home about me our home

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My Backyard Blues




When it comes to the combination of blue and white you can count me,”IN!” I find it to be a classic look that will stand the test of time.

I chose this combination for my backyard to give it a cool feeling for the hot summer days we can experience here in California.

I also painted the back of my home a different color than the front!! Yes!! you heard right. The front of my home is yellow which is a warm and welcoming color, but I needed a cool look for the back so I chose a soft sage green for the back. You can not see the back of the house from any angle other than when you are back there so that is how I can get away with a two-toned house.

I took these pictures just when the sun was going down. The candles were lit and ready for dinner on the patio……….

Backyard 011 (600x800)

The two black lanterns hold candles. You can’t see the light until it is totally dark. I purchased these years ago specifically to hang on my cobalt blue shutters.

The white monogrammed pillow is from Ballard designs. You know me, I have to have a touch of black and white and a letter,”P.” in just about every room in my home.




Backyard 013 (800x600)


This is where we eat breakfast and also have dinner on the nights that are still warm.

This is the very first table that hubby and I ever purchased in 1970. It use to be white and it was our kitchen dinette table for years.

Even as a nineteen year old I knew it would be a good investment piece. Once it was no longer our kitchen table we could use it on our patio.

One thing I did not realize back then was…… Out of site out of mind. It set in my garage for 30 some-odd years, and just this year got it’s new coat of paint.

It was so fun sitting together at this table for the first time in years. I told hubby,”This is where it all began!! 41 years ago.





Backyard 014 (800x600)
You can see our chimnea in this picture. We put a log in it when it is completely dark. My kiddos love to sit out here and make smores in the summer months.

Sometimes even when it is a bit cold we will snuggle up in blankets here. The small wrought iron piece at the bottom is an antique fire screen. I bought it years ago and it just snuggled in perfectly with the chimnea.




Backyard 016 (800x600)


In our area of California the summer months can get quite hot so a pool almost becomes a necessity. We had this pool installed over thirty years ago and I have never regretted it.

My boys and their friends spent a lot of fun times out here. Now our grand kids enjoy slipping down the slide when they visit in the summer months.

The white piece in the center is a fountain. I love to look at it, it reminds me of Disney land when it is turned up on high! I am a big kid at heart!




Backyard 015 (800x600)
I have to mention the great wall , that is what we call our fence, because it is pretty big.

My middle son built this for us two summer’s ago. We did not have the last two panels finished until this year. He helped me with the design and built all of it but the last two panels. He helped make a dream come true for me.

He also installed the large black lanterns which he said reminded him of, “The Pirates of the Caribbean!” at Disneyland. He is right, when it is dark it is just a lantern glow. He and hubby rewired them for low voltage lights in order to get a candle glow effect. I love ambient lighting.

Backyard 023 (600x800)
Backyard 020 (800x600)
The sun is starting to go down and the candle light begins to show up more. This is looking at my yard from the very back side.





Backyard 022 (800x600)

As you walk back you turn the corner and we have another small patio where hubby barbecues/grills and we can sit back there and visit. The men usually go back there and talk about , you guessed it, SPORTS!



Backyard 021 (800x600)


Backyard 029 (800x600)


It is getting a bit dark now so I had to use a No-No, Flash!!! This is another favorite area of mine. That is little Jimmy holding a rock over looking a water feature. It is a small bubbler sitting among the ferns. It is a sweet little surprise making a wonderful bubbling sound, very peaceful. Above this area is my window box……..



Backyard 031 (800x600)
It is getting dark so it is time to sit down and enjoy the candle light!!


So now you know where Kathysue’s family and friends sit and visit!! I hope you have enjoyed your stroll through out my backyard……



“Enjoy the Process!” Of:

Making special areas in your home to sit and relax!

Kathysue

24 comments:

Sheets on the line, love in my heart. said...

your home and yard are stunning. the colors just look so nice. great job!
blessings,
rebecca

Anonymous said...

Love your outdoor space... it is so pretty and I think I could easily sit out there all day taking it all in! xo

Allison Egan said...

