home about me our home

Sunday, July 4, 2010

While Thriftying I ran Across A Few Things!!

I know that there are sooooo many out in blog land that love to go thrifting. My friend Deb at Confessions of a Plate Addict is a master at this process. I like that she calls it, “Good-will Hunting.”  She makes me laugh all the time with her wonderful sense of humor and darling Southern accent.

I love to go thrifting but I must admit I am a mood shopper and I have to be in the mood for the hunt. When I am in the mood I do have a good time. I have picked up a few treasures in the past and since I just did the post on Carolyne Roehm’s Tag sale I thought I would share a few of the treasures I have picked up.

GW treasures 002

The white ironstone platter is a medium size and I bought two of them. I use them all the time, they are the perfect size. The jade green bud vase which has a lot of blue in the green was originally from Gump’s in San Francisco, it still has the tag on it. I use this in my guest room, it is the perfect color for that room.  The black candle holder is very old and I think it is actually part of a set. You remember how they use to have the clock and the two pieces on each side that matched the clock. I decided it would make a great candle holder for my winter look.

los altos 
There is an affluent area in Northern Calif., Los Altos they call their Goodwill GW’s and that is exactly what is on the sign. I remember going in thinking it was a boutique and as I walked back further and saw some of the signage used inside I realized I was in an up-scale Goodwill so ever since I decided I would refer to it as GW’s.

consignment and thrift store finds 001
I love this small little picture. The glass is domed and it has little brass balls around the glass. I just fell in love with it. I have placed it in a vignette on a wall next to my bathroom, you can see the bathroom here.


white milk glass rose bowl 003
This last piece is a milk glass rose bowl that I purchased at a thrift store. I love the way it holds roses or in this case Alstomeria. It forms a perfect round bunch. It is sitting on a piece of Carrera marble circle that I use frequently when I serve cheese. These are just a few of my  little treasures. I am usually pretty selective in my buying. I do enjoy the thrill of the hunt!! Do you?

“Enjoy the Process” Of:

Treasure hunting at Thrift stores, Flea markets, Garage/Tag sales!!
Kathysue

I am linking to Rhoda's Thrifty Treasures at
Southern Hospitality

35 comments:

Windlost said...

Your house is gorgeous! Love your finds. That is one swanky Goodwill!!! California is too cool. Ours are NOTHING like that and literally are full of junk you do not want. Okay, maybe once in a while I find something but rarely!

Thanks for dropping by. I am not a good blogger these days and seem to post slowly, so I always appreciate that someone is still reading!!!

xo Terri

Unknown said...

I am an awesome thrifter! I love the hunt, although I don't always have much time for it. I love estate sales as well. Love your little oval frame. It's very unique and it looks very old too. You've got such a good eye, I'm not surprised that you have found some good things.
But really? How ostentatious is it to call Good will GW...geeez...

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

What a Goodwill that is, Kathysue! GW's indeed. That's funny. Great finds you have there, the ironstone platters and all those other little goodies. You know I love the thrill of the hunt.

Glad you joined the party & I love that you added your sweet pic to your profile!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, that is funny that you have upscale Good Wills there. I love the picture with the brass beading. Great milk glass, too.

Kathysue said...

Sally, I know I could not believe it. I truly thought it was a boutique with vintage pieces, it was reallly nice inside. GW's too funny!!

La Dolfina said...

Wow Kathysue I've never been to that Goodwill before and can't believe they call it GW... too too funny. My Mom and I will have to check it out one day. I bet it was pricey :)
Love your treasures. You are discriminating for sure and you have a wonderful eye!!!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Kathysue,
Love your milk glass...hop over and show off all your GW treasures at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...hope to see you there:)

Blessings,
Linda

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kathysue! How sweet of you to mention me! You know I love me some Goodwill! lol I took a casserole to my DD's tonight in my Southern Living casserole dish from GW that cost me $2.52...identical to her $25 one! Woo hoo! I don't remember seeing that wonderful picture...gorgeous! I hope you had a fabulous 4th!...hugs...Debbie

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

I still remember our Good-will Hunting in Asheville. Maybe we can all get together one year for the mother of all GW's - the Never Ending Yard Sale. Can you imagine all of us in a cargo van chugging along screaming "stop here! stop here!" LOL Oh my!!! Miss you my friend!
Hugs and kisses, Barb

Marcus Design said...

