home about me our home

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It is NOT just Black and White to ME!!

I haven’t written a black and white post in a long time. I love the strong contrast of black and white. This combination always feels so sharp and timeless to me.


Black and white is a favorite of mine to use, even though I prefer a Spring pallet of colors. I like to add a touch of black and white in almost all of the rooms in my home.


Since I am so enamored with this wonderful combination I have quite a few images saved in my files, and on my board over at Pinterest.


This is actually an all time favorite image of mine. I would love to have an entry wide enough for a center hall table.


Source: None via Kathy Sue on Pinterest

Any one that knows me, knows that I love, love black and white stripes.



The addition of the black trim on the curtains makes a perfect outline on the window treatment.



In this room the form of black is not in the fabrics, but in the window frame, lantern, and the four poster bed. An all white room can become more grounded with the addition of black.



This is a great idea!! I love the look of the black wainscoting in the all white bathroom.



I can not imagine having the luxury of a porch this size. I am sure it is on a beautiful old Southern home. The black and white striped shades really make a wonderful statement tying in with the painted checker board floor of the porch.



What struck me as stunning in this image is not just the striped flooring , but check out the applied white moldings on the door. Love the center bulls eye and the shiny nickel door knob.



I wish I were brave enough to paint an entire room black. I find this stunning, cozy and inviting. Could you paint an entire room black?


How fun!! Black buttons and a striped back truly make a striking statement on this chair. It is all trimmed out in black, and the wood has been given a coat of glossy black paint. I am a lover of either totally flat black or gloss black when it comes to finishes in black.


Simple, classic, black!



This is actually a picture of my front porch. I told you I love black and white stripes. I am really excited to show you my backyard in a few weeks. I am waiting on a delivery. When it gets here I will do a post.


Talk about being practical with black and white. This is a darling mudroom entry.



This is just gorgeous!


I don’t think my words can do this beauty justice!



My favorite kind of floor, black and white diamond or checkerboard is a favorite look of mine.


4 (478x640)This is actually a picture of my guest bathroom. The floor is Carrara marble with absolute black granite. I remember the day this floor was finished. I said, “ When I die just bury me in the tub!” I had waited over 25 years for this floor. Trust me dreams are worth waiting for! 




entry (478x640)
This is the entry floor that leads into the bathroom.
I told you! I have a thing for black and white!!


summer kitchen 014 (800x600)
Just a touch of black in my green and white kitchen makes me happy.



I love this image, because it not only has my favorite black and white combo, but it also has blue and green, two other colors that I love to mix in my home decor. Notice how they painted the ceiling blue. I did this treatment in my guest room and it is so soothing to look up at the ceiling while laying in bed!

I hope you have enjoyed my little journey through black and white land?!!

I would like to leave you with one more black and white image. This is for all of you wonderful people that come back to read what I have to write week after week. You have made this journey a fantastic trip and I thank you from the bottom of my heart……….


“Enjoy the Process” Of:

Adding a little black and white to your lives!!

Kathysue

27 comments:

Wendi @ Classic Chic Home said...

Kathysue,
I love black and white rooms. They have a timeless quality, and yet still feel fresh and current. You've included wonderful examples. I really must check out Pinterest, but I'm scared that I'll become addicted to yet another site!
Thanks for sharing!
Wendi

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing! I pinned a few things myself!

Sandra said...

Very nice! I love the combination of black and white! So clean and crisp! Thank you for sharing!
Sandra

Kellie Collis said...

These are gorgeous! I think I'm in love with black and white combination now! Enjoy the beautiful day, Kellie xx

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I'm a true believer in black and white in a room, thanks for posting all the beautiful photos I especially liked the one of your porch! I'll be pinning the one of the kitchen, just beautiful!

The enchanted home said...

I do like black and white, it is fresh and gives a room a certain drama that I think any space benefits from. Very pretty examples of how well it works in a variety of spaces....

Unknown said...

Love the b & w, specially that first image and the arched windows pic. I'm a fan of bold statements.

Unknown said...

"Yumminess" Kathysue!!! I think I have a thing for black & white now too!

Cathy

Splendid Sass said...

Kathysue-
I love black and white too! So chic.
My favorites here are the porch, which is to die for, and the dining table with metal windows and door. Gorgeous.
Have a great day.
Teresa
xoxo

Lee said...

As much as I love a touch of black in every room, I'm 'just saying no' to spray-painting whatever in black! I had to go through it, and it did work on one cute office chair we've had from the first year of our marriage (nearly 44 years ago), BUT some things just looked, well, sprayed, yes well sprayed and definitely shouted diy when it would have been better to just wait for a better replacement, down the road.

laxsupermom said...

I love the classic look of black & white together. Gorgeous images! I love that you included some of your own home. Thanks for sharing.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

If I could start over from scratch I would do this. I saw a black and white home recently in a magazine and fell in love. Great pictures. I'll be pinning a few!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Kathysue,

To be 10% honest I'm not a big fan of black and white. It always feel a bit cold too me, I always miss more color. Have that said, I felt completely different about the spaces you found here. So, maybe I need to be more open to it because you just showed me that it can be beautiful! :-)

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

PS: please, drop by if you have a minute to enter my Newest Giveaway!

pat said...

Hi Kathysue,
You know I had to comment on this post because of my love for black and white too. I loved all of the pictures especially the first one of the foyer and your guest bathroom. You love to put a spring color pallet with your b&w I use a khaki color. Black and white is timeless for sure in wardrobe too!
When some one comes to visit and they get to use that stunning guest bathroom they must feel like royalty! Barb and Jeanette are so lucky!
Have a good day and thanks for another wonderful, innspirational blog post.
Love you friend,
Pat

Amanda said...

*sigh* You know I never tire of black and white! It just takes my breath away every time I see- its like seeing it for the 1st time. I love that feeling!!

Stop by for my giveaway- it ya get a chance

http://www.amandacarolathome.com/2011/08/layla-grayce-giveaway.html

diane said...

black and white stripes are a favorite of mine as well. Check out all the yummy black and white home accessories at mackenzie-childs if you haven't already..its what black and white dreams are made of.

Thanks for the daisies at the end...I may have to frame that one

Stacy CUrran said...

Hi Kathysue....My post today was on stripes, and I had a lot of black and white striped floors...similar to yours!! It's happening again (two great minds looking at the same amazing images!) I LOVED this post!
Stacy

Bring Pretty Back said...

Kathysue- You are so right- a million years from now ... black and white will still be ceautiful and classic.
Have a pretty day ,
Kristin

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

YOur black and white marble is stunning and all the touches you use is so pretty. You do find the most beautiful pictures. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

These photos are all just so chic! Our entire home is filled with hints of black and white, and we absolutely love it! Thanks for all this inspiration!!
xo E + J

Jessie said...

Black and white are such classic color combos, they are for here to stay. I especially love black and white stripes in decor, they always look so chic and works well in every room! All gorgeous inspirations as usual, Kathysue!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that kitchen!!!! xoxo

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Kathysue! I am also a fan of black and white rooms as evidenced by my home office. I love all the inspiration pictures and your porch and bathroom are gorgeous!
xo,
Sherry

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Beautiful...and so you, Kathysue! The prettiest photos are the ones of your own home! No kidding...I paused and was studying the guest bathroom before I realized it was yours! :-) Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

Love this post Kathysue! Beautiful images!

Kathy said...

These images are gorgeous, but I especially like your kitchen pots...just perfect!

Sarah said...

Kathysue thanks for sharing all this wonderful inspiration. I too love black and white. I'd love to redo an entire room in black and white with a punch of color here and there.