home about me our home

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Baby It's Cold Outside and I Need Some SUNSHINE

I don't know about you but I need a little sunshine and I live in California .We have had overcast,damp and chilly(ok 50degrees but that feels chilly to me) weather for the last week. I know throughout the country everyone has been hit with a big dose of WINTER.I thought it would be fun to look at some rooms with a bit of sunshine, better known as YELLOW.I am going to show you rooms with a lot of sunshine and some with just touches . The yellow in most of these pictures is very clear and bright. The criteria I used was it had to make me smile and think of sunshine so lets start our tour

Now doesn't this just bring a smile to your face, love the pleated bottom on the sofa. Great use of wall paper by framing it with moulding.


Love this room!Notice how they made the chairs look more current with the bright pop of yellow and then added the cow skin rug for a great touch of texture .Making the walls the soft blue gives this room some nice contrast.


This room is just handsome to me with its charcoal and black color pallette. The pop of yellow makes it more interesting and not too serious, love this.


This office is amazing it only has the pop of yellow in the flowers in the vase but to me that is what took the room to a whole other level,notice the little touch of blue in the bolster pillow and the color of the vase is seen again in the small bowl on the desk. Great Room!!


A simple bath virtually void of color and then they put those two clear bottles with a touch of yellow ,now the room is interesting.


Now the yellow we are seeing is a little more buttery,personally this is my favorite kind of yellow. What can I say about this kitchen other than Yum!


Another golden buttery yellow.Clever use of tile with the stripes and can you see the little touch yellow on the shelves,it looks like a yummy stack of towels ( I love stacked towels)


Another great kitchen, the yellow here is buttery gold and you can see it in the barstools and the chair and just a touch in the flowers, this is yellow in its subtle form


Another yummy buttery gold in the form of yellow.Just a touch in the gord lamp,I am not sure but it looks like a Spitzmiller lamp to me and notice the touch of gold on the console,even the floors give off  a touch of yellow undertone.


Be still my heart, what a gorgeous display of  what looks like French pottery with an ochre glaze,what a gorgeous collection this homeowner has. They continued adding touches of yellow with a bowl of lemons on the amazing island and in the bowl of fruit on the counter.You see you can get sunshine out of a bowl of lemons on your counter. What is the saying about getting a bowlful of lemons and making lemonade?


Last but not least is a picture of Oprah's dining room in her home in Hawaii, now this really makes me smile with its pop of bright pink flowers.

So you see ,if you need a little bit of sunshine add a pop of yellow.You don't have to change your entire room. Just add a bouquet of flowers or a bowl of lemons a bright yellow candle. Simple things yet it can bring some sunshine in your life.

"Enjoy the process" of bringing Sunshine in your life through the use of Yellow
Kathysue

19 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Kathysue, you always find the most wonderful pictures. I just don't know how you do it. You know that I love yellow and buttery yellow gold tones. These are all wonderful. I would love to have either one of those fabulous kitchens. Hope you are having a great day. It is chilly here (43) this morning. Hugs, Marty

Blondie's Journal said...

Touches of yellow is really what made these room shine and not become overbearing. I don't like to get 'locked into' a color, so the subtle (and not so subtle) splashes of yellow are fabulous.

I personally love the kitchen with the ochre colored pottery. Love pottery!

xoxo
Jane

Lori said...

Hi, I'm stopping over from Kt's place "emptynester". Welcometo blogland! I love the pop of yellow in the pictures.

Lori said...

I meant Kat... Not kt's.. I hate it when I do that and notice after I hit return..

Foley said...

Great photos - I could very easily get used to Oprahs dining room! I am one for the buttery yellows to gold, but always love a bowl of lemons!!

La Dolfina said...

Love the 2nd photo with the cow skin rug and how it incorporates several other luscious colors along with the vibrant pops of acid yellow!
Thanks for turning a day full of lemons (weather wise) into a lovely glass of lemonaide!
XO
Terri

La Dolfina said...

Whoops...I mean lemonade!

Jeanette said...

When I was driving to work today the thermostat on my car read "0". I don't think I have ever seen that before! I need some sunshine and you showed all of us how to do it. The photographs are beautifu. I love the buttery ochre colors of yellow more than the bright yellow shades in my home. Except for the forsythia which are the first things to bloom here in the spring. I always bring big branches of them inside to use on the island in the kitchen. That is the only time I use that color in my home and I love it. It just spells spring coming right around the corner.

Londen said...

Its 13 degrees today in Chicago so baby I know all about cold! I just found your blog,LOVE IT.
I will be checking in often.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Hi Kathysue, I found your blog through Confessions of a Plate Addict blog. So glad to find this. It has been very cold here for a couple of weeks now. I looked through all your posts so far and just love it. Will be looking forward to more and to learn more.

Kim from rms and micasa style

Kathysue said...

Hi Kim, of course I remember you, It is so nice to be able to hear from you. Thank you for coming over to visit my blog look forward to doing more post and hearing from you,Kathysue

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I have really enjoyed your burst of sunshine photos. I agree, there is nothing like a touch of yellow or golden tones to warm up a room.

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

Hi Kathysue. Welcome to Blogland! It looks like you are off to a wonderful start here. I saw Debbie's post (Confessions of a Plate Addict) and was excited to pop over to visit your blog. I was known as "susiehomemaker" on RMS and always loved your home, especially your pretty green kitchen!

I think all of the US is experiencing unusually cold temps. I'm on the west coast of central Florida and a couple days ago I posted several photos of ice in a neighboring strawberry field and orange grove. We've even got icicles falling out of trees! Unreal.

If you ever have time, pop by and say hello. :)

xinex said...

I sure can use some sunshine today, KathySue. I am in Fl and there is no sunshine here....Christine

Velvet and Linen said...

Wow. I never knew I liked yellow! Those kitchens are beautiful (all of them!). Your blog is beautiful Kathysue. You are a wonderful addition to the bloggy community!

xo
Brooke

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kathysue! I love the yellow...and you know I do with my yellow rooms! It is so warm and sunny! I love ALL of the rooms that you showed us! I hope you are having a great day!...hugs...Debbie

Kat said...

Kathysue, I love these rooms with all the beautiful yellows. That last kitchen with the shelves of pottery is droolworthy! I'm considering using a similar palette when we (if we ever) redo the master bedroom. I just love the white and yellow together. Hugs, Kat

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

OOOO, what beautiful rooms, but those two kitchens had me drooling! laurie

lvroftiques said...

Kathysue I am so with ya girlfriend. It's been cold and dreary up here in Wash. Those pix really shot me a ray of warmth! That first kitchen had me drooling on my puter! And the kitchen with the ochre pottery.....dreamy!! Vanna