home about me our home

Thursday, July 25, 2013

SUMMER TOUR OF HOMES



 MY HOME'S SUMMER PHOTO ALBUM
image


Welcome to my sweet 1978 Ranch house. My home is located in a suburb about 40 miles northeast of San Francisco.

We have enjoyed living here for the past 35 years.
We live in every square foot of our home starting with the front porch………

6

Many a morning has been spent sitting in the chair on the far right, the curtain panel helps shade me from the morning sun.
7

This will be your first introduction to my love of the color scheme of black and white, and striped patterns. There are more to come!

Let’s go inside!



IMG_2186


Speaking of black and white, I used it here on my floor by using black granite and Carrara marble. I waited 25 years for these floors and they were well worth the wait.

To the left of the entry is a step-down living room………
We have added architectural interest over the years to our home to give it our own personal touch.

 Molding is one of my BFF’s as far as design elements are concerned. 

2 living room

My home is shaped like an, “L”!
 
B
e
d
r
o
o
m
s
                Living Areas

IMG_2179
We have a decision to make! Shall we go to the left to the bedrooms, or to the right to the kitchen and familyroom area?

FOLLOW ME!

Let’s go to the left off of the entry, to the bedrooms!
Our first stop is the guest bathroom!

Black and white are alive and well in here. I have two antique pieces in this room. The fretwork over the tub is off of an old Victorian porch from
 San Francisco…….

IMG_2167 

bathroom pedestal 015 (800x600)

The small Chinese pedestal is a vintage find. I am not really sure how old it is, but I love the bright pop of green with the black and white in this room.


Guest bathroom 005
The vanity is an all oak piece with a Carrara marble top and China basin, dating from the late 1890’s


bathroom colage


Next we are going to go down my very long hallway
to the bedrooms.
 

c4686bbd-a74c-48ff-aff0-43304d3a721awallpaper

Yes, I have all the bedroom doors numbered!

time to play

playroom
At the end of this very long hallway is the master bedroom…….

Numbers on doors 003

We purchased a new king size bed this year so I still have some additions to make in this room. Be sure to come back for another visit in the near future to see what I do.
 
master bedroom collage

Connected to the master bedroom is our bathroom/shower area……..


master bath colage 2

Now let’s head back down the hallway and go see the living areas of our home……..
As you enter the kitchen eating area you will see the kitchen to the left……..
IMG_2175
692d1e01-229b-46ce-8de2-21b5caa9457dwallpaper

The dining area is straight across from the kitchen……..
summer dining 2 (800x600)_thumb[3]

This is such an easy room to change out for the different seasons, and trust me, it has had many different looks and colors added to the mix over the years.
dining room
IMG_2136

The kitchen area has a breakfast bar that looks into our family room.

The family room is where we do most of our day to day living………
969705_10152227402650288_52026776_n
apothecary lamp 004
family room, blue jay and flowers 009 (800x600)
family room collage
Blue end table 017 (800x600)
Now we are going to step outside to my backyard.

WARNING!! COLOR CHANGE

You are going to notice the color of the back of my home is different than the front of my house.
We have very hot summers so I wanted a cooler color pallet so the back is a soft sage green with accents of cobalt, and black and white stripes.
It makes for a nice transition from the family room’s color scheme……


487593_10152226403700288_2038082385_n
946894_10152226404340288_2114732252_n
summer hydrangeas
BACKYARD COLLGE

This concludes the Summer tour of my home, but I am always making changes so I hope you will come back for another visit soon!

As I always say.........




Don't forget to check out the other homes on the Summer Showcase of Homes. Today's schedule is on my sidebar.

 If you missed any of the other days on the tour just click on the names below.....


Monday 7/22 Atta Girl Says ~ The Happier Homemaker ~ Rain on a Tin Roof ~ Better With Age ~ Top This Top That

Tuesday 7/23 Mom 4 Real ~ Cedar Hill Ranch ~ Practically Functional ~ While Wearing Heels ~ French Country Cottage

Wednesday 7/24 The Lily Pad Cottage ~ Marty’s Musings ~ Confessions of a Plate Addict ~ Town and Country LivingAdventures in Decorating

Thursday 7/25 Good Life of Design ~ A Stroll Thru Life ~ Worthing Court ~ Back Porch Musings ~ The Rustic Pig
 
 

54 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your home is absolutely gorgeous, Kathysue! Thanks so much for the tour.

Laura @ duke manor farm said...

Kathysue- what a fabulous home. I just love how you used two colors on your exterior.I would never think to have done that but makes sense. That guest bath is devine with it's sink and the details. I noticed no shower curtain...do you put one up with that gorgeous fretwork? Thanks for having me over.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Kathysue, what a lovely home you have. Obviously, you can tell that the owners take great pride in the way they live. What a fun idea to paint the back a different color than the front. I have always wanted outdoor drapes like yours. Thanks for the tour.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love your home Kathysue, and your tour is wonderful. Hugs, Marty

SHERRY HART said...

