home about me our home

Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Saga of the Porch Continues

My porch saga continues. In my exuberance to be Miss Clean Jeans I washed the cushions for my chairs. Before I washed them I repaired some stitching that had come loose. Now remember I know how to sew but it is not something I like to do at all nor do I have a sewing machine. I mended them by hand, washed them and they came out of the wash pretty well. I was very pleased, but being anxious to get the porch put back together I dried them. Mistake!!! They shrunk and now they are not the right size for the chairs. This would not be a big deal but these cushions are round not the ordinary square cushion. I need 19” round cushions in a natural color. I have looked all over and I can not find ready- made in that size. This is starting to become the Never Ending Story!! Oh I almost forgot, I also bought a rug. It is a jute rug with a  simple black pattern.  Most would probably have liked it but I am the girl that likes things to be a little understated and the pattern just felt too busy. So, now I need two new cushions and a rug. Will this ever end? Do you ever start a project with great enthusiasm only to be stopped by snags in your plans. I can compromise but not on the over-all look. I will wait until  I can get what I had in mind when I started the whole project.
I do want to share with you a web-site that I found that will make outdoor cushions to your specifications here. They are actually pretty reasonable, especially when you can specify size,shape and fabric. I think I am going to bite the bullet and just order them.(only problem they take 2-3 wks. to get) If anyone knows of 19in. ready-made, round cushions in a natural color(Off white), Please let me know. I will leave you with some pictures of some fun cushion combinations I found..........
Apartment Therapy

Google images

“Enjoy the Process” Of: Making your outdoor area inviting.(I am seriously trying)
Kathysue

15 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Don't ya hate that when it happens!!! I am afraid to remove mine because I probably can't get them back on. I usually just take them outside soap them down and use the hose on them and let them dry in the sun. Works. Hey!

Hope you find something that works.

hugs
Sissie

Hamptontoes said...

Oh Kathysue,
I can relate. Yes, this type of scenario has happened to me.

Allie and Pattie said...

Oh, boy. I did that once some years back. Lesson learned- patience, Pattie. I HATED having to spend the money to replace something I'd had that was fine.
Love the combos you posted-the second one with stripes and toile in black and white rocks!
xoxo Pattie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Kathysue, I know you will find just the right thing. I am with Sissie, I just hose mine off. The wonderful outdoor fabrics these days work just perfect for that. BTW, Home Fabrics in my area has some outdoor rugs on sale for $40 that are really great looking. Some really simple ones with no pattern and then some with just small pattern. Anyway, you might check it out. Love ya. Hugs, Marty

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh Kathysue...I feel your pain! For me, if I can see in my head what I want, it doesn't exist! lol I am sure you will find just the perfect thing, though! Happy weekend...hugs...Debbie

Jules said...

Mine faded so badly they look ridiculous!!!!!! I know exactly how you feel! xo

Tricia said...

Bummer Kathysue, but I'm sure you'll find a solution! I was just having coffee out on my back porch and thinking about your post with the fabric porch cover attached to bamboo poles in flower pots... :)
Have a great weekend.
T

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

Home Decorators as 18" cushions. I don't know if you could make that work or not. I can do custom ones for you, but it would probably take the same length of time or more to complete.
Sorry for the trials you're having. It seemed like such a fun and easy project, huh? I've done that before...more than once, because I don't learn lessons well!...so I feel your pain. Have you looked around your area for a workroom that could do them for you? There's bound to be one. In the meantime, get started on those curtains, girl!

vignette design said...

Kathysue,
Sometimes, Homegoods or even Ross has cushions, but also outdoor rugs. I think Home Decorators has inexpensive outdoor rugs too. I know you will figure it out and it will turn out beautiful! I have a person on this side of the bay that can make anything! Maybe worth a trip?

Tammy@InStitches said...

Oh no ! I can tell outdoor season is coming because I've had lots of requests for cushions in the past 2 weeks.

ashlina {the decorista} said...

hi my love! so curious as to what is happening over on your porch today. i am really looking forward to seeing the after shots! woo hoo. i know you are kicking butt over there. about the cushions...these things happen, sigh! maybe you were meant to have WAY more fabulous ones. :) (at least thats where my mind goes in these times) sending good luck vibes your way! lots of love to you! :)

Marija said...

I can't tell you how much I love that first picture. Excited to check out your source for outdoor cushions. I have some red ones that I love one minute and hate the next. The problems with being creative and seeing too much!

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Marija

Anonymous said...

Hi, love all the porch inspirations, actually black and white stripes are everywhere recently, very in! I like it in combination with yellow, it warm things up a bit. Hope you had a good weekend! Good luck with the porch and keep us updated. TC,
Anna

Anonymous said...

Those are some gorgeous inspirational pictures! It makes me want to go out on my front porch and just throw everything in the dumpster!!! But, alas, I cannot do that, so I must also find the perfect cushions! I am so much enjoying your blog. I'm going to sign up to follow you and I invite you to visit my blog and if you like it, please follow me as well! I have much more reading to do here!

Timeless Style Design said...

Just found your blog...love all your great inspiration photos/your taste. I'm a follower!