What a lovely outdoor space!!! I love eating outside. California weather is the best :)

xo Allison
Spicer + Bank
www.spicerandbank.blogspot.com

Patti said...

I love it! How smart to paint the back of the house a different color that cools things off. The great wall really is great. And the pool--I miss the pool we had in our old house and vow to have one in the next house. It's best to be able to see the pool from inside and walk right into the yard--vanishing threshold. Thanks for the tour:)

Karen said...

I love that you still have your first table on the patio. It would never occur to me to put an indoor table outside. Now I know what I'm doing with our current kitchen table when I replace it.

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

The backyard look great! I love the pops of blue!

Tiffany

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Kathysue, what a great backyard. I know what you mean about a pool.We also live in Calif. and it gets hot!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Very pretty and so neat and tidy! I don't know how you can keep it so clean...that is such a challenge for anything outside here. Charming.

Splendid Sass said...

Kathysue-
You outdoor area is gorgeous. Everything about your house is so manicured!
Thank you for sharing.
Teresa
xoxo

Unknown said...

Very pretty. Love the gorgeous blue you've injected there. I'll bet there's been lots of good times here and much more to come!

vignette design said...

Love it Kathysue! Love the table and chairs painted black and the blue cushions look great with them. Your backyard is simply gorgeous!

Lee said...

Thank you for inviting us to stop by. Relaxing, serene space -- ah. . . . . I can just imagine your grandchildren roasting s'mores, all wrapped up in blankets.

Lee said...

Thank you for inviting us to stop by. Relaxing, serene space -- ah. . . . . I can just imagine your grandchildren roasting s'mores, all wrapped up in blankets.

Tote said...

Kathysue, your backyard is lovely. I enjoyed the tour and stories about your family. The fact that you still have your first table is awesome. Isn't it amazing how fast time goes by!

Georgica Pond said...

What a beautiful backyard so nice of you to share it with us. The colours are lovely, the pool looks so inviting and your garden is heavenly. Makes me pine for summer seeing those images, and I can't wait to be able to use our new backyard come Christmas.

Linda in AZ * said...

***** Ohhhhh dear Kathysue, this desert-living woman LOVVVVVES to see all that G*R*A*S*S you have to enjoy!!! And y*o*u*rs is SOOOOO PRETTY and reeeeally GREEEEEN!!!!! We've got our GREEN GRASS on the GOLF COURSE, so at LEAST we have "sumpin'"!!!!!!

Once again, you have shared the home you so love and cherish~~~ my GOODNESS!!! What beautiful MEMORIES are there for all of you!!! And the love and care is all there ~ sitting in all it's glory for everyone to enjoy...

"I THINK YOU R*O*C*K, GIRLFRIEND!!! (Grins!)...

TODAY you deserve "BIG HUGS"!!!

Linda in AZ *
bellesmo1234@comcast.net

The enchanted home said...

Kathysue, looks so beautiful. Love how it just pops, so vibrant really great looking, It must be your happy place!!

Victoria said...

Wow, Kathysue, your backyard is so, so well manicured and neat! Your son did a great job on the fence and I love the idea that every space has a function and the whole yard gets used. It is clearly very well thought out and very lovely. Thanks for the tour.
Best...Victoria

Lori @ Lori May Interiors said...

Such a wonderful place to be with your family and friends. I love the story of your table.

michele said...

1. swoon
2. i lovelovelove the story about your table...our 1st kitchen table is still a part of our lives every single day!
3. the fence wall is exactly what i would want and love. i need that privacy!

what an inspiring and lovely post!

michele

debra @ 5th and state said...

soothing indeed kathy sue. much to love here but my favorite is the lanterns on the shutters, brilliant!
xo
debra

Jeanie Cash said...

Kathysue -

Happy Birthday to Designer Extraordinaire! You are brilliant, creative, talented, but most of all....you are a godly woman with a heart of gold. I hope your birthday is fabulous!

Jeanie

Beach House Living said...

Beautiful and tastefully done!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Such a beautiful space. I just love your yard. And of course that pool.