home about me our home

Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Tried and True Skin Care Products





Source: thealternativewife.tumblr.com via Kathy Sue on Pinterest

The look for this season is a dewy, fresh look. We all know the only way to have our make-up look good is to have a good base with healthy looking skin. Oh to look like this beautiful model.

I know a lot has to do with our genetics but I am a firm believer in always trying to improve myself, physically and mentally.


At almost 63 years of age I would say I have tried quite a few products over the years. Plus I am a product junky!!

New Haircut 009 (800x733)
I would say about every decade, or so there seems to be a remarkable change, not always a good one either.

I refuse to go down without a fight so I am always reading and trying new products. Below you will find a list of products that I have been very happy with some I have used for years, and others are new additions to my repertoire.



CLEANSER
I recently have switched to a new cleanser……….
This cleanser is from France. 

It can be used on the face, and body. Safe for children or adults. Very gentle, and PH balanced, so perfect for dry, sensitive skin like mine.

I got  a sample to try first, and I loved it. I noticed my skin felt soft, and subtle after using it so I was sold. I immediately ordered a bottle………

Source: frenchcosmeticsforless.com via Kathy Sue on Pinterest

This gentle cleanser has calendula in it so it has a light fragrance. I really love this product. I use this in the shower every morning.

At night I like to use a natural oil by Lierac also from France. I discovered this while I was visiting Paris this last year…..

It is a natural product and the fragrance is amazing. I love how soft and moist it makes my skin feel before bedtime.

EXFOLIATOR



I love this exfoliator and use it once a week. It has very fine micro beads and it is gentle enough for my dry skin.


MOISTURIZER

I was a long time Creme De La Mer user. I still think it is probably one of the best moisturizers on the market. The only problem is….. Along with how good it is, you will also pay a premium price.


Source: images.search.yahoo.com via Gennafer on Pinterest
I must admit even after using it for years I tried to find something that made my skin feel, and look like it did when I used the La Mer, but something that cost less.

I read about a product that was only sold in France which was not available in the United States. I read some really good reports, and was very disappointed that I could not buy some to try.

Well thanks to  blogland I was reading  a blog post and the author mentioned this face cream from France that could be purchased by a company here in the states that imports it.

The only slight downfall is it take about 3 weeks to get, but it is worth the wait, trust me!!

Source: frenchcosmeticsforless.com via Kathy Sue on Pinterest

I can not say enough about this wonderful moisturizer. It has really made  a difference in my skin. I feel that my skin feels moist all day long, and the texture of my skin is smoother.  They also make a night cream, but I have used this for nighttime as well.

For under $50 this product is worth every penny. The other upside is it only cost about 1/5th of what the La Mer was costing me.



SUNSCREEN

Source: google.com via Kathy Sue on Pinterest
I love Neutrogena products and I swear by them. I have used this sunscreen for years, and it works for me very well. I also like that it is dry-touch, not sticky feeling.


After I do my make-up I always give my face a spritz of this product. I have used it for years. It smells heavenly. A little extra moisture for dry skin is always a welcomed addition. This sets my make-up and helps give me a dewy look.



Source: drugstore.com via Kathy Sue on Pinterest

BODY WASH

Source: drugstore.com via Kathy Sue on Pinterest
Neutrogena Rain bath is another product I have used for years. I love the light sesame fragrance. For summer the refreshing grapefruit or pomegranate is also very nice. This product leaves my skin soft, and keeps it from getting dry.


BODY LOTION

I  recently switched to no fragrance Cetaphil. I find it emollient, and if I choose to add fragrance to it I just put a spritz of perfume in my hand, and then add the Cetaphil.

So there you have it!! If you would like to read more from other bloggers about what skin care products they have found to be tried and true please go over to my friend Libby Wilkie's blog, "An Eye For Detail!"

Libby has asked myself and four other bloggers to participate in her blog post on skin care products. I can't wait to see what others are using. Who knows maybe I will find something new to try!!

Please leave a comment about any products that you have found to be tried and true! Love to hear all about what others use!

Come back through out the week! I will be writing more about make-up and hair products! 

I just found out my friend Tina at The Enchanted Home blog is doing one of her fun CHOICE post on...
Which beauty product would you choose if you could only choose one!? I chose my moisturizer and lip gloss, hands down!!  Be sure to go visit her and let her know Kathysue sent you over!

23 comments:

The enchanted home said...

Ha! We are on the same wavelength today....I also am talkinga about products. I love hearing what people recommend. Can you believe i finally ordered Eucerin and it was sent to my old address and sent back and I never got it! I have to try it...too many swear by the stuff. I LOVE Jurlique moisturizing day cream its super nourishing for my dry skin, smells great and leaves my skin very dewy. For lips, love Mac angel, its my "go to" lipstick and am totally addicted to Nars highlight stick in Copacabana or South Beach, such a fantatic little product!!
Fun post...have a great day.

Unknown said...

