home about me our home

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Now I lay me down to sleep……

I have shown you my master bath here. I have told you about my little tricky way of hiding my pillows here. Now I am going to show you where I lay my head at night.

In choosing the colors for my Master bedroom I used the ocean as inspiration.

I love the ocean and if I had the financial means to live by the ocean I would be there in a second. I do feel very fortunate to be able to visit Carmel by the Sea quite often.

 I had a hard time finding a blue that was soft enough without being too clear of a color, therefore making it look like a baby boy’s room. I wanted a blue with a hint of green but I did not want it to be a turqouise room.  I couldn’t find one so I worked with my tinter to  make up my very own special color.

 We finally got the perfect blue for my taste.


master bed and bath 015


I also wanted the color of sand so I chose a creamy bedroom set. Yes, I said set!!

 I know I don’t usually go for a set but this was too perfect not to keep together.

 I used a Hotel bedding duvet cover that had a soft sand colored framing embroidered on it. I already had the duvet for about 10yrs or so.( I keep my bedding pretty basic so it last a long time) I fold it at the foot of my bed as you can see in the pictures so it does not get very much wear and tear.

The bench at the foot of the bed was a real find for me. I wanted a blanket chest for storage and I wanted it to be a small check in cream and sand.

 I was at Homegoods and I heard angels sing I saw a soft glow and there it was! The perfect bench for $199. Can you believe it . Okay there were no angels singing or a glow but it was really cool to find it there!!


Master Bed and Bath 2 001 (800x600)


On my side of the bed I have a small night stand that has a drawer for storage and a shelf for books.

The urn shaped lamps are vintage 1940s that I bought years ago and kept for this very room. The vase is also vintage and goes  perfectly. I also have glass balls with bubbles that remind me of water.

 The mirror is made to look like capiz shells. I found the mirrors at none other than Homegoods. I love that store!

Master Bed and Bath 2 002


On my hubby’s side is a bachelor's chest. It has great storage for some of his clothes and some of mine too.

 You will notice the symetry of the matching lamps and mirrors. I chose to put a pop of lime in here for a Spring look.


Master Bed and Bath 2 010 (785x800)
This is my armoire. It has amazing storage capacity. Behind the mirrored door is where I stack all my white towels and sheets.
On top of the armoire I have 3 blue/green glass bottles that I purchased at Big Lots for $9.99 each and three seashells. One is from Hawaii and the other two are faux. What a nice word for fake.

master bed and bath 032Oh I just noticed you can also enjoy viewing my carbon monoxide alarm on the back right. Talk about keeping it real
So, this is where I lay me down to sleep every single night.

 I am so excited I recently found some new shams and a duvet cover I will share in another post. I love a little suspense!!
“ Enjoy the Process” Of:

Making your bedroom a personal sanctuary.

Kathysue

38 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Lovely, serene, and elegant. Beautiful room! I recentlypainted our bedroom a similar pale blue- love the feel of it
xoxo Pattie

Anonymous said...

How bright, cool, fresh and cosy at the same time. Very nice!
BTW I have left a little surprise for you on my blog today.
Have a great day!
Anna @ Around My Table

Kellie Collis said...

Those bottles are gorgeous!! xx

Kat said...

Loved seeing your gorgeous master bedroom again Kathysue! The color is so perfect, I should have known that you helped design it! All the little touches - the bottle, the shells - are wonderful. This is such a peaceful space, I'm afraid I'd never leave my bed :) Hugs, Kat

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, I love your calm serene coastal inspired bedroom. I see you and I sleep on the same side of the bed. I love your vintage lamps. Looking forward to seeing your new goodies.

Cashon&Co said...

this IS a sancutary!!! the colours are so soft and soothing.... and i like the capiz shell mirrors behind the nightstands, it ties in perfectly with the shimmering tiles behind the mirror in your bathroom. I can't believe the price on those big bottles! SCORE!
xo my friend!

xinex said...

Your bedroom is so relaxing, KathySue, nice choice of colors...Christine

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

What a lovely serene bedroom. It does, indeed, look very oceany.

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Just lovely! And truly beachy. Love the stool bench too at the foot of the bed. My bed could truly use a makeover!

Tricia said...

Kathysue it is all so coastal~beachy~chic and looks so cozy. I love your choice of furniture and paint color on the walls.

TSL said...

Gor-geous! It is so hard to get the right color of blue, and you did it! Everything is so lovely, you must enjoy so much.
I love the octopus fern from another post (I am sorry I didn't catch the name though you wrote it) and your trick to hiding pillows, I will peruse your beautiful blog some more!

Melissa Miller said...

