home about me our home

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Small Entries Have A Lot To Say!!



Your entry is the porthole to what is about to come!
  
Chances are you want it to be a welcoming sight as soon as your guest enter. It is important to keep in mind what you want it to say. 

Your entry is your, “Opening Statement!”

Lovely entry- The grey walls give a great contrast to the white niche & show up the lovely sideboard so well. Love the light fitting

You might want to introduce the style, and feel of your home, or maybe you want to introduce one of the main colors you will be using in your home. 

Entries are the perfect place to make both of these statements.


Molly Frey Design | Beach Style Front Entry | Dark Flooring White Paneled Walls | Statement entry table made with large corbels as legs and rattan basket for storage accented with round mirror.

For such a small area it really has a big impact on your home!

Try to keep that in mind when you make decisions on what to place in your small area, actually whether it is a big, or small entry it will have a big impact on your guest.

We all have walls, flooring, doors, and ceilings in our entry so when you think about it you have quite a canvas to do something beautiful.


blue and white chinoiserie wallpaper in foyer
I realized once I started writing this post that it was a subject that will take more than one post. 

Seems odd since we are talking about such a small area. However, keep in mind what I stated above…….

“Your entry introduces your
 guest to what they are about
to see, feel, and experience in your home!”

When I put it that way it really does make you stop and think about it’s importance doesn’t it?

Today I want to talk about walls in your entry hall.


image_thumb[60]
How does one make a wall look welcoming, stylish and somewhat important?

  • Wallpaper
  • Molding/wainscoting
  • Lighting
  • Mirrors
  • Artwork

The first element I mentioned is wallpaper. Now I know there are many of you who will not have wallpaper in your home, however if you are willing to open up a bit you can achieve a wonderful look for your entry.

JWS Interiors - entrances/foyers - trellis wallpaper, moroccan trellis wallpaper, moorish tile wallpaper, black and white wallpaper, black a...
You can’t get much smaller than this, and yet it is definitely creating a nice welcome for your guest.

Notice how the wallpaper is making it more important and welcoming. It sets the mood for a fresh and stylish entry.


Great wallpaper for a small space. The green is all that! LOL!
This entry has addressed not only the walls, but also the flooring, and an introduction to color, to make a wonderful opening statement.


Wallpaper!

This is one of my favorite wallpaper patterns. I love the openness of it. It is what I like to call a see through pattern, almost like a paned window looking beyond to the view outside. 

This type of pattern will open up a small space visually. They have a wonderful floor pattern, wallpaper, great lighting, and reflective surfaces= a great welcome for your guest.


Hallie Henley Design GRASS CLOTH WALLS, PATTERNED WALLPAPER CEILING BRIGHT COBALT CONSOLE TABLE

There are so many choices when it comes to wallpaper so if you are choosing one for your small area, don’t be afraid of going with a larger pattern. 

Remember you want to make a statement. The first thing you need to decide is what kind of statement you want to create.

Write down what you want your walls to say to your guest. Here is what I wrote for my own personal entry hall to better give you an idea of what I am talking about.

“You are about to enter the place we love, and call home, as you enter I hope you know your are welcomed here. We hope we have made you just a bit curious about how the rest of our home will look by our choices in colors, wall treatments, and the other elements we chose to greet you.  We love beautiful things, but nothing is too precious in our home that it will ever be more important than YOU.  We hope your feel at peace, and relaxed while you visit here.”

As I read this back to myself I realize I have a very tall order to fill, but not one that is impossible to achieve as long as I spend the time to look into every single detail to make sure it is all cohesive.

.Upholstered entry wall with nailhead trim, stunning

Remember start with an overall plan so if you have to make adjustments you will be able to do freely without hesitation because you know the overall look and feel you want your entry to have when you are done with it.


Love everything about this.

There is one last thing I would like you to do…..

…now that you have read this post I would like you to go back and look at each image I have posted, and think about what that particular entry is telling you about the home you are about to enter.

Are any of the above entries more appealing to you than others? Lots to think about, but all very important details when you are making the opening statement to your home.

In my next post I am going to address my very own entry hall in my new home. We will explore some wall paper ideas together to see what just might work as my opening statement.


to-be-continued
   
 
 

5 comments:

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I'm thinking that wallpaper in your entry is in your future…perhaps?

Mary said...

If wallpaper is not an option, you could always do a stencil.

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

There are some great choices out there..cant wait to see what your going to do!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Lots of great inspiration here!

Toy Carli said...

I love everything about the first one.