Love these finds Kathysue!! I especially am in love with the little milk glass vase. So sweet. I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July today!
Nancy

Laura Trevey said...

I love finding treasures in thrift shops!!

xoxo Laura

Allie and Pattie said...

Great finds Kathysue! I love te thrill of finding something unique and wonderful for a bargain!
xoxo Pattie

savvycityfarmer said...

I have a thing for little chards of marble...your is certainly a keeper!

thank you for our friendship ... you are always so loyal

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Kathysue, you know I am a diehard thrifter! I would love to visit your GW, but I don't know I love the junky (or should I say "jnque") ones too!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

You found some wonderful beauties! I love the domed piece and the vignette you created...gorgeous! The milk glass is soooo pretty!

The store is Los Altos is darling...what a cute idea to make it resemble a boutique...tres chic;)!

Lisa Porter said...

Geee, that makes me think that i might want to open a goodwill! Can you imagine the fun of going through all the "stuff" that people drop off and then having lovely customers such as you drop by to call them treasures. Seriously...
Thank you so much for stopping by and spending some time at TLPC. It's great to see you!
Lisa

La said...

That picture is stunning. What a great find!

René said...

What great finds. One can never have too many white plates or milk glass.

-Rene

Privet and Holly said...

This makes our "GW" here really look sad!
You are right, I have to be "in the mood,"
too, to poke around. I have also decided
that I need to come up with a list of things
that I'm actively looking for, and not just
pick up things that I'm not sure what exactly
I'm going to do with! Love all of your finds!
xx Suzanne

GoodyGirlRed said...

Next time I'm in Los Altos I'm going to visit that "GW" store--so funny!

Unknown said...

Such great finds! I could have a cabinet full of milk glass and never tire of it!! Great post! Elizabeth

Haven and Home said...

Your thrifting is definitely better than mine!

Karen said...

The milk glass vase is so pretty and summery. My husband used to manage the finances for our local Goodwill Industries. He was told that they take the better merchandise to the lower income areas of our city as all "the best stuff" was being snapped up by those who could likely afford the most, aka those of us in the suburbs. I thought that was kind of them to do this. After all, anyone can head to the inner city to shop if they choose.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathysue,
I love your finds, very selective and very elegant.

hugs
Sissie

Steph said...

Great finds. The milk glass vase is so pretty. I hear you about having to be in the mood, but I do love thirifting when I am in that mood!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great finds! I can't believe the difference in Goodwills across the country. Mine is so pitiful.
gail

Herbgirl said...

Hello and Happy to meet you! I really like the candle holder and the milk glass vase you found. I, too,have to be in the right mood to thrift and can get in the mood real fast if necessary! Seems how much money I have in my purse is attached to the shopping mood!
Hugs N Herbal Blessings, Mandy

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing some of your treasures and finds. I think that last image might be my favorite...so pretty!

Kirsty Girl said...

Oooooo I LOVE the term good-will hunting for thrifting! How wonderful!

Bring Pretty Back said...

Kathysue~ What GREAT finds! When me and the hubby travel I LOOOVVEEE to go to the good will stores in other cities and states! My hubby thinks I am a bit crazy! haha!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Melissa Miller said...

Ooooohhh that is the prettiest tiny photo and frame Kathysue! It belongs at your beautiful home. Love it! :)

Bring Pretty Back said...

Kathysue, What a beautiful love story you and your hubby have!!!! BEAUTIFUL!
"he is my home" ohhh that is the best.
Congrats to you on so many wonderful years of marriage!
I love it!
Kristin

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love to thrift, flea and antique! Love the pic of "GW". You got some great buys!

Unknown said...

thank you so much for stopping by my blog! i'm so happy to count you as a new follower :) what amazing thrifting finds you've got here — i'm totally inspired to give it a go in my neighborhood this weekend!

FrenchBlue said...

Dear Kathysue~
What an eye you have!! It always amazes me what I find at Salvation Army... but here they seem to have caught on and the prices are more than some of the antique malls!! Great post!
Xo