home about me our home

Sunday, May 29, 2016

BACKYARD UPDATE:Outdoor Cushions & Curtains

    
This weekend has officially opened the Summer season in our new backyard!! So excited to be able to use it for relaxing and entertaining.

As with all projects in, or around our homes we are always in process. It just goes along with our creative spirits. Can I get a cheer for we creative types!?



We have slowly been bringing out our furniture to the backyard. We actually have 3 sitting areas, the back brick patio, the back rectangle patio, and the side patio.

This year we are going to use what we have, but trust me we have plans for next year to make a few purchases of some chairs.

Right now we have white wicker with cobalt cushions trimmed in white on the back of the house. We also have our original kitchen set that is almost 47 years old on the brick patio. I really love it out there it gives me the look of  Charleston courtyard when I see it on the brick.

You can see I have it accented with black and white stripes. Both the cobalt and the stripes are also found inside our great room which looks out to the backyard, so there is a nice flow.

Now lets talk about the side patio where I had to make some decisions.....




You can see that we have two white wicker chairs that have striped cushions. These chairs can be pulled around the corner when we have guest for extra seating. 

We chose to put our little black wrought iron bistro set here because we can enjoy our breakfast out here in the mornings. These cute little chairs needed cushions to make them comfy.

It felt like a fairly easy decision, however there were some elements to consider. 

Important To Remember:
I never just look at one element when making a decision for my home. It is important to look at the long term & bigger picture.

Let's take a look at all the elements and my long term plans for this area.....

See this cute little chair? I have two of them that we plan on using on the side patio. They need a good coat of white paint, but notice the cushion, black with white trim!

Next is another one of my future plans that I need to consider.....

You will notice two elements on our last porch that I plan on using on our new side patio. The outdoor striped curtain and the mirror.

See I told you!! There are lots of elements to consider before plunging in and making a quick decision JUST based on the bistro set. I have to consider how it will all flow together.

Here is a close up of the bistro set. We purchased this several years ago at a garage sale. It came from the Boudin  bakery where they make wonderful French bread. It is very heavy since it is wrought iron. We got a great deal of only $50.



Now back to the cushions....

Since the little white chairs have black cushions with white trim I could use that, but then again, that would be WAY TOO MUCH black!!

I am using black and white awning striped curtains eventually, and that would make a nice compliment to this area that has all black and white.

Around the corner on the back patios I have the cobalt with accents of the black and white stripes so it all ties in together nicely.


In this picture you will notice a column at the end of the side patio. I would like to hang a striped curtain on each side of that column, tied back like I had on my previous home's porch.


I am going to wait until next year because we also have plans on adding an over hang on the back patio, and at this point I am not sure how that will tie into the side patio so it is best to wait before ordering the curtains. However, I have to keep them in mind when planning any changes.

I made my decision on the cushions, and they will be Sunbrella black and white awning stripe boxed round cushion with black trim top and bottom.

Here is the link if you need any cushions for your outdoor furniture. This company is so easy to work with and they have made all of my outdoor cushions in the past, and I am a repeat customer...


In the past I found it hard to find the black and white awning stripe for curtains, the white was always sand, not white, however pottery barn does carry them now. 

I found a company that has the same product made in Sunbrella fabric for quite a bit less. I have not used this company before so I can not vouch for their quality, but when it is time for me to purchase mine, I will be trying this company.


The cushions have been ordered, and I should have them in about three weeks!!

If you need me chances are I will be out in our new backyard relaxing, and enjoying the sound of our fountain!






 
 

8 comments:

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Wow I just love staring at your pictures and admiring all that's been done here. Your ideas all sound great. The striped fabric will continue to tie things together and keep that New England vibe going that you wanted for your gardens. I see your water feature and espalier trees and I like that planter with the potted plants. Such an enjoyable outdoor space you've had created!

Victoria said...

Your finished backyard looks beautiful, thanks to all the careful planning you do. It looks like a delightful environment in which to enjoy relaxing, reading or having an intimate breakfast conversation with your beloved husband. You are truly blessed, my dear. XO, Victoria

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Your patio is evolving into a gorgeous oasis. Your plans and designs are so well thought out that they always bring such beautiful results. May you have many, many wonderful times in your new patio and gardens!

michele said...

it is looking fanatastic, kathysue! i am shocked at how established it already appears, and this is very encouraging to your fellow fixer upper friend. nothing at all has been done outside here yet, so i appreciate you walking us through the process. i can totally picture the black and white curtains out there and how that is going to transform and cozy up and chic-ify the patio. it already has a european feel to me, and billowy fabrics and curtains are sure to heighten that factor. the brick is so tastefully done and again, i just love that it doesn't have that new, bare bones feel. bravo!

designchic said...

What a wonderful place to enjoy the outdoors, Kathysue! I just love the brick work and I think I would eat every meal at your adorable table and chairs!

debra @ 5th and state said...

beautiful kathy sue!!!
enjoy
xx
debra

Becca Bertotti said...

I've loved following the progress of your beautiful backyard! It's absolutely gorgeous ... you guys didn't leave out one detail. The colors are fabulous ... the lighting is full of ambiance ... and your flowers and plants look as though they've been enjoying their new home! The fountain is awesome, too! I know you'll enjoy many Summer evenings out there!

Woodside Park said...

Kathysue,
Your seating groups look terrific! I love having multiple seating groups - so versatile and gracious. Great colors, too. Classic yet stylish.
Cheers,
L