home about me our home

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

How About A Blue Thanksgiving?

If you add brown to your blue, it is a perfect choice for Thanksgiving.

 Maybe this combination is not the typical autumnal colors, but it is equally as pretty and festive.
I went looking for some blue and brown inspiration for you all and here is what I found……….
3 (313x400)
The addition of the pheasant feathers really makes it perfect for Thanksgiving.
2 (360x450)
Just a touch of blue with the feather on a pretty brown and white plate. It looks like Martha used bias tape in brown, tied loosely around the napkin.
4 (500x666)
Blue transfer ware with the brown tone of the wood furniture would make a lovely Thanksgiving table.
6 (473x600)
The addition of brown branches and some Asian blue and white porcelain and you have a lovely buffet for Thanksgiving.
1 M stewart (360x450)
Tiffany blue is used here and the brown is used in the marbling on the plate rim.
8 (480x321)
A more modern setting using cylinders with leaves and you can find the blue in the napkins and plates in a very soft shade of blue.
9 (460x360)
I love this whole setting, especially the amazing art piece above the buffet. By putting the blue glasses on this table the whole look changes.
So there you have it!! Would you consider using blue on your own Thanksgiving table?
“Enjoy the Process” Of:
Using some blue on your Thanksgiving table for something different!!
Kathysue

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love using this combination.

I recognized Mary Carol Garrity's dining room. I've had the pleasure of seeing that gorgeous room a couple of times in different seasons. Beautiful inspiration every time!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Kathysue, Yes, I do use some blue! I think it is effective not only with brown but also with the oranges and burgundy accents of the season. It is a little break for the eyes. Love Nell Hill's dining room. I would love to paint my dining room or foyer that color. Still working on the hubby on that one. Linda

Acanthus and Acorn said...

LOVE IT!!! It's a favorite of mine, so it's great fun to see how other incorporate this combo.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love blue. My dining room used to be dark blue like the one you showed. Great ideas there.

Angela said...

Beautiful pictures. I'm always looking for ways to use blue dishes. I love blue and brown. I have an amazing collection of Allertons Blue Willow that I bought from my aunt shortly before she passed away. She inherited it from her mother in law who got it during the war. She hosted family Thanksgiving dinner as far back as I can remember. It has so much sentimental value and I use it all the time and now I host the family Thanksgiving for 35ish in her memory. My first blog post ever was about my blue willow tablescape at Thanksgiving. I've incorporated it around my house and yes, you are exactly right; it looks amazing with brown. For several years I used brown tablecloths and napkins tied with brown ribbon and burlap runners. Though last year I used black tablecloths and pink roses as centerpieces and it really looked pretty too.
I think this link will get you to my blue willow tablescape http://angela-unfussyfussiness.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=1

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I love the idea of a non traditional color palette for a holiday table setting! Looking at these images I realize I need some china...or at least some pretty colored glasses. Perhaps that is the key to setting a beautiful table, being excited about using some of your pretties!
Janell

La Dolfina said...

Oh Kathysue, I just love this blue and brown Thanksgiving inspiration. I was just pondering whether or not to use my blue chargers on my Thanksgiving Table. You've given me the courage to do it. Something different but oh so lovely.
Thank you for always showing us alternatives, you're the best!!
Love you,
Terri

vignette design said...

Blue and brown is a lovely combo and a welcome surprise from the traditional Thanksgiving colors. I don't think I own anything blue though! haha! I think blue to me is like orange to you! Love all the gorgeous images representing blue and brown. Very elegant. I have a feeling you are giving us a preview to your Thanksgiving table!

Blondie's Journal said...

I adore the blue dining room...such a nice departure from red.

Loving the blue and brown together!

XO,
Jane

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

I love non-traditional holiday settings! Blue all the way!

Kristen White said...

Beautiful inspirations pics...love them all!
Kristen

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Kathysue, they are all gorgeous. You always find the most beautiful pictures. I can't wait to see what you do this year. Hugs, Marty

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Kathysue,

Blue and brown works very soothing and warm! Perfect for an 'earthy' Thanksgiving amidst loved ones!

Thanks for sharing this.

Greetings from Georgia,

MariettesBacktoBasics

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Beautiful images, Kathysue! This combination is great for Thanksgiving - wish I had some blue transferware!!

Pinky said...

I have been SEARCHING for pheasant featers for WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!! I sure wish I could find some! I do like the blue.

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

I like the blue, but I really love the pheasant feathers! I use them at Thanksgiving and incorporate them into my Christmas as well. Your table is going to be amazing this year after all these ideas you keep finding. You will have to share!

Marcus Design said...

I LOVE this! Brown and gold make blue so classy. What a perfect palette for Thanksgiving.
Nancy xo