home about me our home

Friday, December 17, 2010

Feeling A Little OFF Balance!!



Are you feeling a little off balance? I think this time of year that happens quite often.
3 (400x266)
I am not going to pretend that I have all the answers. Nor will I say it never happens to me.

I will say this however, I really do fight against it. I try really hard to keep my Fa-la-la spirit going♪♫♪♫

There are a few things that have helped me through out the years. Probably nothing too new or earth shattering, but just practical ways of doing or looking at things that have helped me.


Planning and Prepping:
  • We have all been through several holiday seasons. It comes around the same time every year, so we really do know what to expect. Where we go wrong is ignoring what we already know.

  • We know who we have to buy gifts for so MAKE A GIFT LIST!!! Along with this list, I put possibilities so that when I go looking, I keep on track.(I like to use 3x5 cards, one for each person or family)

  • Make sure the linens and dishes we need are accessible and ready to go.


  • When you make a To-do list actually put the chores on your calendar so you will allow enough time in each day to get done what needs to be done.
We often make a list and there just is not enough hours in the day to accomplish what we think in our minds, that we can get done.

 By putting it on the calendar you will see exactly how much time you have to get things done in the month of December.

  • Keep it simple!! This is one thing I remember from year to year.

Use The Lessons You Learned Last Year!:
  • Write down what worked really well for you last year and repeat it this year!

  • Take pictures of the way you decorated and keep them with your decorations.  If it looked good last year it will look good this year!
( I have clients and friends alike that I have helped from year to year to decorate their homes and they take pictures of what I did for them. That way they can duplicate from year to year!) I have very smart clients.

  • When you see a new idea, make a copy of it and keep it with your Christmas notes or in your photo file for next year's decorating.

What about the FOOD?!!:
  • Make a menu for upcoming dinners or parties and buy the staples ahead of time and the fresh products right before.

  • This is where I cheat a little!!! Buy your desserts or goodies from your favorite bakery or grocery store. Be sure and get things that can freeze or be put together easily at the last minute.

Christmas Drop-In’s or Last minute guest!
  • I love people to drop-in on me. If they do that, I know they came to see ME and not just my house.

  • I always keep biscotti on hand, which keeps almost forever.  That and a cup of Christmas tea always feels special.

  • Christmas napkins are always special and easy to put out last minute.

  • Redi-whip and crushed candy canes in hot chocolate is a real special treat for young visitors as well as we more mature visitors.

  • Keep hostess- type gifts on hand and wrapped and ready to go. Cocktail napkins, candles, Christmas soaps are always appreciated.

Running out of TIME!!:

This happens to us all and this is where I learned the most important lesson of all……….

The important things truly will get done.  Remember the list you made at the very beginning of the season? You made that list like we all do.

At the beginning we are all filled with enthusiasm and energy. As time marches on, and it does march to its own drummer we wax and wane.

At the end ,we let the little stuff go and concentrate on what is important. That my friends is why I can say…….

 “The important things always get done!”

One more thing! Remember it is the people in our lives that are important so time spent with a loved one or special friend is the best gift of all!!!!


Merry Christmas!!
Kathysue

10 comments:

Jules said...

Whilst it is lovely to be organised and to have every thing go right...it is Christmas...it is family and close friends..so if it all goes wrong it doesn't really matter does it?!! This is a day about love, love for each other and working together and being together and remembering what Christmas is really all about.
Have a wonderful day and I wish you lots of laughter, love and good cheer. xx

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Kathysue,

Well after today I probably can focus more on Christmas too. We've had so many check ups and doctor's appointments that it kind of dominates life for a while. Also I MISS being in the tropics for the Christmas season. Being on Orchard Road in Singapore is something hard to describe to anyone who's never been there. Also Jakarta looked like a fairytale during the Christmas and New Year's season. Needless to say that the weather lifts you up too. Amaryllis just grow there naturally and so lush, plus their orchids. Creates quite a different Christmas setting but I LOVED it for those thee years we lived there... Besides having ALL our family live outside of the U.S.A.

Lots of love,

Mariette's Back to Basics

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Kathysue, it seems you get more done than most of us. I am running like a chicken with my head cut off. I am determined to get the basics done by the weekend. Then maybe next week I can take a deep breath and just enjoy it all. Love you, and hope you are really enjoying the process. Hugs, Marty

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Excellent tips...I really like the one about writing down what worked well for that year. Actually, I am pretty organized, but it can still be overwhelming. Merry Christmas!

vignette design said...

Great tips Kathysue, now if only I would follow them! haha. I'm still Christmas shopping--and it looks like I'll be shopping in the rain today!
For some reason, I'm not panicked yet! I know it will all get done like you said. The important things always do.

Anonymous said...

Actually, RUNNING AWAY worked well for me last year. I just didn't manage it this year!

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Kathysue, these are great tips. Wish I were better at following them! You are right,it does all work out in the end...I think we all get a little panic stricken even if we are very organized. Who knows, maybe that's part of the fun.
Hope you are enjoying the season. Your Christmas "enjoy the process" series has been wonderful. We very much appreciate all your hard work.

Low Tide High Style said...

Kathysue this is really good advice! I will have to do the 3 x 5 card idea, instead of my scraps of paper!

Thanks for the wonderful tips!

Kat :)

lvroftiques said...

Great stuff Kathysue! It all boils down to being organized and letting go of the small stuff. But I'm with Tricia Rose on this one....Wouldn't a holiday run away to an Inn be wonderful? I need to try that next year *winks* Vanna

A Room For Everyone said...

Your posts are so good..What great advice! I think I follow most of it but you've given me a couple of good points I hadn't thought of. Have a lovely, lovely Christmas in your beautiful home. I love your beautiful centerpiece on your dining table by the way..Rachaelxx