home about me our home

Friday, April 23, 2010

Outdoor Curtains or Bust!!

Design_Graphic_08[1] 
Design New England
I did a post on Sunday about working on my front porch. I did some sprucing up and  some Spring cleaning. I am looking to spruce it up a bit more.
I have wanted to put an outdoor curtain on my front porch for quite awhile and just never got around to it. I have saved pictures of outdoor curtains being used on patios, pergolas and the like. I finally am going to take the plunge and do it. You all know how much I love black and white awnings, right? Well, I don’t have it in my budget right now to do that, however, I can buy 3 yards of black and white striped fabric to make a curtain for my porch. I have a great fabric store close to where I live called, Home Fabrics where they sale oodles of designer fabrics including outdoor fabrics at amazing prices. I wound up getting just a cotton stripe because it is softer than what they had in the outdoor fabrics. I thought it would hang more nicely. I got it for $5.99 a yd for 54” goods. Pretty cool!! Here is the fabric……….
images[2]
I have a few pictures of outdoor curtains to show you what has been inspiring me………
CLX0607HOM001-de[1]
In a perfect world I only wish!!
CT0411087o_4_x[1]
outdoor_curtains_veranda_country_living[1]
patio-screen-2[1]
27b3163ec482[1]
Outdoor_curtains[1]
Oh My Goodness! This is unbelievable.
outdoor_dining_porch_curtains_white_grey_moroccan_lantern_blue_natural_red_summer_perfectlycontent_photos_Michael_Skott_tradtional_home[1]
Curtains and Chinese lanterns.
CLX0607HOM008-de[1]
Amazing lanterns and furniture. Although the chairs do not look very comfy, do they?
9eb6a44283df[1]
You can see I have plenty of inspiration! Now for the funny part. Well, it is actually not very funny- maybe a bit odd. I don’t sew!! I know how to sew, but it has been years and I don't have a sewing machine. I am going to attempt to make these panels with that iron-on tape. I will let you know how it goes. If I am lucky and it works I will have pictures to show of my finished results. Wish me Luck!! Have any of you used the iron-on tape for any of your projects? Let me know how it worked for you in a comment.
“ Enjoy the Process” Of: Making a NO-Sew project, Yikes!!
Kathysue

25 comments:

Kat said...

Beautiful inspiration pictures Kathysue. The outdoor area with those hugs pots of sunflowers - WOW. I used no sew tape to hem the drapes in Cait's room. It worked out great and I was really happy with the results. And no sewing machine needle through the finger :) Hugs, Kat

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kathysue...Knowing you, I am sure they will be lovely no matter what! Can't wait to see them!...hugs...Debbie

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your curtains, Kathysue. I'd love to have at least one curtain drawn back on the back porch and wonder how I would do it.

I've worked on the back porch this week and have it just about finished for the season, but the curtain idea keeps flicking in and out of my vision.

Cashon&Co said...

$5.99 a yard?????
you rock!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Kathysue, I am right there with you! Will be using all these photos for my own back yard inspiration! Can't wait to see yours!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Kathysue, I know it will look just fabulous. I havn't used the no-sew, but I see others use it all the time for tons of things, so I'm sure it will work out fine. You always have the best ideas. Hugs, Marty

Jules said...

Have used it on hems, worked out quite well but it wasn't mad about the washing machine and hot water! If you are really desperate staples work!!!!!!!

Design Esquire said...

Good luck! I can't wait to see the after photos!

Tammy@InStitches said...

LOVE, they are all my dream porches ! Is the fabric you bought outdoor fabric ? Be sure to scotchguard it if it's not !

La Dolfina said...

Oh Kathysue, I adore all these images you found! They are incredibly inspiring!!
You scored on that fabric... it's so hard to find classic black & white stripe, especially at that price!!
If you need a sewing machine you are welcome to come over and use mine :) I'll even help you!!
I love a great project and last summer I had the same idea about making curtains for the outdoors.
Can I be your apprentice... please!!
XOX

vignette design said...

Hi Kathysue,
First of all: I love your images. I've been saving images similar of outdoor tents. I have an outdoor tent that I left up for two winters and it's seen better days. So I've been hunting for a new one. About sewing those curtains. I have taken the shortcut route before with iron on tape and it won't hold up to the elements if you are using it for outside. Whatever you end up doing though, it will be fantastic!

Tricia said...

I haven't used the iron on stuff yet but I have some I've been waiting to test out. I love your idea and can't wait to see it all completed. Enjoy the process! :)
T

Erica Cook said...

Love all of these!! I'm crazy for outdoor designs. Great post! xo e

ashlina {the decorista} said...

oh good lawrd. those black and white super crisp fresh looks for the outdoor just give me the chills. i love them i would be so thrilled to have a backyard like that one day.
hope you are well and having a beautiful day so far! xo

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

This is sure to look amazing. I've been toying with doing outdoor curtains on our back deck this year....but there is a possibility we'll be moving so I've put myself on a freeze until we have word from my husband's firm. I'll live vicariously through you at the moment. Good luck with the project this weekend.

Hamptontoes said...

Gorgeous photos! I can't wait to see your finished project. On another note, you did a post on fabulous outdoor umbrellas? Didn't you? I can't seem to find it...was it you and where is the post? I need to look at some sources. Thanks!

aneyefordetail said...

Kathysue: I'm with you: used to sew ( a lot...) but it's been years. I finally gave away my sewing machine too. Good luck with the tape:I agree with someone else that it may not hold up when outside....?
If you're looking for a black & white oversize print to go with those stripes...I was at Calico Corners yesterday and they had some really great B&W prints: sort of/almost handprinted looking, and large scale! Would be nice mix'n match!

Judy said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with. If I get around to it this spring, I'm planning on using drop cloths as curtains on the front porch and I'd love to add them to my gazebo in the back....maybe whatever you do will inspire me to get started!

Judy

Sue said...

Oh my...now I really don't like my front porch. It is too small and no way could I have a curtain, but I can't wait to see yours!

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

Kathysue, you can do it! Just plan out the steps so that you don't have to undo. I can walk you through it if you want to email me. It's going to look so good!

Allie and Pattie said...

My hubby thought Iwas nuts when I did it (WHY would you hang curtains OUTSIDE??), but we all love them!
xoxo Pattie

cotedetexas said...

I wish I had room for one of these - i love them!!!
great post.
thanks for your sweet comment today.
Joni

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Love all those inspiration pics! I can't wait to see yours!!!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

How fun! We set up a "family room" on our deck in the backyard. Can't wait to see your no sew curtains!

bestpmchennai said...

Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via
email?designer curtain fabric