home about me our home

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Do You Have Any Interesting Details In Your Home?

 





We have all heard the saying, “It is all in the details!”
Mr. Eames took it a step further and said……….

As important as it is to have a good base to work with I think the details can make or break a good design.

As a designer I have spent years looking at, and for interesting details in rooms. I like to add a special touch to my clients rooms that will make their home uniquely their own style.

As a homeowner I think we all want to be able to do that, but sometimes it is hard to come up with ideas.
Today’s post is all about details. Some will be quite noticeable, and others might be more subtle in appearance, but they all will add a special touch to your home.





Go back to the first image in this post……..



In this image we see a wonderful use of molding. The molding does a great job of outlining the architectural details of the room. Against the dark color it becomes a striking feature. I think this would be equally beautiful with a paler color.



This kitchen is obviously beautifully designed, and from the looks of the stove it is pretty grand. Even though we might never have a kitchen this big, or grand we can still take some of the details, and add them to our own homes.

The older piece that is used for the kitchen island could be done by anyone.

Notice the little shelves at the side of the stove to store spices. Look up at the ceiling details by using bead board, and moldings the ceiling becomes a feature.

My favorite detail is the way they incorporated the clock above the stove, love this detail. I could see this used in an entry hall above a closet, and a mirror added in place of the clock. 

By looking closely at details and re-interpreting them for our own homes we can get a unique design.



Notice the interesting manner in which this train shade is hung. It repeats the latch idea that was used to hold the leather belt. 

Wouldn’t this be wonderful in a boys room or an office/den. This could actually be a no-sew project. Simple and yet it looks so interesting, all because of the details.



The use of tabs instead of ties for these chair covers is a fun detail that anyone could add to a chair.



This is not a new idea, and we probably have all done it at sometime in our decorating projects. I love this image because it shows what a difference a simple ribbon trim can make to a plain lampshade. This would be a quick fix for any room in your home.



All the drawers are labeled, but what really caught my eye was the bold lettering on the side. It becomes a much more special piece by adding a little whimsy to the side of the desk.



There are a few wonderful details in this image. The contrast cord welting makes this daybed come alive. Adding two white belts furthers the designs unique look. 

The artwork above the daybed is just colored dots in matching frames. When hung en masse they become more important.

Some of the above ideas are easy and could be done on a weekend, while others would require a skilled carpenter. The one common thread in all of the above details is, they take the room to a higher level.

Next time you start to make some changes in your room, look around and see where  you might add some details to add interest and take you own room to a whole other level.

“Enjoy the Process!” Of:

Adding unique details to your home.

 

12 comments:

Stacy CUrran said...

SO true! I love the photo with the clock built in, and the labeling on the drawers :)
Stacy

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Great design details. I love the molding and the clock is simply wonderful. Adding ribbon to a lamp is a great idea. Enjoy your week-end. Linda

Karena said...

KathySue These images show just how MUCH of a difference interesting yet unexpected details can make!

I am having a $100 Gift Card Giveaway from Soft Surroundings If you would like to enter.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karen

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Yep, everything is in the details! In our home we have wall moldings which we think is the main detail.
I love all the images you've shared with us. I like the ribbon on the lamps and am going to try that soon. Thanks,
FABBY

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Kathysue, I love those chair covers!!!! You just might have helped me find my new chair covers!
Lovely!
Yvonne

John said...

It's true, it really is all about the details. When I design and build furniture for a client it's the subtleties that they discover that longer they have the piece that make the difference. Incorporating those details in the design process is what keeps you on your toes!

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

It is all in the details, Kathysue. Fabulous post! I saw the clock first too. Love that and will try to add this.
Hope that you and your family are having a great weekend.
Teresa
xoxo

michele said...

so so true. and isn't it funny how some people miss the special details, and those of us who see each and every one?

loving the dots and i think you are on to something with the belts. remember when belts were the rage in the 80s?

smiles.

michele

The enchanted home said...

So agree about the details being the one thing that can make a room go from pretty to magnificent. Deatils are sooo important and I am a very detailed oriented person so even though I might obsess over a detail the average person might not even notice to me, its all in the details. Great examples.....

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Kathysue my dear!!!

First of all, thank you for your kind and generous comment. LIGHT is the only way to live by....and details...ah yes. In my home, the details are the art work that both my husband and I do. Our walls are white, our décor sparse. BUT what adds the THE DESIGN are the features that my husband has literally carved out on the wood above the French doors and my paper art sitting in cabinets. And I LOVE IT.

Be well and enjoy all the BEAUTY IN YOUR LIFE! Anita

Victoria said...

I love all these details, Kathysue, especially the many-layered moulding in the kitchen. What is great about this ideas is they are totally translatable and some are even DIY. The tabs on the chair skirt is my favorite idea; such a modern touch to a traditional concept.
Best...Victoria

Acquired Objects said...

Love this post and you're right it's in the details. Love the clock above the stove. We're lucky enough to have a great finish around our windows it isn't straight framing on top. I think I hear a post!

XX
Debra~