home about me our home

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My 2010 Christmas Dining Room



*Simple Sparkle*


My dining room is pretty versatile and can take on many different looks. Two years ago I chose a colorful look with pinks and red. Just click here!

Last year I took a more nature inspired approach. You may click here to see it, if you would like.

This year it was motivated by a piece that had lots of *sparkle.*


**This mirror!**

Christmas mirror 004 (800x600) 

Each little jeweled grouping reminded me of a snowflake . When I saw this mirror I had to get it because I knew this would be the center of my Christmas dining room table.

I worked on it and edited and edited. I wanted *sparkle* but not gaudy so editing became very important.

Here are some of the pieces that did not make the cut!


christmas dining room 2010 007 (600x800)
Hmmmm??? It is all *sparkly* and it is all the colors I love. Why is this not working?

Let me tell you why! All the elements in of themselves are probably perfect for that part of the room except for one important factor.

They say waaaaay too much. They are all saying. “Look at me , no look at me, no me!!!” I want *sparkle* and I want the mirror to be the star the base of the whole center piece so this is what I did……………


Blog Christmas 2010 029 (800x600)  I used what I call my neutrals of black and white with pops of green.

Clear simple glass candlesticks were used and instead of candles I used round ornaments. For extra *sparkle* I randomly placed stones that are varied sizes.
 They match the stone in the mirror this way I am repeating elements. You will also notice the repeat of the round shape in the ornaments,stones and the candlesticks.

  I kept the  color scheme tight by using black and white with green. I keep the continuity by using elements of *sparkly* stones, clear candle sticks and votives.

 The only pattern used here is in the black and white striped balls which is repeating the pattern in the ribbon and the green striped wallpaper.

 Now I am happy, this works for me!!


Blog Christmas 2010 039 (800x762)
I love the way it *sparkles* in the dimmed light. It is actually more *sparkly* in person. The light just dances in the stones and clear candle sticks.


Blog Christmas 2010 033 (800x597)
My attempt at being artsy. I captured this shot from a mirror hanging opposite the table. In this shot you can see where I hung my lanterns this year.

 I have a mirror on each side of my window and I chose to hang the lanterns on the mirror instead of the window like I did in last years nature inspired decor.


Blog Christmas 2010 035 (800x600)
Now you can see both sides of the window. I love these lanterns. Notice how the candle looks as if it is floating. It is actually on a very thin metal shelf.

 I used a simple black and white striped ribbon making a loose bow that has some greenery and a few small green balls in the center. I repeated the ribbon element by outlining my round table with the same ribbon. I simply pinned it on making sure the straight pins don't show.

So dear readers there is my Christmas dining room. I so appreciate your patience with me.

I still feel as if I did not capture the true essence of the room. I am very limited in my photography skills. In good conscience I could not keep you waiting any longer!

What would make this look even better is to have some loved ones sitting around visiting, eating and laughing. Now, that is what all this decorating is really about…… to make it an inviting environment for the people I dearly love.


Merry, Merry Christmas!

Kathysue

I am linking to:

http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2011/11/tablescape-link-party-homegoods-contest/

45 comments:

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Kathysue,

That is a remarkable result with that mirror! You did it perfectly; no overkill but just simple forms with sparkle. The colors are working great with the wall paper and with your 'favorite' striped ribbon!
Congratulations with the result. Now you can start working on the dinner for your loved ones. The setting is there; a Feast for the eye...

Enjoy your days prior to the Christmas day!

Mariette's Back to Basics

Angela said...

All years are creative and stunning. I really like the stripes and the mirrors in your room. Such a different approach yet very traditional feeling too. Adding pink in 2008 was a neat idea. Maybe next year you can do the pink and green together. That's always a pretty combination too. Merry Christmas.

Jules said...

Love those black/white balls and totally understand your choice of the mirror. Have a wonderful and very happy Christmas My wish for you is that it is every bit the day you are dreaming of! xx

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh, Kathysue...Of all of your dining rooms, this is the Kathysueiest! I LOVE it! I think these are your colors...ar least, to me! And I can picture your sweet family gathered around it! You hit the nail on the head with this one...simple, classic, clean, elegant...so Kathysue! Happy weekend, my friend! Miss you...hugs...Debbie

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I don't think your photography skills are limited at all...you captured this beautiful, enchanting room wonderfully. Very elegant and very pretty! (-:

Unknown said...

Beautifully sleek and modern. I love it. That mirror is amazing and those lime green and black balls are sooo much pop and fun.

Marigene said...

Beautiful centerpiece!

Aledia said...

Love Love Love it!! Thank you for sharing and have a blessed week!

Blooming Rose Musings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vignette design said...

