home about me our home

Sunday, January 1, 2012

My Color Pick For 2012


When it comes to liking a certain color it will always be subjective in my humble opinion. However, there is a color board that chooses a new,  “Color of the Year!” every single year. Remember last years……..


HONEYSUCKLE

I don’t know about you, but I did not see very many people jump on that bandwagon, or trend-train as I like to call it.

This year I am sure you all know by now that Pantones, color of the year is……….

TANGERINE

Tangerine Tango

According to the official announcement, the deep red-orange color is intended to give us all a big energy boost; a refresh and a recharge. Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Institute tells us more about the choice for 2012:


Sophisticated but at the same time dramatic and seductive, Tangerine Tango is an orange with a lot of depth to it. Reminiscent of the radiant shadings of a sunset, Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow, to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy.



If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, if you are a friend or relative of mine you know you will NEVER see any of the orange related colors in my home.

I discovered in the early 70s after investing my hard earned money on some new expensive, for that time, linoleum that I can not live with orange. For some reason it makes me feel nervous inside and uneasy!!
Colors are very important in our lives and they truly can make or break our moods.

Since I don’t usually jump on the trend-train and I pretty much stick to what I love I decided last year that I would start making my own announcement of my own personal color of the year for ME!

The definition of Kathysue’s color of the year is:

 A color I would like to add more of, or introduce into my home.


My Last Year Color for 2011, “Cobalt Blue!”

I actually did add more of this color to my home. I put more in my backyard patio area……

Backyard 013 (800x600)





Backyard 011 (600x800)

So with all that being said, I thought I would choose my very own, “Color of the Year!” for 2012!……

(Drumroll Please)

Kathysue’s 2012 Color of the Year!……..


Kelly Green/ Emerald Green!!!

 

Definition of KELLY GREEN


: a strong yellowish green

Origin of KELLY GREEN

from the common Irish name Kelly; from the association of Ireland with the color green
First Known Use: circa 1927

EMERALD GREEN
1. A brilliant green to grass-green transparent variety of beryl, used as a gemstone.
2. A strong yellowish green.
adj.
Of a strong yellowish green.


You will notice I used the words Kelly and Emerald to describe the bright green I would like to add in my home.

They both have the same definition as far as the color family they are in: Strong, Bright Yellowish green.

I actually thought that emerald green had a bit more blue in it. I think it falls somewhere in the middle. Not totally yellow, and not a totally blue based green.

Since I have decided to introduce it into my  home I have to figure out a way to do that.

I actually have started the process by purchasing a wonderful pedestal from my friend Terri of La Dolfina blog.


She is a  fabulous treasure hunter, and she had this Kelly/Emerald green pedestal in her curio cabinet the very first time I saw her home in person.


I absolutely fell in love with it. When she put it on her blog and said she was offering it for sale, I jumped at the opportunity to purchase it.

I rarely, if ever purchase something that I don’t know exactly where it is going in my home, but I did this time, I went with my heart.

I have a pretty good idea it will work in my living room with a few changes, but nothing concrete yet.

Now I am on the look for ways to use Kelly/Emerald green in my decor by pinning, and collecting images that use this lovely color.

So far I am finding that I love it in small doses, and I love it the most with a  lot of white, and touches of black.


















I discovered when looking at images that I only like it as a dramatic accent piece, not as a wall color, or as a solid color of a sofa.


I am going to have fun this year looking for ways to incorporate, My, “Color Of The Year,

Kelly/Emerald Green," into my home.


If you happen to see a good use of this color  that I might enjoy please let me know!!


Happy 2012 to all of YOU!!

Kathysue is already:

“Enjoying the Process in 2012!"

BTW: I will be doing a post on the colors I would like to incorporate into my wardrobe this year! Come back to see if you like the same colors as I do?!!

31 comments:

Privet and Holly said...

LOVE that you
are true to yourself.
While I admire
seasonal punches
of orange, I'm unsure
if I could live with
it, either. I'm still
working at bringing
back more blue, which
as I've mentioned
before, got lost somewhere
in the 2000's! May
your New Year be not
only happy, but filled
with all your favorite
color choices, Kathysue!

xx Suzanne

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Kathysue, this is interesting. My color of the year for my wardrobe is cobolt blue!!! And as far as my home, I want to add more green! Can't wait to see your next post!

Btw, Happy New Year!!!

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Happy New Year! Love the Kelly Green!! No orange (at least not much) for me here either!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

No orange here either, love the kelly green though, I'll be anxious to see how you incorporate in your home!

The enchanted home said...

Love emerald green in clothing and pops of it in the home....its so pretty and this post makes one heck of a beautiful argument for the color!!
The orange is fun too but only in VERY small doses in my opinion..hope you are enjoying a relaxing New Years day, Kathysue. All the best in 2012!

pam {simple details} said...

The pedestal is gorgeous! The pieces I buy because I love them always seem to easily work their way into my decor regardless if I had a place for it! I love that you chose 'your' color!

Leslie's Garden said...

I like the green, it's the color of Spring gardens! I don't like orange either. I try to keep it out of my garden, though I don't mind a kind of sherbert orange. I bought pastel lilies last year and wouldn't you know one of them is a horrible orange!

Lee said...

love me some green. I'm a red-head with green eyes; that might have something to do with it! I never tire of green (or blue). But green is my happy color!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Nope...not doing tangerine either! Love your prediction, though, Kathysue! It looks lovely with your black and white. As for me, I guess the colors of the year are...blue and yellow...again! lol Happy New Year!...hugs...Debbie

Wendi @ Classic Chic Home said...

