home about me our home

Thursday, March 3, 2011

How Many is Too Many???

While doing a little blog hopping the other day, I went to visit a blog I follow, Delight by Design.

 If you have not seen this blog it makes for an inspirational read. Please hop on over and take a peek and tell her that Kathysue sent you.


Now, back to what I was going to talk about…… When I read her post about mixing vintage, chic and Ikea I was struck by the interiors she was posting,designed by Jeff Lincoln…….

jeff lincoln design via delight by design (650x488) 

What I was struck by was his prolific use of mirrors in a room.jeff lincoln design via delight by design.bmp2 (650x488)Notice that even the sideboard has a mirrored front. The only mirror I would have moved is the white mirror that appears to be in an entry hall. I might have moved it farther away from the console table vignette.  Too many mirrors? I personally don’t think so.

When I was working I would often times suggest more than one mirror in a room. Almost inevitably my client would ask, “ Is it alright to have two mirrors in one room.” I would always answer, "absolutely."  Sometimes I would use my own home to get my point across........

mirror (478x640)
table (478x640)
liv3 (478x640)
In my living room I have two mirrors, two sconces that are mirrored, and my table is mirrored, How about a total of five mirrors in one room. Is that alright? I think so.

Look at my dining room………..
dining (478x640)
Two matching floor length mirrors on each side of the window with lamps in front of them. Four mirrors on the paneled door and not pictured a mirror on a small wall as you enter.

Right across from the dining room is my kitchen where the back wall of my glass front cupboard is mirrored and I also have a black framed mirror in the corner on the counter top.
kitchen (478x640)
Shall we count them? If you count each panel mirror as a mirror I have a total of nine mirrors in my kitchen/dinette area alone.


I have always admitted I have a slight obsession with mirrors. Not for the use of seeing my reflection but for the amount of light that they bring into a room. We all know that they also make a small space look larger.

So when a client or a friend ask me, "How many is too many?" My answer is, "Whatever you like that looks good to your eye!!!"


Here are a few images that show some fun ways to display multiples of mirrors……..

1 (600x800)
A matching trio.


3 (600x400)
I love this! Just look at how the mirror-less frame becomes sulptural next to the sculptural  hat stand. No matching here- just a random yet, balanced vignette or mirrors.


5 (388x388)
I did a frameless mirror arrangement quite similar to this for a client several years ago.  I think it still works. It is so reflective and pretty.


6 (550x550) 


anthropologie (590x393)
via Athropologie


via Mod nest (450x600)
via Mod nest


2 (450x600)
This is just amazing!! Black and white stripe, silhouettes and mirrors all in one setting! Be still my heart!!


via the lennox (360x460)
Via the Lennox, another favorite blog of mine!!


master bed and bath 015
Master Bed and Bath 2 010 (785x800)
 In my master bedroom I have two matching mirrors above the nightstands, a mirrored armoire next to the vanity sink mirror, and a mirrored closet door. A total of five mirrors in one room. Too many?????

What do you think? Do you like one mirror in a room or can you handle more?

“Enjoy the Process” Of:

Adding more than one mirror to a room for light and reflection.

Kathysue

18 comments:

Tote said...

What about feng shui? I love mirrors, I just don't know about too many? I think your mirrors looked good because many of them were on furniture, and not just hanging on walls.

Susan

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I LOVE the mirrors in your bedroom...especially over the nightstands...gives the feel of windows. Beautiful. Mother of pearl, right?
Mary Ann

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I love seeing all the mirrors, Kathysue! I hope this also applies to plates on the wall! lol As for yor letter P...I like white with navy edges. Can't wait to see what you do with it! And I am relieved to see gold is coming back. It never left in my master bedroom...touches of it there! As you can see, I am finally trying to play catchup! I hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Anonymous said...

I am finishing a little redo in one of the guest rooms over the next couple of days. You answered a question I have been pondering, Kathysue.

Becca Bertotti said...

I love mirrors! (Just not what they reflect when I look at them ... lol) I, too, think you can't have enough. I love the inspiration pics and seeing how differently they're used (especially in a grouping). FUN. Your home is beautiful! Have a great day, *Becca* (www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com)

LiveLikeYou said...

Your house looks beautiful!! You can never have enough mirrors in a room to me. They reflect light, bring in life and soul to any space. They can solve design issues, and open up the room and add something magical!

lizziefitz said...

Very interesting that you would post about this. My husband is always saying, "enough with the mirrors ( and stripes) " . The funny part is ,I rarely look at my own reflection (oy vey) ,I just love to reflect light. Light makes me happy.

Unknown said...

I love mirrors and mirrored furniture. I think they add light and reflection....all making for a happy space!

xo elizabeth

Unknown said...

i'm a mirror person - so the more the merrier!

I’m hosting a give-away and would LOVE for you and ALL to
Join Custom Sign Give-Away


*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I don't think it is quantity as much as how they are designed and fit into the room and the space. In the first picture there is just too much of everything! I love mirrors too...in fact the backsplashes in my kitchen are mirrored.

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

The mirrors going up the stairway look amazing! Such a neat idea to do them there in a space that is usually darker than others. I must admit, that I always question the "too many mirrors" decision when I'm designing. I think it has to be a deliberate decision, but perhaps I need to relax a little,cause I love what you've done in your home. BTW. Your bedroom should be in a magazine!

chisenfam said...

Stopping by really quick before an appt. but just had to comment on these beautiful rooms. I have always wondered if I put more than two mirrors in a room would it be too many? I LOVE using mirrors, and now that Ive seen your blog along with all the pretty rooms with lots of mirrors, I feel like I've got the green light to put more! I know its my house but for some reason hestitated. That bedroom and bathroom of yours are just absolute prefection! Carol

The Buzz Blog said...

I have to say that seeing the top images from Jeff leaves me feeling unsettled - I don't know if I really like all those mirrors. I much prefer your use of mirrors that are not only on the walls but on the furniture, as well.
xxoo

Gypsy Heart said...

I love all your mirrors! I agree too that one cannot have too many. It just makes a lighter, brighter room/home in my opinion. Thanks for sharing!

Pat

Mona thompson said...

I love mirrors. All different kinds, and don't mind more than one mirror in the same room. but you have to be careful. I also love mirror groupings. I think the first designer had way too many mirrors and just wasn't wild about the placement. You've done a beautiful job in your home. Mona

Karen said...

I've always like the use of an arrangement of small mirrors instead of art. However, just this evening I was perusing the latest Ballard Designs catalog and there was a bedroom with 3 mirror hanging horizontally over a bed with three mirrors hung vertically over each of the bedside tables flanking the bed. I thought it was a bit too much.

Blooming Rose Musings said...

I love mirrors in a room. They add light and reflection and a sense of energy. I do think that added sparkle of light is wonderful. I do think that, like anything else, you have to be careful with placement and not over-doing it is important. I adore what you have done in your home...perfection!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kathysue, I love the colors in your bedroom and the mirrors above the nightstands. Your use of mirrors is fabulous. I like to see a collection hung together.
xo,
Sherry