home about me our home

Monday, June 19, 2017

What Do I Want To Look Like?

   




I discovered a new-to-me  fashion blog the other day, Brenda Kinsel. I loved the philosophy of this lady and enjoyed perusing her blog and reading what she had to say. 

In one of her post she posed a question that she felt many women have, or at least need to ask themselves,

"What do I want to look like?"

It sounds like a pretty simple question when you look at it for face value, but if you start thinking about it, it becomes a bit deeper.

 Of course our first answer will be about our weight, our age, our shape, our height, but I am talking about what do you want to look at right now, where you are age or weight does not count. We must always strive to look the best we can.

I have always said there is nothing worse than feeling over weight and frumpy.

We have all had this question at different times in our lives. I was talking to someone in her early 40's recently and she was starting to address this question.

20' and 30's

Over the decades I remember thinking about this question especially in my 30's when we all still have our cute figures and great skin, but we realize we are no longer teenagers of even in our 20s any more and feel the push and pull of how to dress like a grown-up without looking like our Mom's or worse yet Nana's even though I am a very proud Grammy.


 The 40's and 50's

By time I was in my 40s I felt confident of who I was and how I wanted to look, but then the 50's came and lovely menopause, which without me realizing it changed my mood, my body, and perception of who I was, and how I wanted to look.


I would not call any of these identity crisis, but it might be considered a wardrobe crisis. Here I am in my late 60's, which just blows my mind. and I am in the decision mode again.

"What do I want to look like!?"

It is helpful when you find a stylish lady that writes a fashion blog that has the same taste in clothing as you do, but personally I really don't find many that seem to have my same aesthetics.



Sometimes it is not that we don't know our style, but we just can't find it out in the market place anymore.

 Sure we can find just about anything if price is no object, but let's face it, for most of us, price is an object that we have to be concerned about.

I have deemed my style as a grown-up-classic- preppy style . I love classic clothing with pretty silhouettes. 

 Color is my friend and I wear it often. 

My favorite prints are gingham and stripes in the winter I love a good plaid. If I find a shoe with a tassel on it I am a happy girl and that was before tassels became on trend. Sometimes I feel as if I should have been born on the east coast as far as design and my dress. People that know me have actually told me that.

Finding "YOUR" Style

Finding one's own style is not an easy job especially when the media seems to dictate so much of what we should and should not wear.

 What I loved about Brenda Kinsel's blog was how she works with her clients as a stylist to find out what works for them, and even pushes them gently out of their comfort zone to try new and different things.


I don't necessarily dress like Brenda, she has her very own style, but I do agree with her approach to dressing and the way she thinks.

Know Your Silhouette!

As far as shapes, colors and patterns I am very set on those. Where I have issues is finding them in the market place when so much of what is out there is, well, shall I say,  NOT me!!

I am not Bohemian, nor do I want to bare my shoulders and let's face it that is what is in vogue this season.  



In trying to find what works for us we must be brutally honest with ourselves. I have some personal guidelines for myself that I have found to be helpful over the years.......

1. If I wore it the last time it was in style, I probably should not be wearing it this go around. We all know what goes around comes around again in fashion and decor for that matter. 

For instance right now the styles are so reminiscent of the 70-80s. I was in my 20's and 30s so I should not be wearing what I wore back then and to be honest those two decades were hard for me to find styles I liked.

2. Stay in tuned to your body shape and what silhouette looks best on you. I have an hour glass shape and the big billowy tops that are so on trend right now are not the right shape for me. 

I need tops that follow the lines of  my upper silhouette more closely. I have, shall we say, sturdy legs, so if I wear a billowy top I become shapeless and can visually gain 10 lbs, not good for someone who is already over weight.

3. Try new things when trying on clothing. I read once to try at least 6 pieces that you would never think would look good on you. You might be surprised. Trust me I have had some good private laughs in dressing rooms doing this and once in awhile there is a surprise, but at this point in my life I am pretty in tuned with what works for my body.

4. Just because it is in style NOW does not mean you have to wear it.

5. If you are wearing on-trend pieces make sure you are not wearing them head to toe, making you look like Trendzilla! You don't want to look like you are trying too hard.


6. When wearing a statement piece make sure it is the star, do not wear several statement pieces at a time. For instance if I am wearing a statement necklace I will keep my ensemble more reserved and classic.


7. Don't be afraid of color wear it boldly and proudly. I do wear color and mix it up all the time. Color makes me happy.

8. Wear a color close to my face that you know is a good color for you. We all have colors that we love and that we get compliments on. Those are YOUR colors wear them proudly and close to your face. White or cream will always brighten up your face as well.

9. Your best accessory is always going to be a smile, it beats out any accessory or makeup.

10. Be who you are, no one can do it better than YOU! Be the best YOU where you are right now!!!

Be sure and go over to Brenda's blog and read some of her post, she recently did two post on 10 Fashion tips for women over 60. I found them helpful for women of all ages.
 
 

10 comments:

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

i love your style! So very close if not the same to mine...I have always loved the classic preppy look! Off tho check out that site and love those checked tennies!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love class preppy too and sometimes that is really hard to find. Great post.

Nancy@ThatTechChick said...

Hi! I am a regular read to read your blog but this is my first time commenting. I like grown-up preppy clothes as well. I'm absolutely in love with the outfit and one of the pictures, specifically the yellow sweater and blue skirt with buttons. Can you tell me where they're from?

Thanks,
Nancy

Mary said...

Thanks for the new blog to catch up on. I'm new to trying to find clothes for myself. I used to try & hide in them. I've been feeling better about myself as of late & I'm becoming interested in presenting my best self.

nancy2 said...

I enjoy Brenda's blog too. It's nice to read about style for older women. Enjoy your blog!

Kathysue said...

Nancy@thattechChick!! The skirt is from Talbots. I have actually purchased that skirt and it fits like a glove.

Melissa said...

I also adore colour. I am sure that those women who say that they feel invisible are wearing beige, white or black! No one can feel dull, depressed or frumpy wearing fuchsia, turquoise or orange!
A wonderful company for all things colourful is an English company called Kettlewell. They have so many lovely classical basic items in a magnificent array of colours and themed in your seasonal palette. I am a winter and over the years I have collected their Merino wrap cardigan in purples, sapphire, green, crimson and grey. They have a lighter weight jersey version that I have in some lighter summery colours, but they are perfect over long pants, sheath dresses, capri and tees, etc.

Brenda Kinsel said...

I love reading about your style! It's so true that everyone has their own style; they just need to listen to it and say no to everything else!

michele said...

you've got such great style! find me in a linen shift dress with pockets. I don't know what to do without pockets--I'd lose my glasses, phone, diet pepsi...diet pepsi? yes. everything goes into the kangaroo's pockets. ha! xox

cindy hattersley design said...

I am so glad you found Brenda isn't her blog great? I feel like I need to go back and read every single post. Loved this post as well. We have to find our niche at our age! I am so sorry you lost your dad at such a young age. My father will soon be 95. He is beginning to have a lot of memory issues. I am not so sure living to be 95 is all that great but I am thankful he is still here.