I'm so with you on this one, Kathysue. You won't ever find tangerine in my home, although it is a pretty color. I adore emerald green, and I think that it has a subtle blue undertone as well.
If you like, check back to my Oct 23rd story 'Jewel Tones: Decorating with Emerald Green' for a little more inspiration.
Great post as always!
~ Wendi ~

Unknown said...

Super cute post. I have always LOVED green. It makes me so happy. I actually really am drawn to tangerine and realized I just bought two shirts that are tangerine. But I will never give up my green! So beautiful.

Blondie's Journal said...

I was so surprised to see tangerine as the color of the year...maybe on a sun porch or screened in room...outside by a pool. Never in my home! lol!

XO,
Jane

Jemsmom said...

Love love love the green!!! It is so cheerful and vibrant without being obnoxious! I also am in love with that green dress! Do you know where it came from? Happy New Year to you Kathysue!

Dana Frieling said...

Pantones needs to bring you in for consultations...I like your picks much better than theirs! I'm sure that pedestal is going to be happy in its new home.

Abby M. Interiors said...

I am not against adding a punch of tangerine to our home, but I much prefer emerald green. I'm actually dying for a green velvet sofa but fear our windows would fade the fabric. Great post! Can't wait to see what you do with the pedestal.
Abby

Unknown said...

I love your Kelly green color for 2012! I think we all should stick with "our" colors and not be swayed by what a little committee at Pantone decides to pick.

You know I'm a pink girl, so I'm a bit sad to see Honeysuckle say good-bye. But, as one who doesn't really like to be trendy, I'm kind of glad the rest of the world will focus on orange.

Here's to a colorful and magical new year! I'll keep my eye out for green for you.

xoxo Elizabeth

vignette design said...

At first I was thinking, "no, not cobalt blue!" As you know, blue is for me as orange is for you. It makes me anxious, unless it is paired with white, ala Ralph Lauren. But then I scrolled down to green! My favorite color! Especially that green. I love it with leopard, which is why my entry is green with leopard carpet! It is so fresh and natural to work with. It even goes with "tangerine!" Can't wait to see your wardrobe ideas as I'm sure involves more of this fantastic green!
Happy New Year my friend! ~Delores

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Although I do love burnt orange/rusts in small amounts, this gal doesn't want any tangerine in her home accept in the fruit bowl. LOL

I can totally see touches of Kelly Green in your home, especially with all the black and white you have. I think it will be exciting to see what you come up with. I am happy you are getting the little pedestal. I remember your excitement when you were showing me the pictures when I was visiting. Can't wait to see where you put it.

Hugs,
Barb

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I definitely prefer green over orange. I had a house full of orange in the seventies and will never go that route again.

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Kathysue, I don't have any orange in my home either. I have to live with blues..I am going to start wearing light tangerine and pinks. I have a girl friend who says after 40 those soft colors make you look younger! I will let you know...

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love the emerald green. i am partial to that color as it was my father's favorite color (A true Irishman) and my granddaughter was born on St. Patrick's Day..

Can't wait to see your rooms evolve with the green.
Happy New Year!

Linda in AZ * said...

*** Sweetie, Jim has the ROSE BOWL game on in the study, where I just came in to take a break (from taking down Christmas... argh!)& have some fun reading some new blogs........AMAZING COINCIDENCE (Well, SORT of!), but OREGON'S FOOTBALL JERSEYS are EMERALD GREEN(!!!)... and I discovered it JUST as I was reading about your new fascination of GREEN & watching (OK, OK, PRETENDING to watch for a minute) the game~~~~ HMMMMM!!!!!)...

I think your yard is sooooo beautifully done!!! And I DO love Emerald Green.... (but I adore EMERALD STONES even MORE!!!)... (Grins!)...

Can't wait to see what you end up doing!!!

Hugs,
Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Happy New Year, Kathysue! I agree with you, you will never see orange in my home. I personally feel that we should all pick our own color of the year...a color that makes us feel good. I love green in almost every shade so I will be looking forward to seeing how you add it to your lovely home.
Wishing you all the very best for the New Year. XO

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Kathysue, Love the pedestal and the color it is painted. I always had some blue in every home we lived in. I also like the green and looking forward to seeing how you incorporate it.
Hugs,
Sherry

Lori @ Lori May Interiors said...

While I have to say that orange is one of my absolute favorite colors and I do use a lot of it in my home. Green is another of my favs and I love how you choose your own color of the year!!

That pedestal is fabulous. It reminds me of the Asian console table that I bought at Scott's last year.

Can't wait to see your wardrobe colors!

Diane said...

While I do like orange I have been longing for some green velvet for some reason...maybe instead of a jolt of energy and color we green lovers need something restful but still exciting. I will be curious to see how you incorporate it into your decorating plans

Anonymous said...

What a fresh color choice for 2012. Nothing says fresh start like a bold kelly green. Love the green pillows with that Greek key trim. Very chic. Hope you are having a great (green) start to the new year!
xo E + J

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Loving this color, emerald green, even picked up a paint swatch yesterday. It may show up in a small dose somewhere...fun post!

Happy New Year Kathysue! Janell

La Dolfina said...

Hello Kathysue!
It's funny but I too have started a love affair with green but I've been wanting it in my wardrobe!!!!
I'm constantly looking for it when I'm clothes shopping.
It's hard to find!!!!
I'm thrilled you love the pedastal and can't wait to see where it lands in your beautiful home!
Hope you had a wonderful New Years Weekend!!!!
Lots of Love to you in 2012

arrielle_p said...

Kathysue, this is all soooo elegant and pretty. Love that patio, just stunning!
Great job in there :)

real estate in the philippines

SHERRY HART said...

Kathysue I bought this fabulous kelly green scarf from Ann Taylor when it was 50% off right before Christmas and I have been wearing it everyday. I think we were separated at birth :)