home about me our home

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Outside Christmas Decorations




The first thing most people do when they start their Christmas decorating is hang a wreath on the door. I usually start decorating on my front porch too.


This year was a little different for me, I actually started with the mantel, and the tree. I am now on my way outside to start the process out there.

I am thinking of an all white and green color scheme with maybe a touch of red. I just have to find all the right elements to work with. 

I went to the local Home Depot and Lowes and was a bit disappointed in the offerings they had.

I want natural live elements for my porch so I was looking for a pretty real wreath. I did luck out by going to Costco, where they had  a 28in. Douglas fir wreath for $14.99. I picked up a couple of garlands at Lowe’s since they were the only one around here that had any.

I am going to take a trip to Trader Joe’s early in the morning to see what they have to offer.

I am not sure what I will do outside. Probably something very simple and traditional,hopefully in white and green with a touch of red.

I did look on Pinterest for some inspiration that I thought you all might enjoy seeing too……..



I love the zinc planters on each side of the door. I don’t have zinc planters, but I could still do something similar to this. I also like the subtle touches of red.




This is so beautiful! I love all the natural fresh elements used here. My friend Debra is a master at container gardening. If you need ideas be sure and visit her blog 5th and state, you will love it there! here are a few more of Debra’s winter containers.....









I find it hard to pick out a favorite they are all so beautiful and lush!! I told you Debra is a master!!



This is not an outdoor arrangement, but I think it is a great combination of materials that could be used outside!



I am really liking the look of the green apples in the wreath. I could pair this wreath with the arrangement in the third picture, they did not use apples but the element is the same color as green apples! Hmmmm?! My creative juices are starting to flow!! Are yours?





This is really nice!! I think the lantern hanging in the middle of the wreath is so fun!! I love lanterns and this would be a fun new way to use one on my porch!!

Source: bhg.com via Kathy Sue on Pinterest


Galvanized French buckets are a wonderful texture against the green and the shimmer of the blue and green balls. I love this. I can just see this in the planter with my other plants. I really need to try this somewhere. I have two French buckets!!





More apples and lanterns I am starting to see a pattern in my thought process!!!



Boxwood, green apples and a lantern!! Love it!!!










How about a little whimsy? Instead of using green wreaths, grapevine wreaths were used to make this darling snowman. Very clever indeed!

I don't know about all of you, but writing this post has inspired me. First thing tomorrow morning I am going to start creating!!! Falalala ♪♫♪♫
"Enjoy the Process!" Of:

Creating beauty for your Holidays!

Kathysue

30 comments:

The enchanted home said...

Kathysue...I am in love with every single picture here!! Definitely going visit 5th and State...she is ridiculously talented and thanks to her talent I got some great ideas:) More for next year than this but I will still have fun!
Like you, I love using green apples anywhere and they look fabulous in a wreath. There is no doubt in my mind that you are going to come up with something totally beautiful....cannot wait to see.
LOVE THIS POST! Am bookmarking it!

Wendi @ Classic Chic Home said...

You've found some great inspiration, Kathysue. I'm looking forward to seeing your own personal creation. It's sure to be fabulous!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I'm decorating my porch today too. I love every one of these photos. A few years ago I wired real apples on a boxwood wreath for my front door. We had really cold weather that December and they froze. When they thawed out they fell right off the wreath. Any suggestions on a better way to mount them on the wreath? I suppose I could use faux apples but love the look of real. Have a really fun day. Please share everything!

chisenfam said...

Wonderful inspiration pics and I love your timing since Im getting out this weekend and working on my porch and front door. These were just beautiful, I love the natural elements! Can't wait to see yours.

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

Beautiful inspiration for Christmas!

Lee said...

thinking black urn planters here which might be hard to find this time of year. I thought I needed beautiful planters last summer before I discovered the price tag on those beauties! These are inspiring images. Thank you!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Kathysue, These are some beautiful images. Love how they are so sophisticated looking.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

These are so pretty, Kathysue! Thanks for sharing them! I love the look and smell of the real thing! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

well, Kathysue, I just pinned you to the max!
Beautiful post.
Teresa
xoxo

Anonymous said...

These are all so gorgeous. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I've yet to get a wreath or start my entry. I need a trip to the farmstand! xo

The French Tangerine said...

Such a lovely post! I too am working on a wreath post and have "pinned" a couple of your images I haven't seen! LOVE this post Kathysue!
Jan

Libby said...

I went to an estate sale a week ago where there were at least 20 galvanized buckets for sale... at $5 each. No, I didn't buy any! Do I regret that decision? You bet, especially after seeing your picture here! What a great idea. Ah well, I will be content to look at your pictures!

