home about me our home

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Table Camouflage

I have been noticing a lot of table skirts being shown in the design world. Remember the table skirts of the 80's?  Homeowners would order  Waverly  co-ordinated fabrics and layer away. Gone are those days and now we are seeing a much more sophisticated way to camouflage our out dated or unwanted tables.......... 







This next image from, " Under Stella's Umbrella" is so fun and whimsical.............




Now you can find table skirts for rectangle tables that are not only lovely to look at, but they serve a purpose. Just think of all the goodies you could store under these table skirts.They even have a matching chair cover if you want to complete the look. The table skirt is made to fit over the folding rectangle tables we all have purchased for extra tables to use at special gatherings. Just look at the cute chair cover.....,









Let's look at few other possibilities for table skirts......


This next image is one of my all time favorites. I love the large over-sized pleats that are used and the blue and white fabric is gorgeous.......





This table skirt is almost fitted like a drum. Notice how it follows the lines of the drapes so it almost seems part of the window treatment. Very interesting!!







Another large pleated skirt, but this time it has a border on each pleat. I love this treatment it looks sharp!!


If you are in need of a pleated table skirt Ballard designs has a 96in. pleated table skirt for $75. That is extremely reasonable. If you have ever had a custom table skirt made they will run much more than that.They offer several different sizes and  fabrics of your choice. Go HERE if you would like to see what they offer. I am seriously considering one in a velvet for the winter for my living room. You can also order swatches!!


 I actually have two table skirts in my home, one in my dining room and one in my living room. Using a table skirt is a good way to cover a table you no longer like for the room, but it is serving a purpose. It is also a way to make a room have a fresh new look.

So what do you all think about a table skirt for your own home? Do you already have a tableskirt in a room or do you think you could use one to freshen up the look of an older table?


"Enjoy the Process" Of:

Using a table skirt to give an old table a new, fresh look and also to add some hidden storage!!

BTW: Tiffany from Living Savvy has a great tutorial on how to make your own tailored table skirt for a rectangle table HERE!






30 comments:

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

I love a tailored table skirt. I currently have one on one of the bedside tables in our guest room. I love how it can transform a ho-hum table into something pretty! Lots of great examples here!

Anonymous said...

Loving the pleated skirts! Hope your week is going good, Kathysue! xo

Amanda said...

Love it! So much better than the old round table with square topper! I have to be honest though- I got rid of all my round tables and have a hard time brining one back in my home. I was so "over" them. BUT I did find these cool table covers for your card tables. I entertain a lot during the fall & winter months so I ordered 4 of these! and there prices were great! You can get them here: http://tablevogue.com/
Have a great day!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

Oh my goodness! I just posted a How To today for a table skirt just like the first one! I never liked table skirts, but now I am a changed gal! So funny what goes around comes around!

Tiffany {Living Savvy}

Splendid Sass said...

I especially love the blue, Kathysue! Gorgeous.
I haven't used shirts but have a table that needs one.
Have a great day.
Teresa
xoxo

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Those table skirts are amazing! They have come a long way. So very elegant and eye pleasing. Thanks for sharing. I don't have any in our house, however it does make me think.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Good morning Kathysue. Love having my coffee and reading your blog. Love table skirts. Great way to add some softness or cover up an ugly table.

Tammy@InStitches said...

The only skirts I've made lately have been pleated, such a fresh, updated look. The drum one is so clever !

Stacy CUrran said...

I LOVE the first one, and the orange one. I wish I could sew! They are really tailored and beautiful looking
Stacy

The Buzz Blog said...

Have been meaning to replace my old Ballard quilted table skirt with something more modern so thank you for the inspiration! And you're right, skirts are a great way to hide under table storage...
xxoo
Carolyn

P.S. Love the new look, Kathysue!

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

I love beautiful linen table skirts. You might remember we skirted a custom demi-lune table on the landing in the Symphony Designer house. It was a good solution for a tight space. These are beautiful...I'm impressed with the large pleated skirt from Ballard. Good informative post.XOXO, Mona

laxsupermom said...

Love those tailored skirts! They're such a polished look. Thanks for sharing.

SHERRY HART said...

I am a big fan of tableskirts. The can add softness to a room, especially if there are too many legs......Ballards is a great place to start as their prices are very reasonable for sure. With 6 yards needed for a standard 30" round table it can get pricey with labor cost added to that.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I love covered tables...and they are so inexpensive to make! You have some lovely ones posted here.

Georgica Pond said...

Yes I had them in the 80s and 90s when I did lots of layered Jane Churchill florals and checks in blue, white and yellow. I shudder now to think of that flouncy table skirt now but thought it was pretty great at the time. I much prefer the tailored sharp clean lines of these,, but probably wouldn't have one unless I had a piece of furniture I was trying to hide.

Karena said...

Kathysue, I agree with you on that blue and white patterned entry table. I love it!

Come and join my new fashion Giveaway from Fresh Produce!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Tablescapes By Diane said...

HI lovely lady.
I LOVE this !! I have a table on my patio this is a great Idea!! Seeing I love to sew.Thanks so much for the Idea. I hope you have a great week.
XXOO Diane

designchic said...

So pretty... love the blue one in the first image!!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Beautiful images!!! I DO use table skirts to hide storage:):) XO, Pinky

Unknown said...

Nice post. I love a tailored table skirt! Some nice examples here.

Anonymous said...

I used to be the queen of table skirts with fringe. Lately I've avoided them like the plague due to overuse in my designs. But I'm starting to be very tempted with the very tailored ones. Think I might have to try it!

Marianne said...

I love skirted tables and am thinking about doing a few for my own home. So pretty!

lisaroy said...

This is such a flashback to the 80s! I remember having table skirts in my bedroom back in college - cheap and cheerful, plus I could hide stuff underneath. I haven't had one since but perhaps I need to reconsider!

The enchanted home said...

Hi Kathysue! So happy to be back in blogland....got internet back last night!
Love tableskirts and do hope they are making a comeback, because I am a definite fan and love all the stunning examples you showed!!

tableandtop.com said...

Really starting to love the pleated skirts. The color and pattern in the fifth photo really caught my eye. Thanks for the inspiration and post!!

'Please visit our new website www.tableandtop.com'

La Dolfina said...

I love this post and all the beautiful examples you've shown!
But most of all I LOVE the new look of your blog!!!!
It's gorgeous, just like you!!

savvycityfarmer said...

... is there a whole house camaflouge?


hehehe

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Hey Kathysue...I just love these. I have a sofa table with a banged up top. Will this work if the edge of the table is beveled? I struggle sometimes with measuring and this looks like it has to be pretty precise. It will certainly take some thought!

a' la mode said...

LOVE! Does anyone know the name of the blue and white fabric used on the hexagonal skirted table? GORGEOUS- I want some pillows in this fabric!!! Great post doll! xoxo shel

Victoria Mische said...

My daughter is getting married at the end of march and I would love to have her wedding unforgettable. My husband and I are pretty handy and at making things. Do you think you could share some how to’s with me? Anyway they are great and so is the decorating. Keep up at fantastic work!

Victoria -->>
http://www.yourchaircovers.com/