home about me our home

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What is Old is New Again!!

Have you all noticed how much gold metal is being shown in magazines and throughout blog land?

So many are claiming it as a new love. To them it probably is a new love because we were so inundated with silver and nickel metals in home decor in the recent past. Even silver jewelry was claimed as a new favorite of many.  I think we are looking for something different, so we naturally turn to gold metal as a new/old look.

I am enjoying the new/old look of gold in home accessories. I find that they have emerged in a sophisticated manner and also sometimes in a whimsical manner.



1 (300x338)



3 (460x341)
All white with gold, and then grounded with the black floor and night stands, is stunning.



6 (423x600)
So many have painted gold frames in all sorts of colors, but you can see if a classic simple frame is grouped with other frames it makes for a wonderful vignette.  Will there be regrets by those that held a can of spray paint?



2 (305x404)
Sarah Richardson used this darling gold bamboo table to give this room a sophisticated look.



4 (320x480)
This is a vintage lamp and yet it looks fresh and new. Why is that?
I personally think it is because of the great drum shade that was used, but mostly because of the stunning and current looking backdrop of wallpaper.



Sarah Richardson (297x396)
Just look at this amazing light fixture! Now that would give any room a new fresh look.



Ashley Goforth (386x600)
Simple gold frames above a lovely antique side table. Using brass nail heads is another way to add a touch of gold to a room and look chic.



4 (400x399)
These lamps look vintage to me as well as the bamboo stools. Both are made to look new and current. The stools are painted in a current pop of yellow.
Using brass lamps on a mirrored parsons table and sitting it in front of a grid patterned wallpaper make for a very current look.  By adding a starburst mirror in a silver finish makes for a nice contrast.

It is becoming very obvious to me, in order for gold metals to look current and not like a throw-back of the 80's, one must be careful with what they pair it with.


jan showers 2 (400x335) 
Simple and elegantly done by Jan Showers.



3 (460x360)
Phoebe Howard has done an amazing job using such a wonderful mix of styles and eras of furniture here. The mirror with its pediment and shell motif is so classically beautiful. It appears to be paired with a Danish modern coffee table with a few gold accessories on top. Not everyone could pull this look off and do it so well. Leave it to the amazing Phoebe Howard.


phoebe howard (360x460)
Gold frames, brass light fixture, and the feet of the table are covered with golden caps. Again classically beautiful, truly a timeless look.


Urban Grace (333x500)
Gorgeous!!!!


5 (365x363)
I love the small gold metal bench that can slip easily under the black lacquered hall table. To repeat the gold metal look it is used on the brass door knob and back plate. Just a touch here and there keeps it new and fresh. So un-like the 80’s where brass was everywhere you would look in a room.




Have you taken on  any gold in your home decor? Is it a new love or one that is just revisiting you in a new way?

“Enjoy the Process” Of:

Adding a little luxury and elegance to your home with a touch of gold!


Kathysue

24 comments:

Simple Daisy said...

No gold here! I think gold is gorgeous but I just don't have any in my home!!!
Have a great first day of March!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Good Morning Kathysue,
I still love touches of gold throughout my nearly white and silver home. I have a huge entryway mirror that is gold and I will never change it. Some of my frames are still gold.
It's interesting to see how gold is making a comeback and whether or not it will be embraced by bloggers!! LOL!

thanks for sharing these lovely photos and for yet more wonderful design ideas from a professional like you.

hugs
Sissie

Anonymous said...

I love that gold bamboo table... so sweet! xo

A Perfect Gray said...

so true, Kathysue. It's been around for ages but now declared 'fresh.' I have to admit, I thought of gold accents recently as a little outdated but now look at them with a new eye...

donna

laxsupermom said...

