home about me our home

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

To Pleat or Not to Pleat? That is the Question!


I have a thing for pleats. I loved to wear them when I was young and now that I have a home to decorate I love them in furniture. I have been looking around at the different pieces you can get with pleats in upholstered pieces and there are some really appealing designs.  Let me show you some that I am loving .

This is an amazing bedroom by Designer Tobi Fairley. I love the nice deep pocket in this oversized box pleat.
Another darling room by Tobi. The ottoman in this girls room has some great box pleats around its edges.

You have to look carefully to see these pleats. They rest above the skirt bottom, just barely peeking out. I really like this look. I find it interesting.

These pleats are a bit different than a box pleat. They are side-by-side almost overlapping. These are called fan pleats. I have noticed that I am liking my pleats with a fair amount of length in order to lay nicely.  The other element I like is the little legs or casters peeking out from underneath, leaving a bit of visual space between the bottom of the skirt and the floor.

Here we have a smaller pleated skirt.  It almost gives a ruffled affect. I would be afraid that this would not lay smoothly after its first washing. It appears to be a slip covered piece. This is another example of a fan pleat.

I found this room on Cote de Texas blog. This room was done by Designer Suellen Gregory.  Pretty and Pink.  Love the large box pleats on the ottoman.

I am seriously thinking about four of these little beauties for my living room.  They are slipcovered  so that would make them washable. That is a plus with a family.  Look at the darling little casters peeking out from under the skirt.

This sofa has box pleats with a good length to them.  I definitely like the legs peeking out from under the skirt.
After looking at all these pleated beauties, do you prefer box or fan pleats? How about the width of the pleat? Do you prefer the larger or the more narrow pleats. One other thing to think about!  Do you like pleats to go to the floor or to leave a little air space between the pleats and the floor?

These are all questions I have asked myself.  So far I am liking the box pleat just like on the sofa in the above picture. I like the little caster feet.

"Enjoy the Process" Of: Discovering if you like Pleats!

Kathysue 


19 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

I LOVE the pleats and the peeking casters. I've got several of these pics in my inspiration files too! And I'm loving the idea of slips for my sitting room-anything washable is a winner in this house! Another great post-thanks!
xoxo Pattie

Jules said...

I love the look of pleats. Wide to the floor box pleats for me. BUT....my school uniform had pleats, both summer and winter, and if I never have to iron another pleat again it will be too soon!!!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Love, love, love pleats...especially when you let the legs show!. Fantastic images and examples!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love box pleats. I have a box pleated bed shirt and have had several before this one. I really love the slipcovers with some leg showing, way too cute. Great post. Hugs, Marty

Tammy@InStitches said...

All your pics are really pretty. I love pleats too. I just redid my BR panels from rod pocket to euro pleated. I used to make A LOT of gathered dust ruffles but lately they are all box pleated or just pleats at the ends and center.

Blondie's Journal said...

My sofa and chairs in the living room have pleats...I had to have that. Just something about the femininity of it.

Great pictures. Love all the rooms!

xoxo
Jane

René said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy said...

Okay I love pleats. The more the merrier. I like them more than gahtered ruffles and tend to turn ruffled areas on dresses I make for my daughter into pleats.
Anyway. I like box pleats the best but dont' say no to any pleat. I like them to leave a bit of the leg peeking out..
tammy

Lisa said...

I think this will be my favorite visit of the day- I LOVE pleats! Especially on slipcovered chairs and sofas! My plan is to add some to the hem of my l.r. curtains, but not too deep~maybe 5 inches is all~. Then the chair. Thanks for a great post!

lisa said...

Hi Kathysue:
Great question! I like both box & fan pleats...love the caster legs showing.

P.S. On a another note, I also read sometime ago that all green went together.

DesignTies said...

I hadn't given much thought to pleats on anything other than curtains till I read this post. After seeing all these pictures, I'm digging pleats on furniture too :-)

My favourite style out of all the ones you posted is the fan pleat with the exposed leg. It's fun and a bit flirty -- like a girl in a skirt who's showing just enough leg to catch a guy's eye, but not too much leg!!

Kelly @ DesignTies

Cashon&Co said...

ooooh....love them all, really. The tiny pleats are so flirty!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kathysue! Oh, dear....too many pleated skirts in junior high for me!! I think I only like them at the corners! lol Happy day...Debbie

Sue said...

I love pleats...I don't like it if I have to iron them.

Melissa Miller said...

Pleats are just so pretty Kathysue! Love all of these gorgeous photos of inspiration. ~Lovely!

Anonymous said...

I love pleats too and you've provided such beautiful inspiration here. Have a good day Kathysue!

Kat said...

Box pleats definitely, and I like the larger deep pocket. And I do like the legs peaking out (and much easier to keep clean with pets lol) I hope you are able to get those chairs Kathysue, they would be beautiful in your home. Hugs, Kat

Tricia said...

I do have a thing for pleats and actually just finished making some pleated skirts for my dining room chairs. There's nothing like pleated linen slips to me....love!

The Goods Design said...

LOVE the pleats! I'm doing a sofa with pleated trim for a clients' master bedroom -- I'll share it on my blog soon!

Love your blog!!!