Dovecote Decor said...

Beautiful roundup Kathy Sue. Your taste is inspirational. Good luck on the Dovecote Decor giveaway at Art by Karena. I should just send you the asparagus dish for being such a loyal commenter and supporter of my blog. Happy, Happy Holidays to you and your family.
xoxo
Liz

Linda Hartong said...

I forgot about Costco. And I love the frosty in the last shot. I may try that one. It looks like the most fun

Karen said...

I tend to decorate outside last but always buy a fresh wreath and fill my planters with evergreens. After the holidays I'll often remove the bow from my wreath but leave everything else in place.

Loved the image of the boxwood/apple combination. Very unique. Unique is good!

SHERRY HART said...

Great Christmas eye candy!!! I am having such a hard time getting motivated this year. I just don't want to go up in the attic and get it down:(

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh dear, such BEAUTY!!!! I love the natural elements here dearest, so classy and timeless. That wreath with the blue bow caught my eye and I am going AQUA this year with white...it takes me back to my childhood when relatives would put out the aluminum trees with pretty blue ornaments.

THANK YOU FOR COMING BY and commenting; all of you out there are just wonderful! Anita

Victoria said...

What lovely inspirations, Kathysue. I plan on trying a few of the planters myself. Thanks.
Best...Victoria

Lee said...

thanks for the tip on the Costco wreath. We got one there today, gorgeous! And I found two medium sized black urns at Home Depot that I will fill soon, over 50% off. happy! would rather decorate outside than inside, though the latter is done and it's almost time to move into the stirring, the mixing, the baking . . . You've inspired me. Hard to pop into Christmas right after Thanksgiving. Keeping it simpler this year helps.

Amanda said...

oh my goodness!!! this was the best post ever!!! I am so loving the all natural look outside too! I bought fresh wreaths for the front door for the first time- & I love it! I just hope the survive our warm winter. And I am so bookmarking your friends site-such great inspiration.

An Urban Cottage said...

Some wonderful options. That wreath with the green apples is AMAZING!

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Just eye candy galore. I know you will create even more candy on your darling front porch. I think you should hang a few balls from Mr Fern for a festive look. :)

Thinking of you Dear Friend. Kisses, barb

michele said...

loving loving!

i needed the inspiration desperately. i love it when you read my mind.

michele

Linda in AZ * said...

*** What a FANTABULOUS POSTING, Kathysue!!! EVERYthing is SOOOO PRETTY... and so VERRRY INSPIRATIONAL!!!

I went out "just to do one quick errand" today, & didn't arrive home til almost 5 HOURS LATER (yes, the dogs were crossing their legs, bless their little hearts... and big bladders!)... I got soooooo wrapped up with "all things Christmas", that I shopped and shopped and imagined yummy things to do in/with the house...and outside, too!!! I HAD A GREAT DAY!!!

THANK you, as ALWAYS, for a TERRIFFIC BLOG TODAY!!!

Big hugs,

Linda in AZ *
bellesmom12234@comcast.net

Melinda said...

Love all this lovely Christmassy inspiration and I'm getting my fix from your blog as we don't have any decorations yet. I do so love a wreath and these are beautiful. Can't wait to hang something on my new door, even if it is the day before Christmas. Thanks for your kind words and sympathy. Always a great help. Mx

Blooming Rose Musings said...

I am having the most difficult time getting motivated this year. I guess it's because I've been working long hours and I'm tired...but after seeing all the lovely images you just presented I am much more inspired. As always, you start my imagination humming and soon inspiration kicks in. Thank you, Kathysue! I can't wait to see what you do at your house!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kathysue, This is a timely post for me. I have a outside urn I planned to fill with greenery today so now I have some great ideas. Thanks for sharing the inspiration.
xo,
Sherry

debra @ 5th and state said...

G I R L F R I E N D!!!!

what a lovely surprise, thank you for your kind words, so very generous. i was going to do a tutorial on these urns but blogger, or my computer is not allowing me to post, will try again
xoxo
debra

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I have completed my Christmas decorating..the Home Tour is over; however, I have to make that snowman grapevine wreath decoration. It is too cute!!! Thank you for the beautiful photos and ideas.

My Beautiful World said...

So happy to find your beautiful blog you have shared so much lovliness here and in your past posts I have enjoyed looking around, I'm now following nice to find new friends on blogger, if you have a spare minute come and visit sometime follow back if you like, thank you again hope you have a great day

Always Wendy