home about me our home

Thursday, January 22, 2015

How Long Does It Actually Take?

 










I am a great procrastinator. I know, shameful.  I have read that we perfectionists are also very good at procrastination because we don't want to start anything until we have everything else perfect, or at least have all the perfect tools to do the job.  Sound familiar? 
 
I started thinking of the little household tasks that I put off everyday.  How long do these everyday chores actually take?


Here are a few of the task that I do daily that I am going to time just to see how long they actually take. 
I am doing this in hopes of making me realize it is much easier to just get to it rather than to keep procrastinating.......


MAKE THE BED

UNLOAD DISHWASHER, LOAD IT; WIPE DOWN KITCHEN COUNTERS AND SINK
 


    USE SWIFFER ON The Hardwood  Floors
    WIPE DOWN SHOWER WALLS


     GIVE BATHROOM A ONCE OVER LIGHTLY
    (No, I do not dress like this for cleaning!)



    PICK-UP DEBRIS AND STRAIGHTEN PILLOWS ON SOFA
    (fell asleep while watching tv last night)



    QUICK VACUUM OF MAIN TRAFFIC AREAS
    I like seeing things in black and white, and this little list will help me keep a small part of my life that can sometimes overwhelm me in perspective.
    What would be on your list and how long does it actually take you to do those task?
    TRY TO:
     "Enjoy the Process"
     Of the Mundane task of the day.

      BTW: Remember it is easier to "Keep-Up", than to "Catch-Up." Sometimes Okay is good enough!

 
 

6 comments:

Sue said...

This is so me too. I have timed myself a few times and it is amazing how little time these tasks take. So why do I put them off. Another thing I put off is making phone calls. In fact I have 6 to make today and I have managed to get to 2:00 w/o making one of them. I guess I'd better get on the phone:-)

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Similar to my theory
"Preventive Cleaning"!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I am one of those rare people that really enjoy cleaning my house...I also love to weed, so I guess that makes me officially a little wacky. LOL

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

That's a good point to make...how long does it really take! Sometimes I say to myself after I do one of those repetitive tasks....well it's done for another 24 hrs. which means it didn't linger all that time. I'm no perfectionist but I do try to keep things up. When it gets ahead of me I feel miserable. My mother was neat and we were made to be that way so it's engrained in me. Honestly I think we put most of it off just because it's so repetitive.

Stacy CUrran said...

I put off hanging my clothes up, and just throw them on the closet floor. I'm SO mad at myself every Sunday when they have piled up into a monster heap...if I just spend ONE minute doing it every day!!!

Merlin said...

I despise vacuuming...grrr...I even have a "built in" vacuum...it hates me. franki