home about me our home

Monday, April 5, 2010

How Many Looks Can a Kitchen Have?

I have a kitchen that is very easy to change its look for the seasons. It is a 1970’s kitchen that we did a make-over on.

 We had the lovely(NOT)1970’s overhang cabinets over the kitchen bar area that we took down. I only did this after emptying them out and living with them empty for almost 6 months.

 I love a well designed room but I am also a very practical girl. We were only going to do a make-over until the time was right for a complete re-do. Naturally, that will mean new paint!!

 I wanted my kitchen to have a vintage look. I love the look of the 1930-40's.  I chose a color that is a depression-era green by Pratt and Lambert called Northern Green. Before we painted, we added moldings, a small crown to the top and a skirt molding to the bottom edge of the upper and lower cabinets. I also added up-side down shelf brackets to look like feet, much cheaper than the pre-made feet for cupboards.

IMG_0201 (800x600)

We had the wonderful 1970’s recessed panel fluorescent lighting box that we removed the light and added several different moldings for an architectural effect in the light box. I put up a medallion and a vintage 1940’s mini crystal chandelier.

IMG_0202 (800x600)  The next pieces of jewelry were the glass knobs with bronze backings from Restoration Hardware and bronze hinges. We also added four glass doors made for two of my cupboards that I keep the every day dishes and glasses in.

 On the very back wall of the glass front cupboards I added mirror to give it a window effect. It also helps make the room look a little larger. We added  strip lighting for a soft glow of light. I don’t like the usual lighting made for cupboards as it is a little harsh for my taste.
Now that the kitchen is all done I do not want to do a complete re-do. I love my sweet little kitchen. The only thing that needs to be done is new white tile.

 Yes, You heard right! I love white tile and I think for the look and feel of the kitchen, tile is what will work. Now that I have introduced you to my kitchen, I will show you a few of the ways I change out it’s look………
IMG_0197 (800x605)
I use pink/red transfer ware for Christmas.

fall kitchen
In the Fall/Winter months I add black and white transfer ware to add a warmer cozier look.(Sorry for the blurry picts.)

dressed in all white and clear glass 004
In the Spring I like to make everything fresh and crisp so an all white cupboard works well for that.

summer kitchen 1
We have very hot summers here so I add coolness with blue dishes and glasses. I also incorporate lemons as a reminder of a cool glass of fresh lemonade.


This picture shows the general lay-out of my kitchen, what you can't see in the picture is a large kitchen counter that is a breakfast bar. It is to the right of the sink. My kitchen sink is on an angle and I have a perfect view to  the backyard swimming pool.


my kitchen 003 (800x670) (2)
In this picture you will notice all white with a touch of black. You all know how much I love black and white.

 This is how my kitchen looks today and it is my favorite look to date. The only thing that I change is the pitcher and the alphabet platter. I will add flowers or a bowl of lemons and limes for a pop of color.

 Since it is Easter, I will add my White bunny. This is a picture from last year. This year Mr. Bunny-Boy has wheat grass in his little white pot.

dressed in all white and clear glass 005
Do you make changes in any of your rooms seasonally? I would love to hear about the changes you make!

I hope you have enjoyed my little tour of the many looks of my kitchen.

“Enjoy the Process” Of:
 Finding ways to change a room in your home for the changing of the Season’s.

Kathysue

26 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your kitchen chandelier! It really adds so much oomph! I keep it simple all year round, with a display quite similar to your white one!

Cashon&Co said...

oh, it's so pretty and peaceful! I love the glass knobs and pulls. that adds so much charm ...

Noel Solomon said...

Hi Kathysue!

I hope you had a beautiful Easter!

I love to keep an all white and neutral base then accent it with seasonal colors. :-))

Love reading your thoughts~

Have a beautiful week!
Noel

Noel Solomon said...

You are the BEST :) I'll just leave it at that. Thank you for being so dear.

xo Noel

charmaine said...

Hi Kathysue,

I love the spring look, the glass knobs and pulls and the "window effect" of the mirrors. I am jealous of your collections. I have yet to complete my first set!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, I love your kitchen with the white tiles. Love the green cabinet color, too. It is great that you can change out the colors from season to season. I just keep my glasses behind my glass doors. You know I have changed out a couple of rooms for the seasons. Have a great day!

Tricia said...

Your kicthen is fabulous Kathysue! I'm preparing a post about little changes in my kitchen for tomorrow. You know I love the 'all white' look you have going on now and the touches of Easter are precious! I'm looking forward to removing the Easter stuff tonite and keeping it simple with fresh flowers every week from here on out until I decorate for Halloween (wow, that so far away).

