home about me our home

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Being A Christmas Hostess On The Spur of The Moment!

During the Holidays we can always have a drop-in guest!! I love when that happens because I know they came to see ME and not necessarily the condition of my home.

If you have a little bit of a notice be sure and light the candles and turn on your Christmas music.

There are a few things I like to keep on hand for these wonderful little surprises.


Ghirardelli hot chocolate mix. This is the best hot chocolate mix I have found.


1 (225x225)
3 (127x120)
2 (266x190)




I add whipping cream such as Redi-whip and some crushed candy canes and it is a real treat.  I also have left the candy cane whole and placed it in the hot chocolate to use as a stirrer.


7 (275x183)
Sometimes I step its flavor up a notch and add some of Starbucks peppermint syrup. You can purchase it at any Starbucks for $10.95.


For the tea drinker I love Peet’s Coffee Winter Solstice tea. It is such a wonderfully soft winter spice black tea with a touch of vanilla to mellow it out. Yum!! I will be right back, now I want a cup of tea!!


1 (225x225) (2) 6 (259x194)

Okay I am back with my hot cup of tea, YUM!! Now where was I? Oh Yes, hot drinks.

I also love hot mulled cider. I think  William Sonoma’s  mulling  spices are one of the best. Trader Joe’s has one that is also very good.

 A cinnamon stick added  will make it feel more special. I also add either a slice of apple or a twist of orange. So easy to do and it makes it feel more special.

Now if you want something cold and refreshing and very festive looking try a cranberry spritzer. I just use Sierra mist, cranberry juice and a touch of lime for a red and green festive drink!!

untitled (313x360)


If you add a festive red and white striped straw it becomes even more special.


2 (430x383) 
You can get 20 straws from Jack and lulu for $6.00!!


Now onto a little treat to go with all of these fun and easy drinks.

I love Trader Joes Pumpkin bread topped with a dollop of Redi-whip!!

It is so easy to make and if you have a little advance notice you can pop one in the oven and the house smells amazing as you greet your guest.

8 (163x309)
I keep at least 3 boxes in my pantry at all times during the holidays.

The other treat I like to keep on hand is Trader Joe’s mini almond or chocolate biscotti.


I keep a festive red lacquered tray ready to go with all the essentials for coffee or tea. It is also really handy for my own daily use.
christmas hostess 003 (800x600)
None of the above holiday hints are earth shattering.  They are easy to do and  are all done with things you can keep in your pantry or refrigerator at all times.
I also like the fact that they are inexpensive ideas.


I hope this will help you with your very special drop-in guest. They are my favorite kind!!!!
“Enjoy the Process” Of:

Easy entertaining!!

Merry Christmas

Kathysue

10 comments:

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I love Peet's teas, especially the loose leaf teas. All of these drinks sound good for this time of year.(-:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Kathysue, you are always so thoughtful and I know you are the perfect hostess all of the time. These are all wonderful suggestions and the tray is perfect. Hugs, Marty

Heather said...

These are great items that I should stock up on. Personally, I struggle when people "drop by". Your ideas would probably help me be a much better hostess. Thank you!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

It's just a wonderful reminder to keep the pantry stocked and ready to have friends "drop by". I would love to be one of those friends. I can only imagine you are the perfect hostess!
xo Yvonne

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

I would love to drop by and chat with you, I'm sure you are the perfect hostess always! Mona

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Great ideas! I use an industrial tool tray for all my coffee/tea essentials. Also, not long ago I wanted to make hot chocolate for my son and we didn't have any mix so I followed the recipe on the Unsweetened Chocolate powder box (with sugar and cream/milk)...rich but surprisingly delicious!

Going to Trader Joe's for the biscotti.
Mary Ann

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

We are on the same page. I have the hot cocoa and the mulled cider. Wouldn't be without it during Christmas!
Thank you for sharing and becoming a follower.
Teresa

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I would love to drop by and share a cup of cocoa with you! I never have any drop over people!

Blooming Rose Musings said...

These are great ideas. It's so funny that you mentioned the biscotti because today I stopped at Trader Joe's and picked up a box of the chocolate biscotti...just for me!!! Only kidding, I will share it.
Well, don't be surprised if several of us drop by for a cup of hot chocolate or tea. You definitely are the perfect hostess. Great ideas.
Thank you!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

The straws are so fun and retro and I know that TJ pumpkin bread mix...I was just there today!!! Let's have tea...it looks so inviting.