home about me our home

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Why I Write About My Thinking Process!!

I would imagine some of you might think I over think my design work from reading the post that take you through my thinking process.

The reason I do posts like these is that you, my readers, can possibly think of your own process in a new way.

Throughout my years of being a design consultant for over thirty years I became somewhat of a teacher to my clients.

I was always gratified the most when I could teach them a new way to look at their own home more objectively. I wanted to leave them with the tools that they could use in making future decisions for their home.

I knew that I would not always be there when they are shopping for their home, and I wanted them to use the tools I had given them to help them through the process.

Throughout the  years I have had many clients and several of them I call, “Friend!” One friend/client in particular always fascinated me with her questions and her confidence in me.

She would always ask me, “ How do you do that?” She was referring to  how I would know where to put items in a vignette or how I knew to purchase a certain item for her home. Often times I would say, “I don’t know, I just seem to know!”
This particular client is a professor of psychology at a major University. It is her job to understand how people think. She brought to my attention how others might need to know the process of how I think and why.

This is the reason I write about my process at such length……….

By making your thinking visible (that is, by explaining how you go about the design process) you provide scaffolding and appropriate support that allows others to think about  similar work.
Your comment about there being no right or wrong in the design world then allows people at all levels of expertise to buy-in to the process, and begin thinking about how they will approach their own project.  
Not sure you realize what an incredible gift that is, but in the world of cognition, teaching and learning, what you do, and how you think is EXEMPLARY!
AMAZING!

Needless to say I was blown away by her wonderful comment to me on a blog post I had written. That being said, it also made me realize I need to keep doing post on my thinking process.

I know not all of my readers will enjoy these types of post, but for those of you that do, I truly hope I am giving you some food for thought that will help you in making decisions for the process of making your house a home. 

Sometimes I wonder if I am hitting a cord with my readers.  The only way I can tell is by the comments that are left. I so enjoy reading each and everyone of them, and I want to thank you for taking the time to leave a little piece of yourself with me!!! Without all of YOU this blog would not even be worth doing. 

I hope you will continue to allow me to do what I love doing………

Enjoying the Process of:
Helping you make your house a home!!

Sincerely,
Kathysue

PS...... Thank you to those of you who are leaving a comment on this post, it will be really helpful in letting me know if I am on the right track. XO KS
 
BTW: If any of you are having a problem leaving a comment would you mind emailing me and letting me know. Apparently some bloggers  are having problems and I was notified that they had a problem on my blog. Just email me at Goodlifeofdesign@yahoo.com
Thank you so much, KS 

15 comments:

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

Thanks for your kind words about the magazine! Isn't it a riot!??
Warmly,
Angela,
Parisienne Farmgirl

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Great post, Kathysue.
It really is important to have a process.
I hope that you are having a great holiday weekend.
Teresa
xoxo

La Vie Quotidienne said...

My husband used to refer to what you do as 'creative visualization' I do it it too. But I even like to do mock ups if possible. In fact today I put up paper cutouts of some roosters I made just to decide when and how to put them...pretty silly, but, it works for me.

Kathysue said...

I love learning the process of decorating. Keep up the good work Kathysue!



I don’t know what is wrong with blogger, but it has been this way for a few days now.

Some comments go through and then some don’t. Go figure….



Susan

Kathysue said...

I will post comments that could not be made here due to blogger problems. The previous comment was sent to me via email, thankyou Susan!!

Karen said...

I learn so much from reading your thoughts on design. In the past couple days you have actually saved me from making spontaneous purchases without giving some thought to what the purchase would add to my space. I loved your idea of using a laundry basket to gauge what size basket you should buy for instance. I will definitely be using that tip in the future. (I even thought about wrapping a blouse around a pillow to see if the particular shade would work in my room in the form of a pillow!)

Keep the good stuff coming!

Anonymous said...

Kathysue, I was told readers were having trouble commenting my way too. Blogger just stinks at times. I don't think I have a process but just know what I know. I will have to ponder this! xo

Patti said...

Hi Kathysue, Patti here from Pretty Old Houses. This post on thinking about design is very timely for me--I'm that close to ordering some chairs online, but need to do a little more research.
I like your thinking about thinking--that's called metacognition--an ed psyc term from the 1990's.

Nouveau Stitch said...

Oh don't you just love it when you have a few minutes to spare and decide to blog read and discover a new must-read blog? Well that's what has happened to me today and I couldn't be happier as I stumbled upon your MB pic in exactly my color combo! Like you I still haven't nailed the wall color by any of the paint manufacturers but I know I'll get it any second now with your inspiration.

Glad to find you. And thank you for the eye candy! I can't believe our paths haven't crossed before.

Ellen

Unknown said...

Hi Kathysue,
I think you're definitely on to something. I feel each of us is lending our own unique set of talents into blogworld...and you definitely have the knack for explaining the whys and hows!!!

Follow your instincts and keep going with it!
xoxo Elizabeth

Linda Hartong said...

You are on the right track. You also encourage us to experiment and permission to enjoy the mistakes as well as the success- or the process. It takes away lots of worry about getting it right the very first try.

debra @ 5th and state said...

hi kathysue,
ditto elizbeth's sentiment.
here is my thought on your blog; educational, enthusiastic and inspiring with original material! and....i am a designer; interior/exterior so i am not seeking 'how-to' but love to read your thought process, we can all learn from each other.
stay sweet you, it is what we come back for
xo
debra

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Kathysue,
You always hit a cord with me. The psychology of the design thought process is right on target. I think that we all are a bit too afraid to post too much about our particular design aesthetic, but the bottom line is, if you follow the thought process you can achieve the look you desire with any aesthetic. Just keep doing what you are doing because we all enjoy it so much. Hope you've had a wonderful holiday weekend with your family. Mona

deborah said...

Hey Kathysue,

I believe being authentic about what and how you do things is amazingly generous.

You not only show how passionate you are but you ignite your readers passions too.

Keep up the good work.

SHERRY HART said...

Oh girl...you know you can do no wrong in my eyes....I love hearing about someones thought process when designing a room...especially yours!