Our inherited Dining Room furniture has gold toned brass pulls which I wouldn't dream of changing. Of course this means that silver frames above the sideboard would look out of place. I'm in the process of painting a collection of frames what I hope to be a "gilver" color. Not quite silver, not quite gold. I'm still testing out my paint combos, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to hit on exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for sharing this collection of pics. I'm especially likeing the touch of gold in the wallpapers.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I never left gold or brass behind, maybe because despite recent trends it looks better in my home. Who knows...I just might be a trend setter.(-:

vignette design said...

I love this post! My husband found a couple of buffet lamps in the garage that are gold that I had banished. Now they sit behind the sofa looking fresh and new again! But I do have a lot of oil paintings, mostly framed in their original gold leaf frames. And the wooden drapery rods and rings in my living room are gold leave too.
But, when we moved into this house 12 years ago, it was the "house of brass!" Every faucet, every light switch, etc. I set about debrassing the house. Still, all the door knobs are brass, and it's ok.
All my jewelry is white gold or silver though. Or turquoise!
xo Delores

Tote said...

Kathysue, you are so informative! I learn so much from reading your blog.
Thank you!

Karena said...

Always Kathysue. Framed mirrors and art! Gold jewelry is back again and I found a fabulous pair that dangle with a Fleur de Lis!

I have an Artful Offering and great interview on my site.You will love it!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

I never moved into the silver or brushed nickel in my home. The bronze seems to blend more seamlessly with the gold and brass that were already there. Now I'm glad I didn't. The golds being used now seem to have more of a patina to them rather than a brassy look. I say, learn to gild! It's the perfect touch. Fun post. Kind of fits in with mine today a little bit!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

I have never tired of gold and brass. It's just so classic, it really never goes out, does it? I like the way you talked about what to pair it with to get away from the 80's. Bad memories!! :)

Karen said...

I've been collecting gold frames from vintage stores for months to create a wall arrangement. I was planning on having black mats made but after seeing the use of white mats with gold frames here, you've sold me on the look.

I'm so glad gold is coming back, I've always loved the warmth of a gold frame.

9405018--Pat said...

Yeah! i'm so happy to hear this....I love my brass candles sticks! I've been collecting these for years great post today..thanks for sharing...

LindsB said...

I love old things and new things together, and something that is new that is made to look old is fun too :)

PS- I TOTALLY forgot to answer you about those little color swatches I use, so so so sorry! I usually just put a photo in powerpoint and make them myself, or they can also be done with programs like snagit or photoshop :)

The Buzz Blog said...

Kathysue - you have the "golden touch" when it comes to finding beautiful images... that light fixture is fabulous and the nursery even more so!

Thanks for leading me to your psot on bottles - could be a new obssession of mine, too!

Carolyn

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, I am glad to see the return of gold. Those are some great images.

simply brookes: said...

Great post. Love the photo collection.
Oh, and thanks for stopping by Kathysue. Great to hear from you over at Simply Brookes:

Linda in AZ * said...

* THANK YOU, "Ks"~ THAT was so fun... so many LOVELY PIECES n' IDEAS!!!!!!

Warmest,
Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

Sue said...

I'm sticking with the silver...I've never been a fan of gold in my home. We are in the process of changing out all the door knobs from brass to nickel.

Anonymous said...

I love gold!!!
Happy March 1!
Xo,
E&J

Tricia said...

No gold for me. I had brass handles and knobs in my house and couldn't wait to get rid of it all. Now everything has a lovely brown tone and I am much happier :)

Mona Thompson said...

I've always loved gold, silver too for that matter. I guess I'm just in to precious metals. They both have their place. These are some wonderful images. Love them all.

Calypso In The Country said...

I have switched most of my faucets from the silver gold mix to brushed nickel. I prefer brushed nickel or oil rubbed bronze only because I had been looking at the shiny mixture in my house for 11 years. I have thought about changing all the shiny brass doorknobs and hinges but I just can't get myself to pay all that money!
Shelley

Home Lighting said...

Wonderful post Kathysue! Love the light fixtures. Pretty and timeless :)If you want your house to stand out, these fixtures are the solution :)