home about me our home

Thursday, November 21, 2013

How Do You TOP Your CHRISTMAS TREE?

 


I have found there are three different camps when it comes to tree toppers……..

THE SIMPLE

THE PERSONAL MEMORIES

THE ELABORATE/OVER-THE-TOP

Shall we take a look at an example of each so you can see which category you fall under, or maybe you have your very own personal category that I have not mentioned.

THE SIMPLE

 VIA

THE PERSONAL MEMORY


Vintage Lighted Star Tree Topper
Remember the silver tinsel covered stars?

OR

Vintage Angel Tree Topper or Wall Hanging Nice Condition Free Ship

THE ELABORATE/OVER-THE-TOP

tree topper idea from http://kristenscreationsonline.blogspot.com/

Now that you have see all three options I thought it would be fun to explore some different options for tree toppers just in case some of you need a little inspiration…..

Pine Cone Christmas Tree Topper
Perfect for those doing a woodland or rustic Christmas tree.


How to make a cozy Christmas tree topper. #diy #Christmas #holidaydecorating #topper #crafts
This would be wonderful if you are doing a Snowy theme or a Nordic Christmas. A cozy sweater knit covered star. I just noticed they hung it upside down, but to each their own!


Vintage Christmas Tree Toppers.  After searching for these for years, I was able to purchase 2 of these at Penneys this year.
These are the kind of tree toppers I grew up with. You can still find the vintage toppers at antique stores. 


Burlap Christmas Tree Topper -  Burlap Tree Topper, Burlap Bow Tree Decor, Burlap Topper, Burlap Decor, Bow Tree Topper, Burlap Bow
So many people in blogland seem to love burlap so this one is for them!


Even though I don't like white trees, this would look so cute as a classroom tree. Such a creative Christmas tree idea!  (love topper - unique to sell white tree)
I just had to share this one!!


hearthroomAAA6
I remember the very first time I saw a top-hat on a tree over on Pat’s blog, Back Porch Musings!
 
The entire tree was done so appropriately for this unique tree topper. For those of you that are not familiar with Pat’s blog, I highly recommend you start following her. 

She always does just the right amount of embellishing in her Holiday décor. A real treat not to be missed.

What You Should Never Hang on Your Christmas Tree
Karianne over on Thistlewood Farm blog, did not put her tree topper on the tree, but hung it ever so gently hovering above the tree.

After all a snowflake falls down from the sky!


Can mimick this look with the brown paper-covered letters from Hobby Lobbby...and just spray adhesive and sprinkle copper and gold mixed glitter. I would add picks though...lc agrees ....it needs something...some blendng....but then the tree is very simple also.  Lots of possibilites
I am a big fan of initials/monograms so this one is quite appealing to me.


Starburst tree topper out of pipe cleaners. Lots of cheap ideas for a beautiful tree
Clever use of pipe cleaners, and I love how it sparkles, Just another take on the star tree topper.


Great idea, I can easily make this! Bird's Nest Tree Topper #westelm
Being a bird lover this tree topper is just so sweet to me. I might add a bit of snowy sparkles just to make it show up more on my tree.


Like the idea of a teapot as a topper for the tea of two tree in the diningroom (next years addition)
For all of you Tea and McKenzie Child’s enthusiast.

My Personal Category 
I fall into  two of the categories:
 
Sweet memories.....For years we had a little cardboard, and felt Santa on the top of our tree, but over the years Santa lost a few of his parts so we had to retire him.


I opted for a simple white star……

Christmas 2011 005

Then last year I decided to use a Moravian Star theme, and I found the perfect tree topper for my tree……

2021 Christmas Tree 024 (800x544) ribbit

What camp do you fall under, Simple, Personal Memories, or Elaborate?

 
 

13 comments:

michele said...

you're a mindreader! i am on the hunt for something interesting and different to top my lil tree which is currently naked except for twinkly white lights and a lambskin tucked around the base.

michele

Christine @ Suburban Charm said...

I am in the simple camp....I used to have an angel but that got ruined in a move and since then I have just used a big bow at the top of our tree in the same ribbon as the smaller bows I have on our tree. It look like your tree with the bow and the star...minus the star! Beautiful tree!!!

Woodside Park said...

I'm all for simple. But also traditional!! I actually love using the same ornaments year after year - like visiting old friends.
Have a great weekend ahead!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

I grew up with the same kind as you ;-) I'm more simple, with most years nothing at the top, mainly because the tree hits our low ceiling!! These are great images -- I love the pincecone one and the bird the best. Your green and black looked amazing, as does the red and white. You are an energizer bunny -- keep it coming!

Merlin said...

Once a traditionalist always a traditionalist, I guess. I do change the angel every year...I have a choir now. franki

Maureen said...

Your tree is gorgeous! We still use a "vintage" angel from the 70's. We also have a bird and nest in our tree. It is good luck to find one in your tree!

Leslie said...

Hi Kathysue,

Such a fun post! We too prefer something simple and more traditional. Your tree looks so pretty:) I like the traditional ornaments but I also have added an element of nature and woodland because of where we live.

Have a nice weekend! xxL

Linda @ DesignInMyView said...

Growing up we had the same as you - Dad liked it as it required a shorter tree and when you pay by the foot.... :-)

At times I have created a "modified elaborate" to soften the top of ugly trees. Also own an angel and a star - so I guess our tradition is "Mom's Pick".

Cheers!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

This year I'm looking for simple but creative and not trying to spend a lot of money....not that is a challenge!

Stacy CUrran said...

I always think our tree is the most beautiful thing ever, but can you believe I have NEVER found a tree topper that I love? I usually use a big ribbon tied in a bow, but I'm still looking for that perfect one. The monogram idea appeals to me too.... Happy Thanksgiving Kathysue!
Stacy

Unknown said...

Hello. Have you already decided for your Christmas tree topper this year? Hehehe. I am also scouting for something new, unique and really attractive so my guests would be impressive. Keep sharing and bookmarked this helpful page. :D Merry Christmas in advance

Jaybird said...

Well, I would have to join the "memories" camp. My aunt sent an angel card for my first Christmas....she is beautifully detailed and has the loveliest face. She also has real feather wings! She has been atop my Christmas tree now for 66 years, and is just waiting in the wings to come out again this year!
Thanks for all of the lovely pictures and ideas!!
Blessings,
J

Ivy Lane said...

I am in the personal memories camp...My Mom gave me an angel tree topper about 20 years ago... She is a bit Victorian, not my decor..but still looks beautiful on top of the tree... Can't part with her!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ivy