home about me our home

Monday, February 15, 2010

Yipes! STRIPES!!!


Stripes are another pattern that I love.  I love their uniformity, the crispness in their lines, and the bold or even subtle contrast from one stripe to another. Stripes are comforting to me.  In a funny, way they make me feel as if all is well with my world.  Do you have patterns in your homes that make you feel that way?  If I see a room that has stripes in it, I stop and study that room.  Let's look at some rooms with striped patterns and see if you love them as much as I do.

If the stripe is in black and white I am over the moon, in love with it.  Notice the zebra patterned runner up the staircase.  It is an irregular stripe of sorts, interesting.

This room only has the stripe in the two darling side chairs, but that is what caught my eye.  Look at the great black cord-welting on the settees. Make sure you don't miss the floor lamps.  The black is peeking through the semi-sheer shade.  Very clever using a chandelier in black under that shade. (note to self, think of somewhere in home to use this idea.)

Bold and blue! This room makes me smile!

Sunset Magazine
I would love to be sipping Pellegrino with lemon in this garden.  Notice the fence painted black.  I like the coziness of this spot and then you add the stripes, Heaven!!

Simple but so much punch.  This is crisp and fresh to me.

What a fun room. I love all the mix of patterns in this room. Mixing patterns does not always have to look busy, this room is very soothing.

The Lettered Cottage reading nook.  Be sure and visit Layla's blog.  She and her hubby are doing some amazing projects on her blog.  She is a very lovely warm-hearted lady and full of fun and love for life.  Her post are always a fun read.



I know there is lots of pink going on here, but you have to admit it looks happy and makes you smile.  Just look at that flirty little pleated skirt on the striped chair, love that!!



Extra large stripes going on here. These are subtle in color, but bold in scale.  I like this concept.

Ticking stripes are one of my all time favorite patterns, especially in blue.

Fun with horizontal stripes.

I cannot imagine having the patience to paint all of these stripes, but it looks so handsome. 

Notice the very subtle stripe in this sophisticated nursery.

Black and white, be still my heart.

Striped rugs are all the rage right now.  Even when they are no longer a trend I will love them.

Just pretty!

Cheerful!

"Something's Gotta Give", living room.  This room has been featrued all over blog land.  Probably the best post was done by Joni Webb at Cote de Texas. She is the blogging queen in my book.


A bit too busy for my eye, but still interesting.

Fun and full of sunshine.

You realllllly have to like red and stripes to like this room.

A wonderful country room. The ticking stripe on the red chair is a nice touch.

Very subtle.  Don't you just want to climb in right now?

I know most of you have seen my dining room before.  I could not do a post on stripes without showing my favorite room in my house.

"Enjoy the Process" Of:  Adding some stripes to your decor.

Kathysue


21 comments:

Sue said...

I like the subtle stripes. Love the white with the blue striped pillows. If the colors are too powerful or cover too much of the room...it bothers my eyes. I feel the same about striped clothing...it tends to make my eyes hurt.

Sue

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love your dining room, because it is so soft and subtle. I like all patterns to be that way. Great pics of stripes and how to use them in decor. Hugs, Marty

paula said...

such a great post. I am addicted to stripes.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

The stripes in the first two pictures are amazing. I love how crisp black & white looks.

Low Tide High Style said...

I love all of the rooms with stripes. And your dining room is really lovely, so glad you included it among all of the other beautiful rooms!

Thank you for stopping by my blog.

Kat :)

Paula Bee said...

As always, I like your dining room the best of al! I like stripes too but I don't think I could live with horizontal stripes. Hugs, Paula

aneyefordetail said...

I'm new to your blog: love this post! Will return...

vignette design said...

Hi Kathysue,
This is a beautiful post! I too love stripes--any and all! I am currently considering reupholstering my living room chairs in a green/cream ticking. Your post sealed the deal. Just do it for crying out loud and stop thinking! Your dining room is lovely. I love the pedestals--another fave of mine. Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, I love stripes, too. Especially ticking. I have the blue and white and some red and white, too. You dining room is very pretty. Yes, the bed photo does beckon me to climb in...Kim

Atticmag said...

I very much enjoyed this post -- so many new photos and some old favorites. But stripes are such a wonderful staple! And thank you for stopping by. - Jane F

Kat said...

I really like this post Kathysue. Besides your dining room which you know I adore, the living room with the very large stripes is my favorite. I love everything about that room! The colors, the subtle stripes, the furniture - perfection! And my second favorite is the living room with the green and white striped sofas. Just call me Sybil... Kathy

La Dolfina said...

The room with the blue star on the wall is my favorite after your Dining Room!!!
I love your posts so much!!

Fifi Flowers said...

FAB collection of stripes!!!

Kifus said...

Stiping post Kathysue! Stripes are so elegant and your dining room is splendid!

Foley said...

Stripes can freshen up a room or make it bold and inviting. Love the ticking stripe with white anything..so crisp!
I fell in love with the horizontal stripes during an episode of Oprah one time...doesn't really look that difficult..just a little time consuming!
Great photos!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Kathysue, I love the sweet black and white side chairs, I can see those in my office. The bench is adorable. The stripe on stripe bathrooms would make me dizzy as a lune... don't need any more help in that department..lol.. fun post.
hugs ~lynne~

Tricia said...

I am typically not a print person but stripes I can handle. I love ticking too and your dining room is fabulous!

Be sure to check out today's post for a quick mention about your great new blog. :-)

Blue Creek Home said...

I love stripes too and these images are all gorgeous. I think that the blue ticking is my favorite!

Thanks for visiting!
Rhonda

Cindy said...

Great images! I really like your dining room, you do stripes extremely well. ~Cindy S~

Traci said...

ok - i want the lettered cottages reading nook. great space. i probably wouldn't want to leave it.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kathysue...I ADORE stripes, too! Been thinking of doing some on my stairway going up...either that or a damask paper. I love the pic of the ticking stripes! Do you know where you found the green and white pic...the one that you said was cheerful? Love that room!