home about me our home

Thursday, December 30, 2010

What Little Black Dress Does Your Home Wear?

With the New Year celebrations coming up we all start thinking about what to wear for the special parties.

Should we go glitzy or should we stay classic?


1 (688x800)
We have all heard of the “Little Black Dress.” No one did it better than Audrey Hepburn.

We have been told for years that we all need one in our wardrobe. I have my simple Calvin Klein that I will be able to wear for years to come and I can dress it up or down.

The “Little Black Dress” can go with anything and go anywhere. It can be changed by just adding different accessories, color or texture.

I also think we need pieces like this in our homes.

I started thinking about what is the “Little Black Dress” in my home?!

You know the item or room that goes with just about anything and it can be changed by an addition of an accessory or a color.

My “Little Black Dress” in my home is definitely my dining room with it’s simple green and white striped wallpaper and wood floors.

 Alone it is unadorned, but with a few changes it can be changed for the seasons or for any occasion.


fall dining 2
summer dining 2 (800x600)
christmas dining room 2010 013 (800x600)
christmas dining 2009 007 (800x600)
Christmas kitchen 2008 034


Do you have a “Little Black Dress” in your home?

I think we all need an area or an item that is easily changed, don’t you?

After all it is change that keeps us motivated and moving forward towards a new goal. Change is exciting and motivating so we need our own “Little Black Dress” in our homes.

I think a good goal  for 2011 is to make more areas in my home dressed in it’s own “Little Black Dress.”

How about you, do you have a little black dress in your home?

Take a look around!  Do you have areas that are easily changed with just a few accessories, textures or color?

Something to think about, isn’t it?

I wonder what my dining room will be wearing for New Years Eve?!


“Enjoy the Process” Of:

Finding the “Little Black Dress” for your home!

Kathysue

11 comments:

Hamptontoes said...

The little black dress for your "home" is a great space. My foyer, kitchen, dining room would be some spaces in my home that welcome various looks without a major overhaul. Happy new year!

diane@onlinefabricstore said...

Cute post...my lbd in my home is my entryway. It receives seasonal and holiday changes throughout the year as does my guest bath. Certainly keeps the boredom away.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I change out my kitchen for every season and/or holiday! I know. But I enjoy the change. I get so tired of looking at the same things. I change the dining room for holidays. I just wish the room was bigger because Imlove to entertain and often feel CRAMPED:):) Happy new year!!!!! XO, Pinky

Anonymous said...

My lifelong LBD is plainness - I just can't live with patterns. When I lose all my marbles I will happily go into a home IF the curtains are plain - my daughter has instructions!

My standby dress for formal occasions is a very plain, extremely expensive champagne Issey Miyake shift with matching coat, which has been to every wedding, gala and ball for the last twelve years - I can't tell you the relief not having to think about what I'll wear on those occasions!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love your dining room and every change you make in it is always stunning. I think your kitchen is also a little black dress. I guess mine has to be the living room. I can change to almost anything with just a few accessories. I do have that special little black dress and of course the little black suit too. I hope I can still wear them. I need to find out. lol

I hope you and all your family have the most Blessed New Year ever. Love you so much!!! Hugs, Marty

La Vie Quotidienne said...

What a great idea...I never thought of it this way before. Very interesting. Happy New Year.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Kathysue...

Ohhh...your dining room is just gorgeous all dressed up in her different looks! Of course, I loved your last photo of the pretty Christmas reds! You know how I love my red...it's kind of like my little black dress! Hehe! I guess the room at my place that would fit this description is my master bedroom! It's done in neutral enough colors that I can change just a few things...such as bedding...and get a very different look! I do enjoy doing that too! Thank you for sharing your beautiful dining room with us today...in all of it's different decor and color themes...love it!!!

Well dear friend, wishing you and your sweet family many blessings for the coming New Year! God is GREAT!!!

Love ya,
Chari @Happy To Design

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kathysue, Every picture of your dining room is beautiful. I just love the pedestals with the lamps in front of the mirrors. I think our morning room is the closest to my little black dress. My tablescape changes constantly. I hope you have a fabulous 2011.
Hugs,
Sherry

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Girl, you are FAST!!!!! I swear you left a comment 60 seconds after I posted!!! How did you do that:):):) XOXO

Silvia C said...

What a beautiful blog you have! Happy New year.

vignette design said...

Your dining room is so gorgeous and classic Kathysue. I never get tired of seeing it. My little black dress is my living room. We only use it for special occasions, just like a little black dress! Happy New Year! xo Delores