Anonymous said...

Kathysue - what is the name of the color of the green stripes painted in your kitchen?? I have been looking for the "perfect" green and yours looks fantastic... not too bright, but not too muted--i love it and would appreciate knowing what color it is so I can duplicate in my kitchen!

Katie

artis1111 said...

I love the one with the white dishes. It looks so good with the green . It is great you can change out. I might get a glass insert later, just glad to have a new one kitchen for now, after the burst pipe. Kathy

Kathysue said...

Katie, My kitchen has wallpaper,it is not paint,sorry. The wallpaper is no longer available, we did this over 7 yrs ago. I wish I could send you a swatch of the paper and you could have paint mixed to match it.

Jeanette said...

Oh Kathysue, I remember your pretty kitchen from way back when at RMS. I loved it then and I love it now - all of it. From the happy shade of green to your elegant chandelier to your sparkly knobs and mirrors right down to the shiny slick tile. I could never pick my favorite "season" in your kitchen. They are all so well done. Your glass front cabinets are the perfect showcase for your collections.

Kathysue said...

Thank you Jeanette, you are a sweetie. Yes RMS is the first place my kitchen was seen by the public. That feels so long ago,now, doesn't it?

Judy said...

Kathysue,
I have loved your kitchen since I first saw it on RMS a couple of years ago. Your cabinets and mine are identical (except for color). You have done an outstanding job on your kitchen re=do and I can certainly understand you not wanting and/or needing to undertake a major remodel. It is just gorgeous!

Judy

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kathysue! You know I love your kitchen! The chandelier adds the perfect touch! And I love the way that you change it with the seasons! I also love it that I am not the only person who isn't crazy about granite and stainless steel! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Good for you for not ripping it out....it's so fresh and inviting. Great decisions on all your choices!

Yes, I am a seasonal switcher of certain items!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Loving your kitchen. The color, the vintage details, all very fresh and lovely. We must be on the same design wave with the antique fixture posts. :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Kathysue, hope you had a wonderful Easter! I just love your kitchen. You did such a good job on it, it certainly looks so fresh even today, so that shows a good plan from the start.

Melissa Miller said...

Oh how pretty all of your seasonal looks are Kathysue! Love them all. You have inspired me to try a seasonal change now somewhere in our home. I'll have to look around and then go shopping. My favorite thing to do. Smiles.

Thank you for sharing all of your great design ideas with us. We are all truly blessed to read them. :)

Tracy Watier said...

Love that green! Vintage but fresh too. And I love how you change out your cupboard. I have an open cupboard (without doors) that I could do that to if I really wanted to go to the trouble ;) Maybe you'll inspire me to experiment.

Averill said...

I really love how you handled the space left behind by the old lightbox -- it looks positively awesome (and very intentional!). Also digging the hardware; it's so classic.

I'm not one to change up my decor seasonally, but then again I'm still very much in the process of trying to get the general decor of my house pulled together. Maybe when I complete it I'll be able to add/subtract various seasonal touches?!

ashlina {the decorista} said...

have i told you lately that i just adore you? cause i do.
AND your kitchen.
i really love all the changes that you make...spices things up.
my favorite is the blue, probably bc i am obsessed with china blue patterns right now.
you have some decorating talent sugar! share it more with us!!!!
pretty please. ;)

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

I love the way you change out the glass cupboards. That's a great place to make a statement, and you do! I'm a little embarrassed that I haven't taken the time to change things out seasonally....I'm still trying to get it clean! I dress the studio for the holidays....does that count?

A Room For Everyone said...

Thanks so much for your fantastic advice. I do love the skirt moulding you've used. I had your blog minimised at the bottom of my screen for the last couple of days but hadn't got back to it until now.. Thanks again..Rachaelxx

Glorious said...

I love it! You must feel like the store window display artist! too pretty for words!

Adrienne said...

I just found your blog and have really enjoyed seeing your home. I was amazed to see your kitchen redo and discover that you and I have the same pattern on our cabinet doors. We haven't yet completed our redo and I was in a quandary about trim. Now I know that what I was thinking about the use of crown molding and trim is right on the mark! Thanks for the inspiration. I'll be back again and again to visit.
~Adrienne~

vignette design said...

Great to revisit your kitchen Kathysue. I hope to see it someday in person! It is so lovely and pretty! Great inspiration for my soon to be green kitchen!