home about me our home

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Comfy Beds Remind Me Of Clouds



      

I don't know if it is because it is winter and it is cold outside but I have been loving my bed.  I look forward to its comfort and warmth every night.  I started thinking about what makes a bed look and feel comfy? I am sure it is different for everyone.  For me a comfy bed has to look soft and approachable.  You know the kind where the pillows look soft, the blankets look warm and cozy and nothing looks too stiff or set. There is actually a lot to think about in making a bed look comfy. Here are a few questions to ask yourself before you attempt to make your bed the next time.


  • Do you overlap your top sheet so it shows on top of your duvet or bedspread?

  • Do you cover your pillows with your bedspread so they don't show?

  • Do you have an extra duvet or comforter at the foot of the bed in case you get cold?

  • Do you prefer a bedspread or a fluffy down comforter?

  • Do you like a precisely made bed or the semi- unmade look?

  •  How many pillows do you pile on your bed?

  • Do you stack your pillows on top of eachother or one in front of the other?
I am going to show you some pictures of beds that made me feel as if I could crawl right into them and take a long winter's nap.

I love the big white fluffy down comforter at the foot of the bed just waiting for me to pull it up and cozy in.  Notice this bed has pillows stacked on top of each other and the other pillows are one in front of the other.

Nothing but pure comfort here.  Again pillows stacked one in front of the other.

Take me away!

Here is a very luxurious bed that has the semi-unmade look. Do you like this look?

This bed is definitely in the "made," category but still very pretty and comfy looking.

I like the way the pillows are almost casually tossed on this bed.

As grand as this bed is, it still looks comfy to me. I think it is all the white.

Speaking of white, I love this bed. Notice how puffy it looks, that means comfy to me.

Here we have the un-made bed look at its best.

Again nice and puffy and white. Do you think puffy and white reminds me of clouds?


Here we are shown stacked pillows and pillows one in front of the other. Which do you prefer?

This is just pretty and comfy.

Definitely the unmade look and yet it looks perfectly presentable. I guess if it is done right it works.

Designer Phoebe Howard
Beautifully made and beautifully comfy! I love Phoebe Howard.

Designer Phoebe Howard
Phoebe does it again! Even though this room is very traditonal and simply elegant, it still looks totally approachable.  This is design at its best in my book.


Interesting how the bed sits in the middle of the room.  All the pillows and the puffy comforter at the foot of the bed make it appealing to me.

Phoebe Howard

Rachel Ashwell
Another un-made look and it still looks just fine In fact, it looks much better than fine. It looks wonderfully comfortable.

This is my very own comfy bed. You will notice I like stacked pillows , a puffy down comforter on my bed and one at the foot of my bed.  I like my sheets to be folded over the edge of my comforter. The only thing missing in this picture of my bed is, "Me!"

"Enjoy the Process" Of: Finding a new way of making your bed look comfy.

Kathysue

BTW: Matha Stewart has a great video showing how to make a comfy bed here

16 comments:

Jules said...

'Top' is ex army. NO WAY would we have the unmade look!!!! and...here I thought I was so original folding the comforter (or doona) at the end of the bed!! I started doing it 12 years ago when we moved here because the summers are so hot it just looks wrong to have them pulled up. I like pillows
one in front of the other, stacked, thrown in piles...I just like lots of pillows. Love your bed could crawl right in!

Allie and Pattie said...

I'm a lover of white bed linens-so crisp and clean looking. Loved all of these!
xoxo Pattie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, those beds are amazing. I love a big comfy looking bed. I like the semi-unmade look if I could get it right, but for some reason when I do it it just looks messy. I have to make mine up neatly and I have done my pillows both ways. Stacked and in front of each other. I guess it depends on what looks right to me at the moment...Kim

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I love to sink in to my bed! My answers to the above questions: No, no, yes (but I keep it in a drawer), fluffy comforter, I like precisely made but that doesn't always happen. As for pillows I think altogether there are eight and they get piled in front of one another.

Sue said...

I love a fluffy bed. I do wonder if the "white" beds seem to be more comfy. I just bought a dark brown comforter...which is an entirely different look for me. It is still really thick and cushy.

I don't like the unmade bed look. I never leave my bed unmade...ever. I do the stack the sleeping pillows, put the decorative ones in front style. I do turn my sheet back over the comforter. There are days when I just wish I could live in my bed!

Yours is beautiful.

modGIRL said...

great post. i want to climb right in!!! love a fluffy bed:)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Kathysue,

I'm still in my bed right now. :-) That is how much I love my comfy bed!!!

Thanks for your visit this morning!

Melissa

La Dolfina said...

For some reason putting a bed together has always been challenging for me. I can definitely embrace both ways, casually messy (unmade) or very crisp and neat. I truly think there's an art to making up a beautiful and inviting bed and you certainly have shown us some wonderful examples including your own!!
I've always been smitten by beds done up in Leontine Linens. To me they are the ultimate :)
~xo always

Anonymous said...

A lot of beautiful bedroom inspiration here, Kathysue, and your bedroom is lovely as well. Makes me want to go back to bed. :-) Have a great day!

Tricia said...

Kathysue your bed/bedroom is gorgeous! Great inspiration pics...many of which I hadn't seen before. I recently went all white and cream with my bed and am so in love with it. The fluffier the better for me.

DesignTies said...

Now you've got me wanting to snuggle up in one of these beds and take a nap right now!!

Our bed suffers from TMDP -- Too Many Damn Pillows ;-) I cut back a bit, and now it's down to 9 instead of 11. I know, insane!! I like the pillows standing in front of each other -- when I take the time to actually put them on the bed ;-)

Our bed isn't white or soft & fluffy like a cloud, but it's comfy and I love crawling into it every night :-)

Hope you'll drop by our blog and check out the Valentine's Day giveaway that we're having :-)

Kelly

Foley said...

Nothing better than a fluffy down comforter! Love all the photos...now I want to just jump in and get toasty warm!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kathysue! I just knew you were a stacker! I like them one in front of the other and have three sets of pillows plus three more throw pillows! Love my feather bed...like the puffiness under, not over! lol I had a French friend whose grandmother had made their feather bed...now THAT was a cloud!!! Happy Wednesday!...Debbie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

KS, your bed looks beautiful - it looks like Phoebe to me, and nobody does a bedroom like her. If you had told me your bedroom was one of hers, I would have believed you. laurie

vignette design said...

I can see you love white linens! I do too, but as you can see by my last post, I have lots of color on my bed. Except at our second home in the wine country. All white or mostly. I have the same iron canopy bed you featured with the shell motif in black. Check it out--under "Wine Country Guest House." Love this post. I'm thinking clouds, clouds, clouds!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Kathysue, I am a pillow girl. You can never have enough. Love all the images you have shown.