home about me our home

Friday, April 29, 2011

I Am A Prepster!!!

I am a self admitted Prepster!! Yes, you heard right I must admit it, I love a preppy look. It really should not be a surprise since my favorite patterns are checks and stripes .

When I was younger there was no problem carrying off this look. As I have matured it has become a bit more difficult to not look too cutesy.

During my Spring purge I went through my existing Spring wardrobe and made a little list of some pieces I would like to add to my wardrobe to punch it up a little.

The one item I was dying to find was a gingham shirt. I looked and looked on line and found a few but finally decided on the Perfect shirt in navy by  J.Crew . Here it is shown in red……

untitled (393x393)


I can't show you an outfit without a room to go with it!! After all, this is a design blog!!





Slipcovered chairs Nancy Boszhardt via The Enchanted Home blog.






Shall we look at my navy gingham shirt and some fun ways to wear it?.......


This large bauble necklace makes this outfit and I love how it looks with the navy gingham. I like that the purple does not match the navy. I would wear this look with my white jeans and tie the belt just like this. I would finish it off with cobalt blue patent flats.








This simple shirtwaist dress would be so nice and cool for the summer. I would add a bright yellow belt tied like in the previous image. Cute black sandals and a large bright red bangle would finish it off.









Even though gingham is usually considered a casual look I love the idea of glamming it up with pearls and rhinestones!!





Fun and easy shopping outfit. I might spice it up a little with pearls and rhinestones as pictured in the above image!!





How do you all feel about gingham? Are you a Prepster and do you still yearn for a good gingham check like I do?!


"Enjoy the Process" Of:

Dressing in patterns that you love!!!


Kathysue


20 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

It sounds like you have great fashion sense, Kathy. I do like the checked shirts paired with skirts! Your accessories sound cute, too!

XO,
Jane

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

I haven't done checks in a while, but I like the idea of a navy shirt. But my eye really focused on that rhinestone and pearl necklace ! Want!!!

vignette design said...

Gingham is my middle name! xo Delores

LiveLikeYou said...

You must be a Swede at heart!! Blue and white gingham is a signature design look at home, even the SAS airline staff wears it. I of course love it too!

Sarah said...

Guilty here! I love checks, stripes, and dots. Great inspiration photos! Your red check shirt made me think of one of my favorite skits ever. It was long, flowing, and red gingham. I wore it in the 80s, pared with a belted white over shirt and sandals. This post makes me wish I still had it, but it was purged long ago. ~ Sarah

Mona Thompson said...

I adore checks. Always have, always will. these are great images. I'm in love with the slipped dining chairs. Also, just read your interview with Karen. Great job!!!! Mona

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Gingham and me -- born to be together. I love checks to a degree that is not describable! I adore these fresh and modern takes on the shirts -- you have inspired me to go get a blue and white one I saw but was looking for a fresh way to wear it. And, of course, I would give a right arm for any of the room images you showed!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Love that last "shopping" outfit...and the slipcovers in the dining room are so HAPPY.

Bring Pretty Back said...

Kathysue~ LOVE gingham!
have a pretty day!
Kristin

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathysue...what wonderful ideas to dress in checks..I haven't thought about checks in a while...and I really love both skirts....
fabulous finds...
maureen

Melissa Miller said...

Me too! I love the prepster look Kathysue. I like that outfit very much. Nice photos!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I am totally not a prepster but I love black and white and have some herringbone jackets and a coat too. I bet you are STYLIN, KS!!!!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I've been more than tempted by the JCrew check skirt on more than one occasion, but Isabella has said no. Yes, she plans my outfits for me, I don't know what it is, she has the eye!!

Love the check bed...so adorable! Janell

Hamptontoes said...

I love gingham shirts, especially paired with ballet flats and jeans. It looks polished, yet comfortable and practical for everyday outings.

The enchanted home said...

I love this whole post! Awesome (and thanks for the mention) LOVE gingham and have several shirts in several colors..that last outfit with the jeans, gingham shirt, cardigan and flats...soooo me! This whole post is so me. We are two peas in a pod. Great looking, classic and chic. Well done!!

Karen said...

I attended a college prep school in the '80's and you were nobody if you didn't have a monogrammed sweater and an entire wardrobe of pink and kelly green. I think I got totally burned out on the preppy look for a long time, but returned to it when my daughter was 3. Her bedroom was done in pink and kelly green and had a green and white gingham bedskirt. I'm sure it would have been given the Kathysue seal of approval.

Unknown said...

I love gingham....and am thinking I need to find something for the 4th of July this year. Red gingham!!

And, so fun to know you're really a prepster underneath!!! (I was SO preppy in the 80s I can't even tell you!).

xoxo Elizabeth

Marianne said...

Adore the shopping outfit and glamming it up with the jewels!

quintessence said...

I LOVE gingham and checks - always so fresh and graphic. And checks work with everything everywhere in both fashion and design!!

Anonymous said...

beautiful! amazing!