home about me our home

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Do Your Clothes Ever Remind You Of A Room?

I plan on cleaning out my closet this weekend. It is going to be a really hot weekend around here so I think staying in the air conditioned house is the answer for me.
Our weather was so strange this year that I still have long sleeved blouses and T-shirts hanging in my closet. Time to bring in the Summer clothes.

I remember reading that we will subconsciously decorate our homes like we dress. Have you ever heard or read that? I use to beg to differ because I had all kinds of different styles and colors going on in my closet when I was younger( do you think maybe I had an identity crisis going on?)

As I have become older I seem to dress more classic, or at least I hope I do. Now, when I look in my closet I can see that whomever wrote that article was right. In my closet you will see a lot of black and white. The colors in my closet will consist of yellow, lime, pink/red, blue. Hmmm!?? This sounds vaguely familiar to my home doesn’t it? The patterns are usually striped or checks or just solids,hmmmmm!?? This also sounds vaguely familiar.

I love when I visit others blogs and they match an outfit with a room. There are some really talented bloggers out there. I am so amazed at how close they can come to matching a room with clothing.

I thought it would be fun for me and, hopefully for you to find some rooms that remind me of some of my clothes.
blue ikat
CLOTHES TRIAL 005 (600x800) 
I got this dark blue and white top at Macy’s. It is sooo comfortable and cool. It looks great with a pair of white jeans. I think everything looks great with a pair of white jeans, though.
trelllis
CLOTHES TRIAL 001 (600x800)
Love the black and white Imperial trellis pattern. I just happen to have a blouse that this reminds me of. This is a go-to blouse that I wear with dress black pants.
pink stripe 
CLOTHES TRIAL 010 (600x800) (2) 
After looking at this image, I probably should have ironed my shirt!!
This is one cute laundry room. I love the freshness of the pink and white stripes. It reminds me of my pink and white striped cotton shirt. I have a black and white and a blue and white striped shirt also, go figure!!
green ikat
CLOTHES TRIAL 004 (600x800) 
In the summer time I like to wear knit, light weight dresses around the house. This room reminded me of a green Ikat print dress I have with brown beading around the neck. It is a long dress and fun to wear in the summer with brown tortoise sandals.
blush pink
CLOTHES TRIAL 008 (600x800) 
I love the color blush. You know it is not pink and it is not peach- just a soft shade of both. I love how it looks with white or a soft gray. My summer blush top with sequins reminded me of this room with its soft shimmer.

neon yellow 
Room by David Bromstad

CLOTHES TRIAL 013 (600x800) 
I wear a lot of this acid or citron yellow. It is a color that I truly enjoy wearing and it has become a mainstay in my wardrobe.



Love this tunic top and it's unusual color combination. This was a bit hard to find a room to go with it , but I think the room reflects the colors and feel of my top, don't you?


I only did a few pieces out of my closet but it was really fun finding rooms that reminded me of the pieces. You should try it!!
“Enjoy the Process” Of:
Finding rooms that remind you of your wardrobe.
Kathysue

32 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

What a fabulous post! I LOVE your acid yellow, but unfortunately it tends to make me look quite ill- this Sicilian white complexion of mine! So fun!
xoxo Pattie

PAT said...

Sounds like something I would have fun with, Kathysue.

I gave Good Life Design a little mention, in my latest post. I've begun the condo master makeover. Enjoying the process.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How fun, Kathysue! Both the rooms and the clothes look like you! Now you are makng me look at my closet! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debie

Hamptontoes said...

That was so much fun!!

Unknown said...

awe how cute of u! - super cute post!!!

i too have to take my "summer" clothes out of storage - i've been saying this for the last 2 years - with changing clothes over - i seem to never do so and just buy "new stuff" - i'm REALLY hope i don't fall into that pattern this year - i need to SAVE $$$ .. i'm gonna use u as my motivation! :o)

*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, great post. I was just thinking the other day that I don't wear a lot of the same colors in my house. I do wear it sometimes, but I mostly like white and different blues to wear.

Jules said...

How fun! I'm afraid if that were a fact my house would be mid blue denim, navy blue, white and cream with an occasional splash of colour! It's not!
Loved the images you chose and everyone a wonderful choice but tell me does that mean you are going to have to redecorate?!!!!!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Kathysue, that is so interesting....and a beautiful and fun post! I've gotta run check my closet now! Linda

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

What a fun post Kathysue! I often have similar colours in my wardrobe as on my decor. Esp bright colours - yellows, blues and oranges! Will xo

Karen said...

