home about me our home

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Where Does YOUR Inspiration Come From?

 





If you were to ask ten different people where do they get their inspiration you might get an answer like…….

“Everywhere, I look everywhere for inspiration!!”

I think that is a safe answer, but I think it actually goes a little deeper than that.



In working with clients for over 30 years I have learned to watch their facial expressions, and body language when talking with them about design.



I have watched what makes my clients light up, or become inspired. Sometimes I will see that light turn on when I am describing a room to them, sometimes it is when they see a picture of a room, or an actual object.



On shopping trips when I show my client a possibility of an element for their room, they will either light up like a kid on Christmas morning, or look at it with a tilted head, as if to say, "It is Okay!Sometimes  they will glaze over as if to say, “Well, she is the designer so I guess it is a good piece.”



As a designer you always want your client to light up, and become inspired. It is important to understand body language, and your client in order to best serve them in the design of their room.

You as a homeowner also need to be in tune with what inspires YOU!. 

What makes you smile like a kid at Christmas when you see it? What draws you in to take a closer look? Basically what inspires you?!!

Are you inspired by color, texture, shape, pattern or style?





I would venture to say it is probably one, or two of the above words that  will first draw you in, or inspire you. 


Personally I am almost always drawn in by color first. Once I establish that I love the color I will then look at the pattern, and then the style of the object, or room.


I discovered this early on in my teen years when shopping with my Mom.

As the day would go on we would start to notice that everything we really liked, or were drawn too that day would be a particular color. It would be a blue day, a green day, or a yellow day. One color would stand out among all the others.


Have you ever noticed what draws you into a room design, or a particular an element in a room?

 Next time you go shopping stop, and think about what drew you to certain items.


You know how it is, you are walking throughout a store, and all of the sudden you see, “IT!” you immediately have to go and look at it closer. What was it that drew you in?


I have a friend that is always drawn in by the texture that is a room, or an element. If it has texture, and looks like it could tell a story she will be drawn to it.



Another friend  is drawn in by the color red! If it is red she will have to go over,  pick it up, and examine it!


Source: google.com via Julie on Pinterest

If I go shopping with another friend, she will inevitably be drawn in by the smooth gleaming texture of porcelain pieces.


Pattern is another element that will inspire people. One friend in particular is drawn in by anything paisley or plaid. Ralph Lauren is her man!! We all know how well Mr. Lauren uses plaids and paisleys.



What do you notice yourself being drawn in/inspired by, color, texture, shape, or style? I think if  you really stop and think about it you will be able to zero in on one of the above elements.



Once you discover what draws you in, you will have one or two of the key elements that is important for you to have in your interiors.

In all of the above images which key elements drew you in the most?

“Enjoy the Process!” Of:

Becoming inspired by:

 COLOR, TEXTURE, SHAPE OR STYLE!!
 
 

19 comments:

La Dolfina said...

Another great Kathysue insightful post peppered with gorgeous and inspirational images. You are most definitely the master of getting us to understand ourselves!!!
Love it!!!!

Marianne said...

I couldn't agree with you more! Inspiration can be found anywhere and in anything. Beautiful examples. Love how you think! xo

michele said...

hmmmmm. i think it's mood for me. do i feel happy in here? do i feel relaxed? do i feel sexy? rooms that create the right mood are the keepers for me. so if the mood created is confused, erratic, or overstimulating, it's out.

love these images!

michele

NanaDiana said...

Hey Kathysue~ I think it is a combination for me of color AND texture more than anything else. I am always want to touch something to feel the texture of it and I am drawn to wood for the movement in the wood. My color preferences change from time to time but I usually come back to what I have always loved. Great post today- xo Diana

laxsupermom said...

Great post! I tend to be inspired by both scale and texture. When the proportions of a picture or a window display seem right to my eye, I have to see more. And with texture, I find there are some things that I just have to pick up. Terrific images! Thanks for sharing.

Blondie's Journal said...

Color first, texture second {for me}. I have similar days to what you and your mom had...days where I am drawn to certain colors more than others! I have been on a gray/yellow theme lately. They look so wonderful together!

Great post today!

XO,
Jane

Toy Carli said...

Nice post today, Kathy. I love the challenges you present to your readers about themselves. This post made me remember what draws me in and I have to say LOVE no matter what it is I am shopping for at the time. Right or wrong, I've always "tried" to only purchase something that I loved the minute I saw it. It has always been quite surprising to me to realize that if I stuck to that personal process, it always fit in my home perfectly. The picture with the black and white entry floor drew me right in over all the others but B&W always does. Thanks.

Lee said...

texture, followed closely by color. I always want to touch, then see how texture melds with color, then pattern. This all sets a certain mood which I think I feel first but, under analysis, texture seems to lead the way. style? ummmm, the sum total of all the parts? thoughtful post.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Color for me...and combinations of color. That staircase drew me right to this post though. How are you able to select which photo will lead (like on my blog roll)?

Jalon Burton said...

What a beautiful post! So much love and work is seen here! Thanks for the great inspiration. Have a great evening - Jalon

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Kathysue, great post! What draws me in is color. Design with an artistic touch always grabs me. Balance and scale also play a big roll.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Lovely post. It's the color that gets me every time. I am always drawn to the same colors...yellows and blues. Sometimes I see something blue and my mouth literally drops open. Great photos.

The Buzz Blog said...

Wonderful post and really gets me thinking about what inspires me... I think getting out and about is the most important thing since broader horizons bring more visual beauty!
xxoo

Stacy CUrran said...

Mine comes from other designers I love... Like YOU!
Stacy

Completely Coastal said...

Great post! I think I'm mostly drawn by colors and of course "the coastal feel".

Diane said...

The photos you chose are certainly inspirational and I seem to be drawn to yellow these days. When creating our custom hardware and furniture pieces we are very often inspired by nature...colors, shapes etc. But, like you said, inspiration is all around us you just have to open your eyes a bit to see it. Great post!

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

This is all fabulous inspiration, and I'm inspired every time that I visit. XO, Mona

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh, my! I have no idea, Kathyuse! I will have to start noticing...but I am thinking it is color first....then shape. Interesting! Happy weekend...hugs...Debbie

SHERRY HART said...

Nobody can explain and put it out there like you :). For me it is usually blues in any form....but then the other day I bought something with Kelly green in it!!! You just never know!!!