home about me our home

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Feathers Are NOT Just For The Birds!!!

Don’t worry! This is still going to be a Christmas post!!!! In fact, this post is going to be about what our fine feathered friends wear!!

FEATHERS!

A few years ago I decorated my friends home for a wedding shower that was held in the winter.  Instead of using the bride's wedding colors we used the colors of the season. Silver, soft blue and white!

One of the prominent elements in the decor was white feathers. They gave a snowy, ethereal  look to the room.  I used several of my clear apothecary jars and filled them with the feathers. It all really did look heavenly.


Today's post is going to be on using feathers in your Christmas decor.  If you keep reading to the end of the post I will be showing how I used feathers in this years Christmas decor in my own home!!

1 sarag rucgardsib (450x604)
This first image is a tree done by Sarah Richardson. It appears that she has used feather boas as garland. Very pretty with the touches of blue and silver. Keep reading and you will see how I applied this look in my home in a simplified way.


3 (400x400)
The feathers you use don’t have to be soft and white. They can be bright and bold like these peacock feathers.


4 (350x350)
How about a bright pop of red or green?


6 (210x311)
Back to soft and ethereal.


5 (400x300)
A collection of milk glass on a bed of feathers. So soft and pretty.


2 (300x400)
I am so in love with this look. Call me silly, but I really do love this look. Just look at all the lovely textures in this image. I am on the hunt for angel wings for next years decor!!


8 (720x480)
Gorgeous and elegant. One single feather and look at the drama it makes.


7 (310x400)
Another boa garland.

A couple of years later I was looking at my guest room and just wanted to add a touch of Christmas. The room is a soft vanilla with a very soft blue ceiling. I have white molding and bedding.  I remembered the feathers that I used so I re-purposed them in my guest room.


Christmas Tree 2008 093 (800x600)
I chose to soften the hard edges of my unfinished window with a boa and a wreath hanging from a translucent ribbon in my guest room last Christmas 2009.


Christmas Tree 2008 094 (800x600)
To carry the feather element around the room I added a dove sitting on one corner of a picture with a soft blue ornament to bring out the blue in the ceiling of the guest room. Now lets take a look at how I used feathers in my Christmas decor for this year.

Feathers In My Home for 2010

trial 2 010 (600x800) 
This year I chose to use the feathers in my entry hall. They reminded me of angel wings in a whimsical way. You also see in this picture my precious figurines of Mary and baby Jesus. In this section of my home I use all white, gold and silver. I like to keep it peaceful and serene.



trial 2 003 (800x600)

trial 2 007 (600x800) 
Looking into my living room you can see a small narrow tree in a white vessel decorated with a narrow boa and white lights. I had hubby hang my new sconces. I added a soft celadon satin ribbon tied in a loose knot to hold the silver and gold  ornaments. This room is actually a very soft vanilla with white trim and a celadon ceiling with white molding on the ceiling.

trial 2 005 (600x800)
I wanted to show this picture just because I love the way the chandelier reflects in my marble floor. You know how much I love a little sparkle!!!


"Enjoy the Process" Of:

Adding an ethereal or dramatic look with feathers to your Christmas decor.

Kathysue

19 comments:

Beach House Living said...

Love the peacock feathers. A single white feather wreath is usually placed in our white and navy bedroom. It's just so fun!

Angela said...

Very pretty and I love the oh-so-slightly-different look by adding feathers. The tree in the first picture is my favorite and would look darling in a young girl's bedroom at Christmas. Thank you for sharing.

Denise@alloverroses said...

This is a gorgeous post today! Your house is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos with us. Merry Christmas!
Denise

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

And I do have some feathers to use too.............got me thinking KS. Looks lovely and I think all of our chairs should have angel wings. XO

tinyskillet said...

I am so glad you showed this. I have been using feathers in my Christmas decorations for awhile now. I make shell angels from scallop shells that we find and the fluffy white feather I use for the wings. This year I added a fluffy white feather owl ornament that I found at Pier 1. I love all the different feather uses that you posted. I'm on the search for more!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Thanks so much for sharing...never thought about using feathers in my decor. Hop over and share this at my OPEN HOUSE. Merry Christmas!

Blessings,
Linda

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I saw the Sarah Richardson show where she used the boas on the tree and I loved the effect. I like the way you have used feathers in your living room too.(-:

La Dolfina said...

Just beautiful Kathysue... everything!!
I love your new sconces and I spy the gorgeous chair you and your hubby did a DIY on too. That room is so peaceful and serene... sort of like your front porch in summer :)
Your home reads just like it's lovely owner, warm and inviting with the just the right amount of sparkle!!!
So much love to you this weekend!!!
Terri

Party Resources said...

I love the white mantle and white feather wreath! Your post is all set for 9 am on Monday so you can direct your readers. Merry! Merry!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Kathysue,

Let me begin with complimenting your gorgeous marble floor! That really looks great with the chandelier being mirrored in it.
The single peacock feather is PURE ELEGANCE!
For your entry hall it would have looked also adorable to use a bedding of feathers for Mary and her baby Jesus! Like with the milk glass picture.
For your boa, I loved it more on your guest bedroom's window. Maybe I look with my fashion eye but we were always taught that it is all about: Silhouette; Proportion and Fit.
Proportion is also important in a room. The boa is drawing all its attention (away) from Mary and Jesus... It is pretty on its own though!
Just a thought!

Have a wonderful week leading up to the real Christmas!

Mariette's Back to Basics

Heather said...

I love Sarah Richardson, so my favorite is the feather garland! Thanks for sharing these great feather ideas.

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Hi Kathysue, Your entry is so beautiful, makes me want to run out and buy a boa. What's so appealing is that the all white like that could easily carry you right into January as it feels wintry, as well. You are endless in your inspriation! I don't know how you do it!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I really love this idea! I would have never thought to use feathers in Christmas decor but it is so lovely.

Love your mirror treatment and your sweet tree.
You have such a wonderful touch.

hugs
Sissie

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Kathysue, what a lovely idea. I had really never thought of using feathers before but I LOVE the way they look on your tree and in your entry hall. Beautiful! We have always decorated with birds on our tree and they all(of course) have feathers but I never thought of just adding feathers. They look beautiful. So angelic! You are so wonderfully creative and always an inspiration.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I LOVE the feather boas on the teees, it looks like rows of snow! So soft and pretty! YOur marble floor is gorgeous and the way the chandy is reflected in it. XO, Pinky

Cashon&Co said...

It's so great, because you put so much thought into each post! I l would of never thought of this but what a great topic!

lvroftiques said...

Great stuff Kathysue! I love the feather boas on the tree! And that image with the angel wings floors me every time I see it. And so does your picture of the dove holding the ornament...simple perfection girlfriend! (I'm adding that one to my favorites) Of course I always savor views of your home *winks* OK my friend do you know where I can find myself about 20 boas for a deal?.....Or a boatload of feathers? Because I would love to go crazy with them! And it's all your fault lol! Love Vanna

chisenfam said...

Loving the white boas!! ON the trees they look like soft, fluffy snow. I WANT one, but wouldn't know where to look! We have peacock feathers upstairs in our storage room, I might just have to go rummaging around up there, 30 degrees or not!!

Anonymous said...

I've loved that Sarah Richardson tree/room since the first time I saw it! I think feathers are a really fun addition and they really seem to be popular right now. I like your feather wreath and boa on your mirror.

I'm glad you're liking the facebook page. It's something new for me and I haven't had it up that long so I'm sort of learning as I go. :-)