I agree with Debbie: this is so Kathysue! Why? Because of the color scheme. Love those black and white stripe ornaments along with the green ones. They look fabulous elevated. The mirror centerpiece is amazing! I can see why you used it for your foundation and inspiration. And the sparkle is perfect! Yes, you did capture the essence of your dining room. Now, what plates are you going to use? details, details, details!
Love, Delores

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Oh my goodness, your dining room is so very lovely! It is elegant and chic and stunning. Gorgeous! The mirror definitely makes one think of snowflakes. The colors add exquisite elegance and the black and white balls are so chic and striking. The sparkle is amazing and the mirrors and lanterns are perfect. Simply elegant. Gorgeous!

(Sorry about the delete...my mouse was in the wrong spot when I clicked it)

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. The simplicity is just my style.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Girl, this is absolutely beautiful!!! I love the black and white stripe and the mirror is perfection. Your diningroom just screams pretty!

hugs
Sissie

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Beautiful! I love it!

black tag diaries said...

what a fabulous idea!! love the colors too:)

Acanthus and Acorn said...

It was so fun to hear your thought process...it was like listening in on a conversation! I use so many nautral elements, that I was craving some sparkle too...plus the rest of family says it feels more like Christmas with these elements!

Anonymous said...

Kathysue, this is breathtaking! Wonderfully festive and gorgeous.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Your dining room looks great! I love how festive it is. Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

So CHIC!! you need your own book!! xoxo Eddie + Jaithan

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Beautiful Kathysue! The final selection is perfect! I love the lanterns too! Merry Christmas!

Tricia said...

This is an absolutely stunning table! It's both elegant and dramatic -- and adding the black and white ribbon was the perfect touch!

Tricia Rose Rough Linen said...

Makes me think of Russian domes! Inspired!

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

Well, aren't you just the cleverest thing! Looks so pretty! You were so right about the mirror...great find. Wish I were close enough to sit around the table with you!

SHERRY HART said...

Kathysue....I don't know how much time you spent doing it but you absolutely got it just right! I would not change a thing. Stunning!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Kathysue - love it! So elegant, yet simple. It should be in a magazine pic, and yet it looks warm, too. Well done! Linda

Scribbler said...

What a beautiful imaginative centerpiece. It's giving me ideas!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Oh how I LOOOOVE that mirror! It is the perfect centerpiece! The ornaments in the candlesticks are perfect and so YOU! I love the black and white stripes! Now, please set a table here for us to see, I know it would be spectacular!!!! XO, Pinky

quintessence said...

Love your creative centerpiece. It's like a sparkling jewel!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

I. Love. That. So. Much! What sophisticated glamour that is. It is exactly what that mirror called for. I think it's nothing short of gorgeous and the color scheme is lovely.

desiree said...

Really beautiful! Your dining room is so unique---I love the black and white!

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

I wish I lived closer. I could be available to stop by and chat around your table about anytime. Beautiful job. Merry Christmas! Mona

Anonymous said...

It's very pretty, Kathysue! I love your sparkly mirror and I think you did right in not having too many elements competing with it. The random sparkly stones are a nice touch too. It is kind of frustrating that you can't completely translate the sparkle into photos, isn't it? I have the same trouble.

We're staying warm here, but winter's definitely starting out with a bang! Glad to hear that you got your festive frost this morning :-)

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Two words came immediately to my mind..elegant and simply delicious! It's the elegance that captures me...something I can't quite accomplish so I love to find it in the home of others! How beautiful. Simple and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you really made good use of that pretty mirror. Your centerpiece is just stunning( and so were the previous years). Have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

Unknown said...

Kathysue...your dining room is lovely and I love this mirror you used for inspiration. So festive and so sparkly :)

Blessings!
Gail

Low Tide High Style said...

Beautiful! I love the combination of colors and all of the sparkle! Who needs snow when you have such beautiful decor inside!

Kat :)

lvroftiques said...

A perfect mix Kathysue! You always get it just right! And yes the only thing that needs to be added is family and friends.....that would be me! *winks* Vanna

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty this is! Love that beautiful mirror and they way you built upon it's inspiration.

Kitty Deschanel said...

Wow! This is beautiful :)

Entertaining Women said...

You have a great eye for design...this is a unique and inspired interpretation of Christmas...You fell for the mirror, and you remained focused and followed through well. Great job! Thank you for sharing your sophisticated and charming design. Cherry Kay

Denise C said...

I featured your tablescape on my blog - http://firstadream.blogspot.com/2010/12/inspired-by_19.html

diane@onlinefabricstore said...

I love the touch of black and white in the ornaments..it is beautiful and sparkly. Kathysue, I have so enjoyed getting to know your blog this year and look forward to your posts in 2011. I hope you have also had a chance to visit our blog as well. I wish you a wonderful holiday with your family.

Kitchen Cabinets PA said...

Been browsing your blog, great pics, very Christmas-y! I'm glad I came across your blog.

Unknown said...

How did I not see this???? It's amazing. The black and white ribbon and little touches . . .with the green. It is all wonderful. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Lauren@BaylorSays... said...

I'm so excited to say that I have a mirror just like that but rectangular that I just moved out of my entry. Yay, would never have thought of using it as a tray on my table! Too clever, what a beautiful setting. XOXO