Kathysue your home is spectacular! I just adore the calming feel and soft colors of your master suite. The mirrors and bedding are so elegant and lovely. Gorgeous job creating an oasis! :)

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous. So serene.
I've just popped over from Around My Table to say hi. Your blog is lovely, I hope to be back soon.
Carole

Carolyn said...

Hi Kathysue,
I absolutely love your bedroom! It is very soothing. I love the furniture too.You did a great job-enjoy!

Carolyn

Unknown said...

Its such a lovely soothing space...could be in a magazine!

Laura Trevey said...

I am still dying over the gorgeous sink bowl, and the bed is very luxurious too!

Thank you for your sweet comments. I truly appreciate it :)
xoxo Laura

Hamptontoes said...

Very beautiful and soothing. What a lovely place to end every day. Thanks for sharing.

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

My blood pressure just dropped seeing your room! How calm and serene it is. I love your attention to detail, and ability to bring in the ocean without bringing in the "theme-y". So very pretty. Thanks for sharing...as always.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I have always loved every room in your home Kathysue, and your bedroom is no exception. It is so soothing. laurie

Lady Katherine said...

I do love every little touch you have done in your bedroom! So,lovely! I just know you smile each time you go in!

Anonymous said...

Please do the right thing and send that shell back to Hawaii. It is illegal to take shells from Hawaii's shores and it makes Pele very angry! Very bad luck...

Kathysue said...

Anon, Not to worry it was purchased in a shop as a gift from a friend. You don't find shells like this on the beaches. thankyou for your concern about my good or bad luck!! Kathysue

La Dolfina said...

Hi Kathysue,
Your bedroom is the essence of "coastal, beachy, chic" and the color of the walls is amazing!!
I love your perfectly edited style, it's so calming, just like you :)
Much love,
Terri

Averill said...

It looks great Kathysue! I love the paint color -- it's a great blue-green-gray that's very sophisticated and calming at the same time. Also adore the capiz shell mirrors. Gotta love Homegoods!

white flower farmhouse said...

Your room is so serene and calm. Love the color of the wall paint. Gorgeous! All the best, Lori

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Kathysue, you have a beautiful bedroom. I really love the mirrors and the symmetry of it all. The bed looks so cozy...in fact I could curl up there with a book I am devouring at the moment! You make me reminiscent for your neck of the woods with your reference to Carmel. I was just telling my husband last night that we need a stay at Bernardus for some R&R. I had the best spa day there several years ago. Thanks for sharing your beautiful space.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Beautiful bedroom! It looks like a restful place that I wouldn't want to leave.

cotedetexas said...

your bedroom is so beautiful! i love it!!!!
thanks for your comment today too, much appreciated. :)

Design Esquire said...

WOW! It's gorgeous. I just painted my bedroom a very similar color, and I have a similar duvet and shams (except my trim is a light blue). I just love what you've done!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kathysue, I LOVE your Master! So fresh and just perfect! Always been one of my favorite rooms!
:-)

TIG said...

how wonderfully calm and serene -- the shade of blue is perfect and adore your bedside mirrors and other seaside accents

SHERRY HART said...

Kathysue...I can't believe I have never seen this!!! This bedroom is so me with all of those beautiful colors.

Jennifer @ Belclaire House said...

What a beautiful relaxing room! I could definitely get some much needed sleep in here (I have a 4 moth old so maybe in like 18 years?). Lovely!

Janet said...

That IS the most beautiful shade of blue. Love your room. ;)

Erika Ward said...

Your bedroom is so very ethereal! I think I would oversleep every morning if my room looked like that!

frugalfrenchgirl said...

Kathysue, I absolutely love your bedroom, it's so serene and peaceful looking! I recently blogged about wanting a canopy bed, your bed is gorgeous! I'll be following!

Re Continue Blogging/no comments.
For me it's about the time invested, if no one is interested, what's the point? I see my blog as somewhat of a scrapbook of my projects, ideas and my life in general. I don't have many followers (24 last count) but know that others follow although they aren't listed. Very few take the time to comment, which is disappointing because we do invest a lot of time and effort. Is it about ego? I don't think so. I think it's about communication, sharing ideas, needing a little validation once in a while, maybe. We all need to be told "job well done" sometimes! LOL. I'll continue for now, as long as I enjoy it, even without reactions positive or negative from others.
For now....
You raise a good question though!
xx
Hugs,
Sandra

Debbie said...

Hi Kathy Sue,
Your bedroom is beautiful. It has the look of a professionally-designed bedroom. But, yet looks comfortable and cozy! Love ya'.
Debbie

The enchanted home said...

Your bedroom is stunning Kathy Sue!! I love the colors, no surprise there and this could have easily fit into my post on gorgeous bedrooms yesterday, love the soothing colors!! Well done!