Love your home Kathysue:). Also Love how you put the pictures together.....you are getting pretty good on the computer!!

The enchanted home said...

Beautiful tour! I love how you are always changing and tweaking....keeps us on our toes:)

The cozy sleeping area is one of my favorites...love it, everything looks beautiful, thanks for having us over!

Stacey said...

Your home is one of my very favorites. I love your clean, fresh, beautiful style.

Christy @ Our Southern Home said...

I just love your ranch! The use of black and white and being able to add color changes is fabulous! Thanks for inviting us into your beautiful home! If this is a duplicate comment just delete. :) Computer isn't wanting to cooperate this morning! ~Christy

Unknown said...

Thanks Kathysue. Wow!!! You had my attention from the black and white on the front porch. Then grabbed me in with all the pops of colour. This is my first visit to your home and blog and I can tell you, it will not be the last. Thanks for having me ...
have a wonderful day.
Cheers, Gee

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tour! Love your kitchen cabinet color and the bathroom is so pretty.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh, Kathysue! I loved your tour...loved the photo album effect! And your home is just you all over! It was so nice to have peek at your wonderful black and white bath and your oh-so-famous spa bath again! But I have to say that my favorite is your family room...perfect in every way! It was so fun to have been part of the process! One day I will see it in person! :-) Thanks for the tour!...hugs...Debbie

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Everything looks so clean and crisp. Party ready!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Everything looks so clean and crisp. Party ready!

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Well I am a bit disappointed. Why? Cause I'd rather BE at your home than LOOKING at it. :( What beautiful memories we have of being at your home, spending hours chatting with beloved friends over coffee and your incredible meals. What these gorgeous pictures do not convey as well is the love in your home. This makes me miss you guys so much. Great tour. I loved how you made it look like a photo album, as Deb said.
Great job. Now relax!!!! :) xxxxooooo

Home on Hidden Oaks said...

I LOVE your kitchen! So fun, colorful and lively! I could spend all day in that room. Your summer hydrangeas are beautiful as well. I'm so envious! Thank you for sharing your lovely home with us :)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

You are a decorator extraordinaire!!!! What a lovely well appointed home you have Kathysue!
I love your bold sense of style and the way no detail is left undone!!! You kitchen is AMAZING! I adore the color and that chandy and the glass front doors and the wall paper.... EVERYTHING!!! You post layout is so clever too!!!
Thanks for letting us in! xo

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Boy seeing it all together is remarkable! I am most familiar with the family room and now I can appreciate how you have married all the textures and colors! Especially the black! I didn't realize you used it so strongly! Love the floor!!! Worth every saved penny!
Wonderful TOUR!

vignette design said...

Good morning Kathysue!
I so enjoyed your tour while sipping my morning coffee. I almost felt like I was there while you walked me around showing all the special details of your lovely home. Loved how you made it into a photo album. Very clever. ~Delores

debbies said...

What a great tour!!! I think my favorite is Room 4 because of the fabulous colors and cozy feeling.

Desires of the Heart said...

What a gorgeous home you have Kathysue, I could move right in and feel at home!! Love all the green and black and white with the blues, some of my favorite combinations. Love the kitchen and the family room. The bathroom vanity is just beautiful!! Thank you for displaying it all so wonderfully well. I will be back. Your love for your home is very obvious........no detail left undone. Blessings, Linda

Patty Rumaker said...

What a lovely home! Thank you for the tour. I really like your bathroom with the scroll work above the tub and the toile wallpaper. I just found your blog Summer Showcase of Homes and I am your newest follower on bloglovin. I would love for you to stop by my blog sometime. Thanks, Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Kathysue-
You home is absolutely gorgeous! I could move right in, and the black and white has me swooning!! You really have created a lovely home. It is not often that a beautifully designed home looks so livable.
Teresa
xoxo

Unknown said...

Kathysue, what a lovely home. I especially like the Victorian sink in the bathroom, and your warm and cozy family room. your yard is gorgeous and reminds me of an intimate spa. thanks for letting us visit.

Scribbler said...

I really enjoyed my tour of your home -- It is so pretty and comfortable looking. I envy your pool!

Dewena said...

Your house is beautiful and I'm crazy about your green kitchen!

Art and Sand said...

Your house is lovely.

I laughed when your said your master bath was small and spa-like. I live in a tiny beach cottage and our only bathroom is tiny and not spa-like. You don't know what small is!

Enjoy the summer day in your wonderful oasis.

Unknown said...

