home about me our home

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Shoes and Purses OH MY!!


I know I am not alone in my love of shoes and purses. I would venture to say there are those with more and those with less shoes and purses than I have. 

Point being I have too many, and it is becoming a storage issue. I have mine neatly in labeled boxes, but labels or not, there are just too many. Remember I am an organized hoarder!!

I have found some clever ways to store shoes and purses that might be help to me and you if you are like me, a lover of shoes and purses.

I think  before I even start thinking about storing my shoes, I need to get really serious about what is the criteria for keeping them will be.....

1. If they have a high heel they must go, I no longer can wear high heels. Yes, sad but true. Only lower heels now!!

2. Do they still fit. (This is one are that I do not fluctuate when my weight goes up and down. I have very thin feet, in fact my feet and hands are the only really thin part on my body at this stage in the game. Much to my chagrin!!)

3. Will I ever wear them again. (This is the one area that I slip up on, I don’t think I am realistic here. I can talk myself into a resounding YES very easily!)

4. Are they still in style and in good shape? (This is the easiest criteria to follow for me.)

With this criteria I am ready to start my intentional purging process!!!!

Let me show you some of the ideas I came up with for storing shoes…….



I know you all remember this under the bedskirt idea. This particular image was the most popular image copied from my blog!!

This next idea is another fun and functional idea……..


I was thinking if you took an Ikea storage ottoman, and purchased an inexpensive shoe bag that could be cut into strips you could make your own ottoman more cheaply. Since this ottoman by Lilly Pullitzer is $999.00. I am sure we can do it for less with the following……..


This ottoman is $129.00 now all we need is some fun material to line the bottom and add this………


By cutting this Target shoe bag ($8.99)into strips we can attach it around the edge and Voila!! Our very own stylized shoe storage ottoman.

If you like your shoes hidden, and undercover this is a great storage item from Ikea that only takes up 6”depth so it would fit on any open wall area in your closet.


This nice little cabinet is $139 and holds 12 pairs of shoes.
They also have another piece that would be great in an entry hall that was narrow, or a mud room……


This item will hold 8 pairs of shoes and will take up very little floor space.


This next idea is something I would like to incorporate in my very own closet……..


I saw this when visiting Laura Casey’s blog. I had actually thought of this before, but I had forgotten about it. 

Thank you Laura for the reminder. I have a whole wall I can add some shelves for my purses or whatever I decide I need extras storage for.

Well, I think I need to get off the computer and get going on my purse and shoe purging day!!! Wish me luck and send me good thoughts, I need all the help I can get.

If you have any other great ideas on purging shoes and purses or storage ideas, please leave a comment. We all love help from experienced organizers and purging peers!!


“Enjoy the Process!” Of:

♪♪♫Purging Merrily Along ♪♫♪

Kathysue

16 comments:

Unknown said...

great post! Thanks!

Sue said...

I love shoes. Like you, high heels are out so now I collect comfortable shoes that don't look like an old granny. I also love boots and dressy flats. Mine are in boxes on shelves but they are spilling over to the floor now...and I have purged mine!

NanaDiana said...

Kathysue- I don't know if it was your words that inspired me or if I was already on my way...BUT...I did the same thing this past week. I have a whole slew of shoes for my daughter to go through.I can't wear high heels anymore either (after wearing them everyday for 35+ years) and I am getting rid of some that LOOK bad (but still feel oh-so-good on) and I am TRYING to get rid of the ones I will probably NEVER wear again! sigh..it's a process, isn't it? Now...on to purses...uh-oh-that one is going to be even harder- xo Diana

Libby said...

So many people seem to like those shoe racks with the wire forms for each shoe to slide on to. Can you even use shoe trees with those? I don't think so. Then there is the box issue. Fancy, cute boxes with pretty labels and/or pictures of the shoes to identify them.
I am all for boxes, but only for out of season or dress shoes...not for those I want to wear often. Too difficult to get at, I say.
My favorite storage now is the hanging shelf/bag. You know, it attaches with velcro to the rod, then a pair of shoes fits into the fabric "shelf". Love it love it. Accessible, easy to see, fits what? 6-8 pairs in a line. Of course, most of my shoes are flip flops or ballet flats, so it's perfect for that!
I'm loving this "series" Kathysue!
Have to add here: I am not a shoe collector: my feet are very tempermental (!) so I choose very carefully!

Wendi @ Classic Chic Home said...

No entire wall of shelves for you, young lady! That's way too much storage capacity for an aspiring purger!
Love the ottoman idea - you can purchase pretty, vinyl covered folding ottomans with removable lids for under $20... so it's a no-brainer! It would work great for storing gloves and scarves as well.
Have a lovely day, Kathysue!
~ Wendi ~ xo

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I think I will purge this weekend! I love the last closet..I have tried to make my closet a friendly, cute place...it just never stays that way!

helen tilston said...

Hi Kathysue

I love the shoe storage design of yours, beneath the bed ruffle, who would know.

Great post

Helen

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

OMG, THANK YOU!!! I haven't seen any of these ideas and NEED to do the same thing! Let us know what you do about your purses and how you store them, that is a BIG problem for me!!! I need to go repin some of these from your Pinterest page!!!!!! XO, Pinky

Unknown said...

I love it when you cull through what you have and let go of those things that no longer work. You enjoy what's left so much more!

I am a bit of a shoe and bag girl. But, have found that I rotate the same small group, most of the time. I consigned some beautiful bags and felt free to use the ones I have even more!

Enjoy the sensation of a good closet purge!
xoxo Elizabeth

The enchanted home said...

And the good ideas keep rolling..how clever is that ottoman and I actually like the square one better I think it will allow for easier installation of the shoe rack and hold more shoes! So clever....I also have to do some serious purging of bags and shoes...some of which I have already done but its definitely a "work in progress".

Jennifer @ Belclaire House said...

This is a great post to guide me in my own clean out! My husband is finally building the shoe shelves he's been promising for the last few years. I can't wait to have a place for them!

P.S. For some reason, your blog disappeared from my google reader which is so stressful so thank you so much for your comment or else I might not have seen this!

IHeart Organizing said...

So many great shoe storage ideas, all in one happy post. LOVE!

Great purging tips!

xoxo,
Jen

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I keep mine in shoe bags in my closet...I toss them if I haven't worn them in a year unless they are special occassion shoes.

Hamptontoes said...

I love footwear. It doesn't matter, high heals or flip flops...I like it all! When it comes to handbags I have a few that I use and that's it...I don't need lots of options, just a few good ones. Can't wait to see your finished project. You are certainly off and running this January...lots of organizing going on in your household!

Karena said...

Kathysue, great ideas! I cannot fit anything else under my four poster bed! Ha!

I am thinking seriously about your ottoman idea though; would you staple the cut vinyl shoe bags around the inside?

Xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Carolyn said...

This post is a huge problem solver for me! I am going to try the bed skirt option ASAP! My huge issue is that my closet has hot water baseboard radiators in it, so I get very nervous about storing nice leather shoes on the floor of my closet and I am always looking for non-closet shoe storage options.