home about me our home

Monday, January 30, 2012

Where To Add Color In Your Rooms











This year there seems to be a lot of color being used in  interiors, and in  clothing. It is always fun to add a pop of color to our homes. 




However sometimes we are stopped from doing any changes because it feels as if it will take a whole transformation to add even a pop of color.

I would like to show you that with just the right color in the right place you can add a whole new look or feel to your room.

With the gray skies, and cold weather of winter we like to cozy into our homes. A few days of this coziness is fine, but after weeks on end we need something to remind of us the promise of Spring. 

This is when I think it is a wonderful idea to infuse a bit of happy color into our homes.


The images I am about to show you will prove it does not have to be a major change. By adding one, or two pops of color in the right area of your room, it will give a whole new feeling to the space.




You can see by adding the pop of yellow in this bedside tray the neutral gray room comes alive. I think a colorful tray in any room would do the same.  Think about what color could you use in your own home.



So many people are painting their furniture pieces all white. Why not pull out your favorite color, paint   the inlay, and make the piece come to life. In this image you will also notice that a simple bouquet of flowers also adds a pop of color.

If you have bookcases in your home think of what color you could paint on the back of the bookcase to give it a whole new look without much effort or money…..







I wanted to show you the above image because it is already bright, and cheerful in it’s own right. Blue and white always give a crisp, and airy feel. Look at the beautiful flowers in a raspberry, if those were all white the room would not have quite the same cheerful feeling that it does now.



A touch of yellow in the pillow,  the spine of the coffee table book, and you have added a cheerful felling to an all white room. Look at the colors of your books, or magazines, and add a color spot on a table in your room.



Simple green water bottles, one flower, and you can’t help but smile.

This next setting is very traditional in feel, but by adding a pop of color in the chair the whole vignette comes to life.



Colorful cobalt spheres really add some character to this vignette.



This bookcase is styled beautifully. Notice how they use book spines for pops of color. We can all do this in our homes. If you are not a collector of books go to your local thrift stores and pick up a few.



 (Notice how the color of the painting is pulled down to the table with the coffee table book!)

There are so many ways to add pops of color in our homes. Sometimes I think we get so stuck with what we don’t have that we don’t see what we do have in order to think outside the box.



When I use to consult with clients one of the finishing touches we would do in a room would be what I referred to as color spots. 

I would explain that we would need to place a color spot in the room in three places to draw the eye around the room. 

Here is a list of elements that we all have in homes or would be easily purchased………..

  • Coffee table books
  • Magazines ( I actually save magazines that have the colors I like for my rooms.)
  •  
  • Colorful vases or glassware
  •  
  • Basket with colorful balls of yarn
  •  
  • Pillows
  •  
  • Lampshades
  •  
  • Area rugs
  •  
  • Fruit in pretty bowls or dishes
  •  
  • Flowers (even one bud in a bud vase can create a colorful color spot.)
  •  
  • Candles
  •  
  • Throws
  •  
  • Trim on curtains or lampshades.
  •  
  • Trays

With any of the above items I have mentioned you can create some color spots in your rooms. 

Now, go into a room, look around. Think of the above list, and add some color to your life!!!!  

I am going to work on adding some Kelly green in one of my rooms! 

What color will you be choosing??


“Enjoy the Process!” Of:

Adding a little color to your life!!

Kathysue

23 comments:

Unknown said...

girl is u ever walked into my house - u'd understand i LOVE pops of color! - i utilize to the max

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Great post. Little changes mean a lot. XO, Mona

NanaDiana said...

What pretty, pretty images. I would really like to add bit of deep rose to my home. I am pretty neutral but I do love a pop of color here and there. Nice post, Kathysue! xo Diana

Anonymous said...

I love that row of green water bottles! Maybe green.

I added blue and white to the dining room. Perhaps a bit of yellow or orange will be added to the blue and white.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Had to pop over to see what the topic of your post was today, yep, mine was on color too...my trouble with paint color in my kitchen! Color is amazing, can add everything to a room!

Have a great week, Janell

Tatiana Doria said...

I love the shelves with the orange back

Cheryl said...

