home about me our home

Monday, October 18, 2010

Whose Personality Does Your Home Have?

Do you think your home reflects your personality?  We all know that it should but does it?   When you look at a room that you love can you describe it with adjectives?  Throughout blogland we all view beautiful rooms that we find appealing for different reasons and there are certain adjectives  that we use to describe these rooms. Below is a room that I love I will try to use three  adjectives to describe it.

First I have to say, I love everything about this bedroom. Here are the adjectives that I would use to describe it:
Fresh, inviting, elegant

Next I am going to show you a room which I love the paint color. This room was designed by Suzanne Kasler and the walls are a lovely butter cream.  Here are the adjectives that I would use to describe the dominant color in this room :
  Soothing, relaxing, elegant


Now don't fall out of your chair, No! I do not like this at all. The adjectives I would use to describe this are:
Busy, Cluttered, Confusing,

I bet you are wondering why am I telling you all of this and what does it mean to you. Now here comes the participation part. I would like each of you to go to your favorite room in your home and I want you to write down the three adjectives that describe it.

Next I want you to describe the dominant color in your house with three adjectives.
Are you writing all of this down? Good!

Lastly I would like you to go to the part of your house that you would least like people to see, Yikes!  I know this can be painful because you don't like this spot. ( Mine would be my garage for sure, that is a whole other show).  As painful as it may be, write down three adjectives that describe this area.

Here we go:
First, I asked you to write down three adjectives that describe your favorite room in your home.
 You just described your favorite things about yourself !

Second, I asked you to write down adjectives that describe the dominant colors in your home
You just described the personality of the person who chose that color!

Third I asked you to describe the area in your home you would least like people to see.
You have just described aspects of yourself that you are ashamed of and things you try to hide from others.

This is a little test that I have saved for six years that I found in an article in O At Home Fall 2004. I saved this test because frankly it made me think and it revealed something about myself in relation to my home.
So, after all this reading and writing did the adjectives that you used describe YOU and your home?
Something to think about isn't it?


"Enjoy the Process" of:
Discovering the personality of your home.
Kathysue


12 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great post. I think we all need to do this. It really does help us focus on what we like and if a space is really us. Hugs, Marty

La Dolfina said...

Now there's some food for thought!
Thanks for making me put on my thinking cap :)
It's always a good thing to pause and reflect.
Have a lovely day sweet friend,
xo
Terri

Bill said...

Hi Kathysue,
Intriguing post ... definitely thought-provoking. I agree with your 3-word assessment of the third room. Unfortunate, because it contains so many beautiful pieces. With a little editing (OK, a lot of editing), I think it could be very special.

Regards,
Bill

Sue said...

This was fun...and I think the first two were pretty well on target. My least favorite room...in the basement, a bedroom that never was used for one. It became a catch all for unused furniture and things, so it is cluttered, ugly and lacking style. I hope that's not me!

Kathysue said...

Sue that basement is not YOU it is a part of you that you like to hide and not let others see. Trust me wait until you see tomorrows post when I reveal ME! Thank you for stopping by!Kathysue

Sue said...

I can't wait!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

I will be here tomorrow!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

That's what so fun about blogging, Kathysue! People can visit the very clean parts of my house and I can hide the rest! lol Plus, I don't even have to cook! Hope you are having a great evening...hugss...Debbie

xinex said...

I like the first 2 pictures too, KathySue and the third one was really cluttered. I love stuff but I hate clutter that is why I wouldn't want people to see our garage, at least right now when all my Christmas boxes are still there. I am still waiting for our maintenance guy to help me put them in the attic....Christine

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh KS, you do make us stop and think! laurie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah said...

Another good post for making us all think. Thanks, Kathysue.