home about me our home

Thursday, April 21, 2016

NEW HOUSE UPDATE!

    

 BACKYARD PROGRESS
Brick, Brick & More
BRICK!!!

Last I left you we had the patio poured and the forms all done.



They have done so much work and we are well on our way!! The plan is to use used brick around the lawn on the mow strip and the entire circular patio will be used brick in a herringbone pattern.

You can see the brick is in position and they will perfect the over all patterns before they ever permanently mortar them down. With each step we are asked if we like it or want to change anything. Our contractor is amazing, he is a man of solutions not a man of excuses or problems.  So far his workers have been amazing.

So far we have had to use 3 pallets of used brick and we have another 1/2 pallet coming today to finish it all off. I originally told our contractor that new used brick would be fine because I knew real used brick is hard to come by.

Well, to my delight we got the real deal! This is used brick that was taken from Stanford University.

The image in the right corner is the pile of bricks from Stanford. They have so much character and patina. There are some that have white paint, green paint and even burgundy paint which is Stanford's school colors. Just an extra added feature for our new yard that excites me.

( this little pocket garden on the side will have a fountain, you will see it at the end of this post)
Our walkway and extension of our side covered patio area.

Our brick mason hard at work, we are half way there!! Loving every single brick as it goes down. 
(images taken through screened window)

2/3's the way there. It is really coming to life now!

Waiting for more brick to do final finessing before completing the grouting process. You will notice cinder block on the back side of the circular patio, that is going to be a brick bench seat.

It is all so interesting to watch the whole process and with each element that is added I can see the vision of my completed yard.

I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!....

....We get to go Monday to pick out all the plants, boulders, and gravel that will be the finishing touches. 

I have been waiting for this day to come. I love choosing plant material and I have a real love of rocks! ( I am strange like that, yes I am!)

Yesterday we ordered one of the two fountains we plan for the yard. This little beauty will be going in the pocket garden off of our side covered patio. Hopefully it will be backed with an espalier vine and ferns surrounding the base.




I sure am , 
"Enjoying The Process!"
 
 

17 comments:

Mary said...

Looking good! How exciting you got the reclaimed brick.

Stacey said...

Oh my gosh, Kathysue. The brick is awesome! Love the design.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

this is such a fun project and it really looks nice. Something you are going to enjoy for a very long time.

michele said...

wow! when you hire people to do it, it actually gets done and done quickly...wish i could say the same! it's so exciting to see the backyard take shape, and it is going to be a masterpiece when you're done. i love the round patio, and that is one thing that came with our run down place here, and i refused to let my relatives tear it out. best to you as you dig in the dirt, friend.

La Dolfina said...

Wow, everything looks fantastic and I adore your brick from Stanford. that is the coolest!!!!
Your excitement is palpable!!!!
I'm enjoying the process too!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

I'm so impressed and happy for you Kathysue! This is how a good project should go! Love the herringbone design in the circular area. Your careful planning and thought process is going to payoff with much happiness for years and years. Love that you got the reclaimed brick too. I never knew until many years later that the brick in my mom and dad's family room was all reclaimed brick. In your case it has even more special meaning knowing where it came from. Monday is going to be a fun day for you!

Lady of the Manor said...

Your backyard is really coming along! I really like the brickwork! And how special it's not only the used brick you wanted but you know here it came from! Can't wait to see what's next. Have a great weekend.

debra @ 5th and state said...

i have called myself a brick whore, i gather up old brick wherever i find it......this is stunning kathysue!
debra

Donnamae said...

This is exciting! Looking really good! ;)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

How great that your patio will have some historical value to it too in addition to it being very beautiful!!!
Have a great weekend!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Wow! The historical bricks are elegant and beautiful. Love the arrangement. You'll have so much fun with this area.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Already so lovely looking. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

It is going to be amazing. What a detailed design you have, but what else would one expect from such a detailed person. Right? I can't wait to see the finished product.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

What a showstopper! You are doing great things.

June from Oregon said...

Stanford University???!!!! What a story!!! Also, what a HUGE compliment you paid your contractor: "Our contractor is amazing, he is a man of solutions not a man of excuses or problems. So far his workers have been amazing." No high3r praise could be given. THAT'S the kind of contractor we all want to work with! Glad you have him and his people on this project.

Julia Stewart said...

That's really starting to look great. We had a pretty small backyard in our last home and I really struggled to decided what to do with it. We ended up paving most of it so that we could have people over and not have to worry about the grass. To make up for the lack of plants, I added pots.

Julia Stewart @ Daytona Buyers Agent

Margaret said...

The day that we moved into our new house I was simply floored when neighbors began showing up with food and gifts to welcome us to the circle. I was never even close to people at my apartment complex for years, yet in a few hours of unpacking we had friendly families show up and welcome us to the neighborhood. I can get used to this.

Margaret @ Boston North Shore Real Estate