You might think I'm crazy, but I'm going to pass along the very best exfoliator that I've ever used. After a week of doing this, you can tell a real difference in the texture of your skin. I learned it from a makeup artist who works for a makeup manufacturer (they make all the big name makeups that sell at the dept. stores). She told me to buy some baby washcloths and a box of baking soda. After washing your face, put some soda on the cloth, make a paste and wash your face with it, then rinse. You can feel it tighten up, so mosturize next. I'm not kidding....my skin texture is dramatically improved. I've been doing it for about a year now, and gave pretty little bottles filled with baking soda and washcloths to all the girls in my family for Christmas. It works that good! (Not to mention that it's almost free!)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

You are so beautiful, I love this picture of you. I havn't used any of your products, but I will give them a try. Keep up the good work, you are amazing and stunning. Hugs, Marty

Melissa Miller said...

Kathysue you looks so beautiful and stylish! Your skin is flawless and you look so young. Love that scarf. I'm going to try that. :)

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

You look great...and no wrinkles....
I'm going to have to try that cream.

Melissa Miller said...

Oops I forgot. I use Clinique creamy facewash and Oil of Olay sensitive skin lotion. I have used this same routine for years and years.

vignette design said...

Thanks for the tips KS! Would love to try the Eucerin cream, but not sure how to order it. As my 59th birthday is fast approaching, I've been thinking of the whole aging thing and how to embrace it! I'm working on a post in my mind about it now! You look fabulous BTW! ~Delores

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Have taken your advice before and will add the new items to my "to Try" list. Thanks...You look 40 think I could look 50???

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Have taken your advice before and will add the new items to my "to Try" list. Thanks...You look 40 think I could look 50???

Sarah said...

You look fabulous, Kathysue. I'm a few years ahead of you, celebrating my birthday this week. ;-) Thanks for the tips and product suggestions.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

You are such a beautiful lady!! This must be the day for aging tips, have 10 tips for aging happily on my blog today. It can just really get better and better with the right attitude! Janell

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Kathysue... just found your blog and I can't believe you are almost 63 - I want what you're having. Where do you buy the Eucerin? I can't find it anywhere...

Leslie said...

Great picks! I am not familiar with the cleanser .. have tried most of the others products. My vanity looks like a chemistry lab and most of my products are therapeutic in nature. I enjoy hearing what other women use and why they like it. I work in Dermatology/ParaMedical Aesthetics and try LOTS of products!! You would be a dream patient KathySue:) Too many women come in to see me having done nothing.. and their skin is sometimes very damaged which of course makes it a challenge to change. You look fabulous. I am in my fifties and I always tell women there is NO excuse for not looking good at any age.

I'd enjoy featuring you (and maybe a few of your favorite cosmetic picks) in one of my Q&A #linesaloud series. Let me know if you are interested!

xxleslie

Libby said...

Kathysue: Very nice post, if I may say so! This was fun, collaborating, we will have to do it again!
ox Libby

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, great to read your product tips. I might have to try that Eucerin one. I have never spent a ton of money on products, but would love some good anti-aging things to try. You have beautiful skin, so you are doing something right!!

Allison said...

Kathysue, you look fabulous! Glowing, happy and healthy looking! You have beautiful skin. One of my favorites is Neutrogena Rainbath. I have extremely sensitive skin and is my go to in the shower. Love the scent and love how it makes my skin feel. I have been wanting to try La Mer. The price has kept me from it but I'm not getting any younger so I might need to go ahead and take the plunge! I also have very dry skin no matter what I do or use so maybe it would be the magic cure. Great post! I am always eager to hear about skin care products.

Karena said...

First of all KathySue you look amazing; I would have never guessed your age, it would have been at least 10 years younger!

I do want to try the Hyaluron Filler from Eucerin. Where is the best place to order from the states.It should help a lot after surgery.

xoxo,

Karena
2013 Artists Series

Ivy Lane said...

You look amazing! I stick to Proactive Solution line and one moisturize at night..if I remember to put it on! That is all.... Going to try Cetaphil body lotion for winter... Have a wonderful week!

Vidya said...

You look beautiful! Thanks for these tips :)

Mary Ann Pickett said...

You are so gorgeous that I want every single recommendation. Why can't we get the Eucerin here? You know Eucerin cream (not exactly the same version I think) was what the pediatrician recommended for my son's terrible diaper rash (wouldn't he appreciate me writing this now that he is 20 yrs old)...and it worked WONDERS. Great post...I am still using Boiing thanks to you.

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

There is no way you are 63! WOW, you look amazing and beautiful! Thanks for all the tips.
XO
Kristin

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

Thanks for the the heads up on all of these great products! I'll be checking out some things tomorrow at Macys!

Terry said...

You’re 63 years old? Wow! You look 10 years younger. Looks like all your skin care products really work for you. Aside from these beauty products, what are your secrets to staying young and beautiful? I’d love to know some of them. ;)-Terry Bayer