much. Love these ideas!

And I loved seeing more pics of your bathroom! That is so gorgeous, you did a great job putting that together. Love the blue/greens, it does feel so beachy & spa-like. Thanks for coming to see me! You're too kind on the figure thing. I have to keep up my workouts believe me!

Emily A. Clark said...

What a genius idea! I am definitely using this trick for my daughter's room. She has way too many pillows.

GerryART said...

Hey, Kathysue, what great ideas ! !
I going to look around my pillows and linens today.
Hugs,
Gerry

Averill said...

I actually don't tend to keep a bunch of pillows on our bed. Just two euro shams + two regular pillows for sleeping. I'm not the best about making the bed on a daily basis and hate the idea of leaving pillows scattered on the floor...

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Hi Kathysue- Thanks for the tip, I love it and might just have to give it a try. Wishing you a wonderful Monday and thank you for stopping by!
XO
Kristin

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

I love this idea! We've got 6 pillows on our bed (all for sleeping) and what a great idea to add loft to a nice fluffy duvet!

Tricia said...

Very tricky Kathysue~ I love it!

A Perfect Gray said...

awesome! thanks!

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

Well, aren't you a smart girl! What a great idea! I'm going to pass this one on, if you don't mind. I think I have alot of clients who would appreciate that little trick.

La Dolfina said...

Brilliant, I say... just brilliant!

Velvet and Linen said...

Fluffy pillows and a great big duvet! My idea of heaven.
Thank you for the clever tips!

xo
Brooke

DesignTies said...

What a tricky idea, Kathysue!! I also keep a roll-away Rubbermaid under-the-bed box (not sure what they're called!) to keep decorative pillows handy... but I think I'll employ your idea for those extra sleeping pillows. Thanks!

As for procrastinating... definitely allowed on a Sunday!! My problem is tha I procrastinate practically every day! It's a wonder I get anything done!! But somehow I do ;-)

Thanks for dropping by DesignTies; I'm happy you like the fireplace I designed for Kate.
Victoria
P.S. I'm crazy about that fern in your garden!!

vignette design said...

Hi Kathysue,
You make your bed like I do. I always fold up my down duvet (in thirds) at the end of the bed. Then pile the pillows on: 3 Euros with 2 std. in front. I have that second bedroom image saved too. Don't you just love the dark brown walls with the all white bedding? Makes my heart skip a beat!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Oh, I know what I'm doing with my pillows next time I make the bed...which might be in a month at the rate I do that chore. LOL I love this idea. I've just been taking the non-decorative ones that I sleep on and sticking them in the closet...I've got to try the duvet trick! :-) Thanks for sharing this idea...love it!

Unknown said...

So beautiful Kathysue! Love your bedroom! I am all about the fluff and the puff when it comes to my bed and duvet too!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh, you are so smart! laurie