Kathysue, I love, love, LOVE your home!! I love the colors and how each room is so unique. The antique vanity is just amazing!! What a neat home you live in!!

Recreate and Decorate said...

oh I am loving you masterbath! what a great home tour.

Recreate and Decorate said...

oh I am loving you masterbath! what a great home tour.

Suzy said...

Oh my goodness - your home is so lovely! I can see why you are so thrilled with your granite/marble flooring. It is simply scrumptious! I really like the nod you gave to the area of the country where you live by the use of the fretwork above the tub. Very unique! I'm totally crushing on your backyard and pool too. You might just wake up one day to find me floating around out there. lol Great tour!

Victoria said...

Your home is so beautiful, Kathysue and looks so warm and comfortable. It is apparent that you love every corner of your home. Your marble floor is gorgeous and the family room redesign turned out wonderfully. Congratulations.
XO, Victoria

Unknown said...

Beautiful tour! My favorite is the Victorian piece over the tub.. I may have to borrow that idea! Love it! Thank you for sharing :)

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

What a bright, fresh, inviting and beautiful home you have. I kind of want your kitchen...ok, more like I actually want your kitchen. I love the toile wall paper and the 1 on the door and all your other thoughtful touches.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Thank you for the tour, Kathysue. Everything is beautiful. I loved taking a tour of the entire house. laurie

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Love the chairs on your front porch and can see why you spend a lot of mornings there. LOVE the vanity in your bathroom ... gorgeous!! And love the armoire in your bedroom too. I think your family room is my fave. Thanks for the tour! Wish I lived in California!! I'm tired of the cold and snow. Brrrrr.

Jeanie Cash said...

Love, love, love your beautiful home! It reflects your personality, your incredible talent and your exquisite taste! Thanks for making every day JOYFUL!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Your home looks beautiful...I love the new family room up date...

Merlin said...

I just heaved a "sigh*...your home is SO YOU...absolutely charming! I am so "gleaning" that fretwork in your bathroom shower!! franki

John said...

Awesome, just realized I'm probably one of few males making comments on this but design is design! You really need to be within walking distance of the beach! Brennan Island just doesn't cut it. Your home is very much a showpiece and could be featured in any magazine or HGTV show --- very nicely done!

The Buzz Blog said...

You have such a cozy, warm home, Kathysue, and we love the color palette. Had we know you were so close to SF, we would have stopped by and said hi the last time we were in town. Will do so next time! Have a great weekend and thanks for the lovely tour.
xxoo
C + C

thepaintedapron.com said...

It's all fabulous but I especially liked the fretwork over the tub in the guest bath, that looks simply stunning!
Jenna

Unknown said...

Great job KathySue! I love how your mantel and those sconces turned out! Love that room! beautiful home and yard.
xo Nancy

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

What a charming home~ I love your dining area with those stripes on the walls- gorgeous!! I am in Northern Cal and not far from the bay area too ;)

Sarah said...

Kathysue, I visited earlier, but couldn't leave a comment at that time. I loved getting to see more of your pretty home and backyard space. Everything looks so crisp. It obviously has your touch! Thanks for the tour!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Beautiful house Kathysue! I love your Green kitchen it's so pretty and inviting! You did a wonderful job outside and inside...there's so much to see! Thanks for the great tour! Big hugs,
FABBY

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

So happy to see your home in its entirety...I have loved seeing pics of your rooms as you post changes/projects...your home is as beautiful on the outside as well as inside...i have always adored that gorgeous green kitchen...Great tour Kathysue!

michele said...

i'm late to the party, but holy cow, kathysue! look at all the pretty moments in your house indoors and out. very cali cottage chic. i have so many areas of our home i need to address and just don't have the energy for it just yet. bravo to you!

michele

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

So many cool touches. I think I love the antique vanity the best. So fun to be on the tour with you.

Marty Walden said...

This is just lovely! And you've lived in your home longer than ours. My husband and I were talking about that and the fact that we never moved "up" or felt we had to have a bigger house.

I love all your touches and the home (as well as your tour) was classy. Great job.

Melinda said...

Looks so lovely and inviting Kathysue, especially love your bedroom and the new lounge room and your outdoor spaces are wonderful.

Melinda said...

Looks so lovely and inviting Kathysue, especially love your bedroom and the new lounge room and your outdoor spaces are wonderful.

Unknown said...

cute home. you had me at the stripe outdoor porch curtain:)

Anonymous said...

Just found you by reading the Home Tours & LOVE what you've done with your house. Those C. marble floors w/ black diamond accents are to die for. Other fave parts for me were the blk/white fretwork and toile wallpaper in the bathroom, & is that an aqua glass tile wall in the other bath? How lovely is that! Great job.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Had to come back again. Thanks for joining, Kathysue.