home about me our home

Monday, July 18, 2016

Bringing Lovely Back to Our Homes

 


With all the high speed technology in the world today I think we often forget about the gentleness we all need in life.

The simple yet lovely elements that make us feel content inside. These are never costly items, just simple little touches that any of us can do.

Having a lovely home is more than a home that is well designed. A lovely home is a feast for all the senses.

I think we often forget the little things we can do to bring back the LOVELY to our homes.

Today I thought I would share some of the things I try to do in my own home to make it lovely not only for my guest, but for me!

These are simple ideas that cost very little, or in many cases cost nothing, like this first idea……….

BRINGING IN NATURE


My bottle is empty as well.:


Go out in your back yard and cut some greenery, or a single blossom and put it on your desk or guest bathroom sink, or on your dining table tonight for dinner.



When executed correctly, choosing something like olive branches can make an amazing impact. | 9 Ways to Save on Flowers  http://www.nowkissthebride.com/9-ways-to-save-on-flowers/:

Add a little sparkle to your water with sequins. Just think about how this would glimmer next to a flickering flame of a votive candle.

 ferns, recycled glass bottles:
 via


Even a sprig of fern can look lovely in a simple glass bottle.

greenery:



Often we tend to think we have to have company to do these special little touches. 

THE SOUND OF MUSIC

I think it is important to do add loveliness to our homes on a daily basis.

 music:

Every morning I wake up and open my blinds and turn on my stereo. I always have soft ambient music playing in the background.

 music:
You would be surprised at how it can lift your spirits, just to have the soft sound of beautiful music playing. Another no cost way to add a special feel to your home.

AMBIENT LIGHTING  
LIGHTING
candles:

Candles are always an extra added bonus in a room. Whether they add a scent or just the beautiful light that glimmers in a room.

 CANDLES:
Often times we think it has to be dark, or a candlelight dinner to have a candle lit. I light my candles even during the day. I have one on my desk that I love to light when I first wake up in the mornings.

 PRETTY REFRESHMENTS
Throughout the day we will all be drinking, coffee, tea or just plain water. Why not make it a little more special by drinking out of a special cup or glass, adding lemon, or ice cubes with fruit in them. Simple and very little cost to do this.

Lemon Water, or with lime. Anyway to get my 8 glasses of water a day:
 Add lemon slices to your water, and make it a little more special not only in taste, but visually.


 Fill glass with pink cotton candy and slowly pour Lime Perrier over it. Pretty and non-alcoholic! Perfect for friends who don't drink (or are preggers), so they don't feel left out from all the fancy party cocktails! My kids would LOVE this and think it was really cool! Maybe for New Year's Eve or some other special event/party.:  

FRESH AIR AND LIGHT 
 If the weather allows, open up those windows and let fresh air flow through your home….

 Open windows:

 FRESH SHEETS

Fresh sheets on the bed sprayed with your favorite linen spray or fragrance.

Sometimes I just spray my fragrance on my pillow case because it is such a pleasure to lay my head down at night.
You already have the perfume, why not use it. Just think about how your spouse will be surprised when they lay their head down at bedtime….

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5i95sHJdH1rrhhm1o1_500.jpg


Another thing I do is to take a dryer sheet and rub it on the edge of the sheet that I fold over and on my pillow case.

Don’t forget you can also change your pillow case every night if you love the freshness of just laundered bedding.  You don't have to wait until you change all the sheets.
All of these things are no cost, yet they add loveliness to your day!

FRESH PRODUCE
If you have fresh fruit and/or veggies in your refrigerator bring them out, and put them in a colorful bowl for a pop of color on your counter.

 fresh produce summer goodness, just as pretty as flowers:
These are things you already have so why not utilize them in a lovely manner.

 produce on kitchen counters can be just as pretty as fresh flowers,  Goodlifeofdesign.blogspot.com:


None of the above ideas are costly and they are so simple to do in your own home today!!


 ASSIGNMENT FOR TONIGHT
Tonight when you have dinner, light a candle, put a little vase of greenery next to it. Pull out your cloth napkins instead of paper. Use a tablecloth! Have music playing in the background, and have a LOVELY dinner!!

 
 

11 comments:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

These are such great tips, Kathysue! I actually implement most of these; but, never thought about the dryer sheet tip. I will try that one this week. Thanks for sharing!

Kathysue said...

Thank you Shenita, so glad you enjoyed this post. It is a post that even I need once in awhile. Good reminder for me too!

michele said...

what a beautiful post full of wisdom and romance. i totally am on board. the romance hardly ever just happens, yet we can inject it easily and simply. i have no idea where my cloth napkins are but the music and candlelight i can do. xox

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I so try to live by what you have just said here...a simple flower by the sink where you are often there during the day can put a smile on your face and make any chore seem less attractive. The wonderful scents of candles are always a great thing for soothing the soul. The simple spa like touches in the home truly makes a difference.....Great post Kathysue!! Have a great week!

Lady of the Manor said...

Thanks for these simple yet elegant tips to enjoy our homes.

Mumbai said...

it's the life little pleasure and very important

scentimentalNotes said...

i am here in atlanta at the gift show and my fav find is the flickering battery candle with a twist; in chandelier bulb form. for use in any lighting fixture that takes chandy bulbs. talk about ambient light, just amazing!
xx
debra
5th and state....not the name that shows up here (grrrr)

cindy hattersley design said...

Loved this post! So many great ideas!!

Barbara said...

Great inspiration. What is the name of the product you mentioned in an earlier post. I would like to try the conditioner for my hair.

Thank you

Barb

Calypso In The Country said...

Great post! Such simple ideas that can really make a difference!
Shelley

Woodside Park said...

Hi Kathysue,
Love these ideas - easy and doable, which is what I want during these hot, lazy days of summer. We have plenty of native ferns in Maine and in our garden. I love clipping them to enjoy inside.
Cheers,
L