home about me our home

Monday, May 21, 2012

Let's Make Choosing Paint Colors Easy!

 





Choosing colors is always going to be subjective. Rules will  change from time to time, but one rule will always stay true………..


“You Have To Love The Color!”

I know that sounds really obvious, but trust me it is not always to everyone. 


I  have worked in this industry for many years, and I can not tell you how often a client would be convinced they loved the newest trend color. 

They would want to paint their home, or a particular room in that color, whether they had loved the color in the past, or not.

As long as it was the newest trend they were ready to commit.

Source: bhg.com via Kathy Sue on Pinterest

I actually had one client start our conversation with, 

“What is the newest color people are using?”
 
paint-

It did not matter to her that it did not go with her existing pieces, she just wanted the, “New Kid On The Block!”

Case in point
  • Harvest Gold
  • Avocado Green
  • Country Blue and Mauve
  • Red dining room walls
  • Teal

     The list could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

opener_img


FACT:

 There will always be many choices of colors to choose from for your homes, in fact it is almost a bottomless pit of choices.

BUT there will only be a few colors that you will truly
LOVE!

 Point to remember


 ………Choose a color that you absolutely love. It is so important to your well being that the walls in your home wrap around you, and make you feel comfortable.

When working with my clients I would choose colors that I was pretty sure they would love, and would work with their existing pieces, or the pieces we were going to change.

I always told them, You have to love it! 

Just because it looks good with everything does not mean it is right for you.

I have chosen colors that look amazing with a particular room, but the homeowner did not like the color itself, so out it went. It was a NO-GO!!!


Simple to Remember

If you did not love the color before you will probably not love it now, or for long term. 

Image0052 (800x640)

Stick with what you  truly love. It is so easy to be swayed when standing in front of all the different paint chips.

I think we all know what we really love when it comes to color. Just look in your closet. I would venture to say, you probably wear your favorite colors most of the time.

What is your favorite color? Do you have it in your home?

If you don’t you should!!!

“Enjoy the Process! Of:
Choosing and living with colors that you love!

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON COLOR:
(JUST CLICK ON  TITLES BELOW)

ANOTHER BLOG POST 

PINTEREST COLOR BOARD

 

19 comments:

michele said...

white (of course) and gray-blue, and indeed i do!

michele

NanaDiana said...

That is the best advice you can give someone. If you pick a color you love your pieces will automatically fit in around it...because you have probably chosen those because you love THOSE, too.

I am the same way- I will not paint a trendy color "just because"...I have to LOVE it first and foremost.

And..don't you love how they tried to bring some of those old colors back...like the burnt orange appliances by calling it Paprika...or the Avacado by calling id Olive and it was the SAME color as far as I could see...some things should only ever come around once!

Hope you had a great weekend- xo Diana

Vidya said...

Love it! nice write-up on choosing color..

Vidya said...

Love it! nice write-up on choosing color.. something that is so subjective.. you love the color on your wall or you hate it!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I think back to my favorite crayons in the giant Crayola box that I got each Christmas. :) Still my favorites.

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Great advise. Color can really effect how you feel. You have to paint your home with colors you love and what you can live with. Great post!

Babs said...

It took me a long time to figure out that I like "indoor" colors and "outdoor" colors. The only color I use a LOT in both places is GREEN,and white, of course.
I use more warm Tuscan colors in the house, and English garden colors of pinks, blues/purples and white in the garden. I guess you're supposed to extend the colors of your home into the garden, and I tried that, but was never happy with it...maybe because my house is gray and white.
I do like sea colors in the Summer and try to work a bit of that into my decor/vignettes . LOVE those colors in your first photo. Thanks for the great post.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Green is my lifelong favorite! I've used it in every home I've owned since the late 80's. The shade of green varies (I went from Hunter to Teal to Olive to Apple to Moss and now I'm loving Emeralds - with yellow!) I don't care if it's the "in" color or not - green is forever (for me)!

www.chattafabulous.com

Anonymous said...

AMAZING POST:) Your blog is so wonderful and I will happily follow..do you have twitter??

If you want some décor inspiration from Sweden, check out my blog:)

Have an awesome week.

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(Sweden)

vignette design said...

I can't imagine picking a color because it's trendy. Case in point: grey. No Way Gray for me! I like warm, muddy colors. Green especially. It goes with everything. You will never see blue in my home, even if it is trendy. Except for my son's room. His walls are a denim blue and he won't let me paint them. Yet...
You truly have to love the colors you choose because you have to live with them.

Stacy CUrran said...

You make such good points Kathysue. I never really go for what the trend is, but I guess over time my taste gets influenced by trends. I love the photos at the beginning of this post - the combinations are beautiful!
Stacy

Bring Pretty Back said...

Kathysue - LOVE THIS! I even have a little section in my book about it! My entrance is HOT pink and I am madly in love with it!! GREAT post my friend!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How interesting that you posted on color today...since I posted about summery yellow! lol I did your color test from FB and was violet. Here's what they said: "You surround yourself with art and music and are constantly driven to express yourself. You often daydream. You prefer honesty in your relationships and believe strongly in your personal morals."
Interesting! That's pretty much me! Thanks for the link! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

SHERRY HART said...

Well...it is no secret about my love for blue! But when I see a beautiful room in another shade...I want to cheat on blue :)

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ok...color wiz...We need to re-do our pool area walls and I am stumped.

Victoria said...

Aqua and yes I do wear it.

Toy Carli said...

Great advice, Kathy, as usual. I especially love how wall color can change everything with a stroke of the brush. It's scary sometimes, but it's the cheapest change we'll do or undo. Love your choice of topics for your blog. This one is huge.

The French Tangerine said...

You have to know I would love this post! What gorgeous colors and what great information! thank you for taking the time to put all this helpful info together! I'm afraid I have quite the long list of colors I absolutely love!! It's so hard for me to pinpoint only a few..
XO
Jan

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Great advice. Are you gearing up for Summer...It's so hot here...it feels like it's in full swing. XO, Mona