home about me our home

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Living in the Moment



Source: art.com via Kathy Sue on Pinterest


Living in the moment is easier said than done for most of us. If we are women, wives and moms it is extremely challenging because we have to multitask all day long, juggling everyone's schedules and needs.
The byline on my blog is, “Enjoy the Process!!” I really do try to live by that mantra, but I too often get pulled under with life and its many demands.



As I have gotten older, and hopefully wiser, I am growing to realize more and more that we are robbing ourselves of special gifts that come our way when we don’t live in the moment.



two_friends_having_a_serious_conversation_in_012474bl

I was talking at great length with a dear friend the other day. She was telling me of a new adventure in her life with great excitement and anticipation of all that could unfold in this new experience. I said something to her that  applied to her journey, but I think it can possibly apply to all of us.
I said,“You are already talking about  the end of your journey and you have just begun, so enjoy the beginning!”

Sometimes when something new and fun happens in our lives, we let our minds run away with the possibilities ahead of us. We try to figure out what will happen in the middle and the end.  When we do this it is robbing us of the moment we are in. 


The other point that came to my mind is that we might not be ready to handle that part of our journey until we fully experience the beginning. 

baby_girl_riding_tricycle_kby22014

It would be as if a child were to get their first bike and they thought they should get a car.  I know that sounds ridiculous to us who are older and wiser. What if they were given a car? They would never get to experience the joy of riding a bike up and down the sidewalk or down a hill. If they were to try to drive a car they would only become frustrated with the fact that they were not tall enough, coordinated enough and definitely not old enough to do this task. They would feel as if they had failed.

amelia driving dad's car

I think if we are not living in the moment and we are rushing things along, we feel some of these same frustrations of inadequacy. It is not that we are inadequate at all! We are just not ready to handle it yet. We are not ready for that part of our journey. 

So if you can, “ Enjoy the Process and Live in the moment.” when you are ready, and only then will you be able to truly enjoy what God, and life, has in store for you.

Source: google.ca via Ivan on Pinterest

Jeremiah 29:11 says:
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (NIV)

Kathysue is:
“Enjoying the Process!”

24 comments:

Lori said...

WOW! Thank you so much fir this! It spoke right to my heart! I love the way your thoughts just poured out to you for your friend....and bloggers like me. You are so right about how we get so excited about something we tend to get entirely carried away. Thats me! God blessings to you.

Cheryl said...

You have no idea how poignant this post was for me today. Sometimes the adventures in our life are those we don't understand. This summer mine is grappling with my husband's turn for the worse with his Frontotemporal Dementia. Each day, as we sit together, I wonder how much longer he will have to live like this, as it is no life. I wonder how our children are managing to live with this man who looks like their dad, but is no longer him. I think I am ready to say good bye, and then I get a glimpse of my love... a twinkle in his eye, a half smile, and I wonder... what is this all for?
This journey...although I cannot say I am enjoying this process, I will say that for the most part I am living in the moment. I do wonder what God has in store for each of us. I do wonder about His plan.
Thank you for reminding me of Jeremiah 29:11
Cheryl

The enchanted home said...

Hallelujah to that!! So agree, but its equally important to "go for it". I think so many of us, myself included are sometimes fearful and I have always loved the quote "you never know what you are truly capable of until you try"...and its so true! Great message here.

Gave you an award today! Its on my Sunday post..stop by.

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Beautiful post Kathysue. This is why I am so proud to call you a friend. Happy Sunday!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Thank you Kathysue. It is important to sometimes slow down and give thanks and appreciate all the things God gives us.

Privet and Holly said...

KS, you could have
written this just
for me....I always
seem to be catching
myself rushing ahead
in my mind and then
trying to slow down.
I've made some good
strides in the last
month that I hope I
will take with me once
I go home and the school
year begins. Thanks
for the reminder, coach!
Happy Sunday,
xx Suzanne

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love when you do a post like this. It lets others know how truly special you are on the inside and how wise you are. Not just the outward things in life, but the beauty that lies within your heart. Love you so much. Hugs, Marty

Splendid Sass said...

Kathysue,
One of my favorite verses. One of those that you go back to many times.
I agree that we don't live in the moment. You really have to think about it constantly.
I am going to make a point to try all week. Wish me luck. I am not really convinced that I can.
Have a great Sunday.
Teresa
xoxo

Tote said...

Very well said Kathysue. I love that you remind us to slow down and appreciate what we have and enjoy the process along with this.
Thank you so much!!

susan

Completely Coastal said...

Being in the moment is really a mind training of connecting to the present experience (sensations, feelings...) again and again. We're not taught how to do that (unless you go to a meditation retreat)..., and are so used to getting lost in planning, thinking, comparing, living in the past and in the future. That's what most people talk about! It's awesome to be reminded and conscious of that..., if you have faith, feel guided..., no need to plan the future, right!

vignette design said...

Good Morning Kathysue,
This is such a wonderful post and reminder to all of us to stop and smell the roses. They call it Monkey Brain! We have to tame that Monkey Brain to stop the chatter so we can really hear the bird chirping outside, the rustle of the leaves (can you tell that's what I'm hearing right now!) Living in the moment is something I try to do every day. Meditating helps, being mindful. Trying not to rush things and "enjoy the process" as you say.
Wonderful quote, KS from Jeremiah. I'll try and make it my mantra for today. Hey, maybe you should write my Sunday's Mindful Home! I'm realizing I really don't have any ideas left for it. You nailed it today my friend. Love, Delores

Lee said...

Blessings to you, Cheryl. It is all about the small stuff, the small treasures in each day, that half-smile. If that were all you had, all any of us has, it would be everything, everything that we need.

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Wonderful message and great reminder. You have a wonderful way of bringing us back to what is important. Thanks Kathysue. Mona

Amanda said...

KathySue what a beautiful post!!! And something we all need to hear. And Jerimiah 29:11 is one of my favorite versus!!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

What a great post KS and a GOOD lesson for all of us! Especially us type A people. I find myself rushing through all I want to accomplish and I know I need to SLOW DOWN sometimes! I will print out that quote and keep it here at my desk! Thanks!!!!! XO, Pinky

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Good reminder, some weeks I just find myself saying hurry-up to everyone about everything!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Beautiful reminder...you are so right!

Haven and Home said...

What a great post and great reminder! So true and something I try to remember all the time.

quintessence said...

I am trying to live more in the moment. Have you read Slow Love? Well it definitely spoke to me and then I had the pleasure to spend the weekend with Dominique. You can see how she describes slow love in person if you have time to stop by. It speaks to much of what you are saying here!!

La Dolfina said...

Thanks for this sweet friend, just so you know I have taken your advice and am focusing the best I can on the present moment. I'm so glad you shared our God talk with blogland! You are his gift to those who know and love you :)
God Bless and have a wonderful week.
I love you!!!
Terri

SHERRY HART said...

Ha Ha...hence the term "youth is wasted on the young"....We want everything to slow down and they want everything to hurry up....:)

Blooming Rose Musings said...

What a wonderful post, Kathysue.
We have all been guilty of this at one time or another and hopefully we learn from it. You are so right, it is important to be in the moment and be mindful because when we jump ahead or worry about the future we miss the beauty of the here and now. As you say, "Enjoy the process".
Wonderful post!

for the love of a house said...

such wise words... thank you for the reminder.

joan

Wendi @ Classic Chic Home said...

I've been spending some time on your blog this morning, Kathysue, enjoying some of your older posts. This is an especially beautiful post, and I just wanted to say thank you.
Your blog and the messages you convey are wonderful.
Wendi xxoo