I actually did a post several months back about the similarity between fashion rules and design rules. For instance, classics like the little black dress never go out of style. A classic piece of furniture is also a good bet.

Unknown said...

Well, aren't you the cleverest thing!! What a fun post, and it give us more insight to our friend, Kathysue (who STILL doesn't have a profile picture!!) At least we know what you're wearing! LOL Love you Kathysue!
www.divinedistractions.blogspot.com

Averill said...

What a fun post, Kathysue! I really love your green ikat dress -- it's darling!

Kathysue said...

Julienne, No I just pulled a few fun pieces out of my wardrobe the main pieces that have been with me for a long time are the colors of my home for sure and the basic feel also. But you know me I do pop in a little whimsy now and again,xo Kathysue

vignette design said...

Great post Kathysue! How in the world did you do that? It must have been fun trying to find rooms to go with your clothes. Not in my closet! It would be black, more black, some white, maybe a little hot pink and brown. I'm boring. I want to shop in your closet!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Kathysue...what a fun post. Love your yellow tunic!

Miles Of Style said...

what a lovely post...i like that yellow tunic too!

just stumbled upon your blog and i have to say i LOVE it. do come drop by mine too and maybe we can follow each other. =)

have a lovely day!

Persis
http://onestylemile.blogspot.com

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ya did great! And I think I fell in love with some of your clothes...particularly the ikat dress and the last tunic!

Judy said...

I really need to clean out my closet it's such a mess! I have always heard that you decorate in colors you wear and I'd have to agree. I wear lots of black, white & khaki and those colors are very much in my home.

Hey, when you finish your closet, could you drop by my house and work on mine? That would be great (ha!)

Judy

Bring Pretty Back said...

Kathysue, That was fun to read! Its funny because I don't necessarily dress the way I want to , I dream of losing this 50 pounds and dressing more my style. I LOVE wearing pink, my favorite color and you are right... I want lots of pink in my new home!!!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Unknown said...

Kathysue...you are so adorable! Your clothes are fabulous, and completely translate to those rooms! You always bring a smile to my face!

Haven and Home said...

This is fun, I want to try! Love your clothes and the corresponding rooms!

Marija said...

One of my favorite posts this week! I swear, looking into my closet is not a whole lot different than looking into my house. I always ask to see a client's closet. I think you can tell so much about the selections people make for day to day and dress up and especially, what they're most comfortable lounging around in!!

Privet and Holly said...

Beautiful rooms reflecting a beautiful lady!
At the moment, my closet does reflect my life, if not my design aesthetic! It is very unorganized. I need a weekend like yours to take everything out, purge and straighten. Not going to be this weekend, though, as I'm heading out of town for a week! Love all our your cute clothes and I think that you did an amazing job of matching them to rooms, as well--clever girl!
xx Suzanne

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Wow, it was fun to have a peek at your stylish wardrobe and the matching rooms you selected were great! I notice a lot of color and pattern in my closets are similar to those in my home, too!!!

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Just found your blog! What a fun post! I loved it! I'm your newest follower. Stop by and visit me anytime.

Nancy @ Nancy's Daily Dish

Ange said...

Fantastic post Kathysue!! I love this idea. Hope you don't mind if I take inspiration from you and do a similar post one day.
Angex

ashlina {the decorista} said...

omg KS i seriously love this.....love love love :0)

La Dolfina said...

This was a fun post lovely lady :)
I like your clothes!!!
xo

Erica @ Decorica said...

Kathysue, as I was scrolling down, I was thinking 'wow, she has a cute wardrobe.' And then I realized I have 2 of the same shirts as you! I have the last tunic and the studded shirt (mine is in grey) which I got both from Macy's. Crazy.

You found the perfect pics relating to your clothes.

Donna D said...

Love this post and I love your wardrobe!

Donna

Cashon&Co said...

you never cease to amaze me with your creativity. And it's neat to see your personality through your clothes. lots of vibrant colours and patterns! and i do see that in some of your interiors projects too! i'd say the word that your clothes and style best describes you is "happy". that's what i'd want mine to say about me. :)

Kelley Moore said...

Spot on Kathysue! I loved that you used pieces from your own closet.