Love this!! I save all my pellegrino bottles for stems. I have been known to buy glass bottles of milk or juice to do the same!
The cobalt spheres are lovely, too!!
I must settle in and organize my thoughts. Change things up just a bit.

Stacy CUrran said...

I love all of these examples Kathysue - what a great post. You can really tell how much work went into it. i especially love the kelly green, whichw I think you are using this year! Can't ait to see :)
Stacy

The enchanted home said...

Such a great post and something everyone can do. Love that bookcase backed in yellow..so pretty. Thanks for putting this together, its got my mind reeling with ideas! Have a great afternoon Kathysue.

Unknown said...

Kathysue,
You are thinking like many of the vendors I saw yesterday! Lots and lots of color!! Perhaps we crave color during these winter months when the outside isn't as colorful as it is the rest of the year? I wonder!

Love your ideas for quick pops of color!

Happy Monday!
xo Elizabeth

Karen said...

Great suggestions Kathysue! I thought I was the only one who saved magazines with colors that appeal to me, lol!

Linda in AZ * said...

*** What a SUPERB, and TIMELY, posting today!!! We can ALL utilize most... if not ALL... of these great ideas Kathysue, so many THANKS!!!

It's so interesting, for me, to read when others comment how they NEED COLOR RIGHT NOW because winter's beauty if falling behind, and yet WE, HERE in the DESERT, have THIS time of year as O*U*R "PRETTY & COLORFUL TIME" because the weather is finally PERFECT (after a lonnnng, hotttt summer!!!)...

Alllllll the pics were lovely, buuuuut that blue & white space is TOOOOOO FABULOUSLY PRETTY & MARVELOUSLY HAPPY!!!

Hugs,
Linda (in AZ *)
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

Linda in AZ * said...

*** What a SUPERB, and TIMELY, posting today!!! We can ALL utilize most... if not ALL... of these great ideas Kathysue, so many THANKS!!!

It's so interesting, for me, to read when others comment how they NEED COLOR RIGHT NOW because winter's beauty if falling behind, and yet WE, HERE in the DESERT, have THIS time of year as O*U*R "PRETTY & COLORFUL TIME" because the weather is finally PERFECT (after a lonnnng, hotttt summer!!!)...

Alllllll the pics were lovely, buuuuut that blue & white space is TOOOOOO FABULOUSLY PRETTY & MARVELOUSLY HAPPY!!!

Hugs,
Linda (in AZ *)
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

Karena said...

Kathysue, your images really bring it home. The 1st with the yellow tray look at the difference.

I am going with yellows and orange.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Great post Kathysue. I need a little color around me. I am a little tired of all the gray and bland rooms. By golly, add just a little color!

Melinda said...

I love my blue and white but sometimes think I have too much, so am going to add some Kelly green and some pink to a couple of rooms to spice things up. Great post.

annie@mostlovelythings said...

I adore all those Pellegrino bottles. That's my idea of adding a punch of color. It really doesn't take much...when you see a room with a shot of color, your eyes are instantly drawn to it.

michele said...

beautiful rooms, kathysue!!

just painted my powder room an actual color. it looks fabulous, and i'm just hoping i won't get bored with it...that's the problem with my experience with decorating with color.

michele

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

This is an awesome post! I'm one of those matchy matchy people who tends to feel like the color needs to be spread around the room. But as you've shown, just one pop really looks great. I'm thinking of putting a bowl of lemons in my breakfast area to add a pop of yellow!

SHERRY HART said...

Kathysue.....I'm back! My blog reading has taken a back seat these last few weeks! I missed you. I will be going backwards here to catch up with everything. Great post and I know that when they photograph interiors the stylist will always add color if there is none!

debra @ 5th and state said...

you had me at that first image....the tray! how simple, chic and transformational. great ideas kathysue
xo
debra

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I'm with you, LOVING Kelly green right now, but my favorite way to bring in color are flowers. They not only add color but isn't it amazing how fresh flowers instantly make a room feel happier? Janell

Unknown said...

Great post. I love the added color in unexpected ways. Really like that photo with the pale blue on the inside trim. And I am with Janell . . . flowers and books are my favorite ways to add some vivid color. {loved your HOF shout out as well}