home about me our home

Thursday, January 12, 2017

New Year, New Plans for Our New Home!




Living in a brand new home is great, and I love living in our new community, but I also have to put our  personal stamp on our new home.

With the new year we have a couple of projects lined up. One is our kitchen back splash for our kitchen. We knew when we bought the house that we would be changing this sooner than later. 

Our kitchen is all white and I do mean ALL white, and I love it. It is a perfect backdrop for any color or pattern additions I need to make along the way.

Our home is a very open floor plan, and each room reads as one so everything has to be chosen carefully to have a nice visual flow.



I know my kitchen is more white than most people could live with, but for us it is perfect. I went back and forth on what I would choose to go with our counter tops.

 At one point I thought a nice carrara marble subway tile would be nice. So I lived with that idea in my head for awhile....

As beautiful as it is and it definitely goes with the look and feel of our home, it started getting too busy in my minds eye. Each tile would be a different pattern and over time I would tire of this. Remember I am a less is more kind of gal.

So after a lot of thinking and visualizing I made the final decision, and we are going to use the same handmade tile from Sonoma tile that we used in our previous home...


I know it is simple and plain, but because it is custom handmade and hand glazed tile the tile itself has a depth and almost iridescence to it when you see it in person. Because it is custom made it will take 6-8 weeks so I have to be patient, but I know it is worth the wait since I did it once before.

We are both very excited for this next step in our sweet little cottage. I will keep you posted on the progress once we get the tile here.

The other project we are getting estimates for is our entry hall. It is a very small area that needs to say more than it is saying right now.

 It just does not have any personality. I have two plans in my head and it will depend on cost factor and the logistics of the design. I will know more once I talk to a molding guy.

Right now the plan is to do a panel treatment from floor to ceiling. Similar to the pictures below....

 We have 10 ft ceilings so I am going to break up the vertical lines with a stile going horizontally about a couple of feet below the crown molding.

This does not have the inset molding along the stiles like the other picture. I like the bead molding, it makes it a bit more formal without being completely formal. Our home has touches of elegance, but it is also casual in my minds eye.




I have ordered samples of cobalt blue grasscloth for the ceiling that will make a nice  introduction to the color scheme that is about to unfold as you continue entering into our home.


I have 4 different samples coming so I can see which blue will work the best for the ceiling.




The light fixture I have chosen will be a nice sharp contrast against the cobalt blue texture of the wallpaper....

 (Robert Abbey Axis fixture)

There will be two of these, one in the actual entry and then a little further down the hall there will be another one. You can see in the picture below how the Moravian stars looked at Christmas and with only one star the picture would not have been complete.


There will be a crown molding framing the cobalt blue grasscloth and one more addition. I am going to add a small trim piece painted black next to the crown. Similar to the pictures below....

Picture this with a cobalt ceiling!


This black trim piece is closer in scale to what I have in mind. I love a sharp black framed look. In fact my ship blue print art piece is framed in white with a black mat around the inside edge framing the cobalt blue print....






I am really excited about this one little feature, I think it will give me the look I am going for and tie in nicely with the rest of our home.

Once all the molding, wallpaper and lighting are done, then I will decide if I need a new entry hall table. I have a few in mind already. More on that later.

As always, Enjoying the Process!!






 
 

5 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

This will be stunning. Can't wait to see all the molding and trim.

June from Oregon said...

Kathysue,

I've followed you for some time--from your former home to your new home. You have a talent for decorating and making a home look and feel welcoming. Thank you for all the info you provide. I'm going to copy your entryway molding! Terrific idea to use blue grass cloth on the ceiling. And those starburst light fixtures--I adore them. They look HAPPY!!!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love your plan for the entry! The blue on the ceiling will be stunning! Looking forward to your 2017 projects.

michele said...

sounds like a gorgeous plan, and what a ceiling that will be! xox

La Vie Quotidienne said...

sounds lovely.