home about me our home

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Let’s Try a Little Coziness!


I think we all love the look of a cozy place to sit or to lay down for a lovely Sunday afternoon nap. Sometimes when it is really cozy, it can remind us of a tent or a fort we built as children, and that is always a fun memory. I found some wonderful cozy places to share with you today………..
alcove_bed[1]
I, for one, would love to read a book and fall asleep in this wonderful little alcove bed.
6045b2f3c2ea[1] I have actually shown this picture in another post that I did on Greek Key designs. This is not an actual alcove, but the drapery behind the bed and the cornice and side drapes makes for a nice and cozy place to sleep.
alcove[1] This bed is in an actual alcove and by adding the swags and jabots, it makes it feel very princess-like. Don’t you think?
CT0307108b_3_x[1] Nothing but coziness going on here!
cx0409102p_1_y[1] This already feels like a special place because you have to take steps down to this room. It feels like a little hideaway.
d8b744a16c09[1] What a fun way to divide a shared bedroom. This is a great use of space and each child would feel like they had their own special hiding place.


Picture_23[1]Designer Phoebe Howard / Style Editor Eddie Ross 

Another draped enclosed bed. I love the reading lights and that sunburst mirror is a wonderful touch. I am not sure who designed this room, but it is perfection to me. I want to sleep in this comfy bed.
southern accentsSouthern Accents Magazine
SA0305185b_1_y[1]
This might actually be an alcove, but I think this shows by draping a room that is not too wide with drapes on each side and,by placing the bed in the middle, you can create an alcove look. I have also seen beds placed inside of closets to make an alcove. If you use your imagination you could create an alcove in a room with shelves on each side of a bed and use a drape to create the look of an alcove.  After seeing all of these images can you think of a place in your home you could create a special reading alcove or sleeping area?
“Enjoy the Process” Of: Thinking of cozy spaces.
Kathysue
BTW: I just found out who decorated my favortie cozy spot in this post, the bed with the starburst mirror and wonderful green and white comforter was done by none other than one of my favorite people and designers EDDIE  ROSS. I got this message from him:

Hi Kathy Sue!!! Love this post! The bed with the reading lights with in the bed hanging is a bed that I styled in Florida for House Beautiful years ago. It was such a fun shoot my good friend Pheobe Howard was the designer on the Carter project.


Hope all is well,

xoxoxo

Eddie + Jaithan

17 comments:

artis1111 said...

I love an alcove. I had one in a house we lived in once and just loved it.These are beautiful. Kathy

Allie and Pattie said...

I have some of the same pictures in my inspiration files- I have always wanted an alcove type bed. And I love the black beds!
xoxo Pattie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, those are some really pretty cozy spaces. That children's room with the divided private beds is a great idea.

Cashon&Co said...

OH MYYYYYYYY......some of these images are going straight into the printer then straight into my files. I stopped and stared at the white bedroom for some time. I have always loved cornice/pelmets and with the lights and all white this one looks so fresh. Another great post. :)

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

All beautiful, Kathysue!
I like the reading light idea and may try that. The iron bed in our room is draped with linen panels. There is a headboard, but I still think I can make it work.

Tricia said...

Ah...heaven.
That striped chair slip is amazing as is the sunburst mirror over the bed. Unfortunately the only cozy nook in my tiny home is my big bed~ but it makes me happy. :)
Hugs~
T

Anonymous said...

One of my "hopeful" projects this summer is to make a cornice around my bed (similar to the second photo). Since our bed only fits on one wall, it will have to incorporate the windows as well.

Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing.

paula said...

I woke up quite tired this morning these appeal to me greatly right about now!

La Dolfina said...

I adore cozy spaces. Alcoves are the ultimate!!
Like Kellie said, you always do the most amazing posts!!!

Blondie's Journal said...

These are beautiful and cozy images, Kathy! I noticed the color blue as a running theme. Serenity?

xoxo
Jane

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

All of these rooms are so lovely. I think my favorite is the little room at the bottom of the steps. Such fun. Hope you are having a super day. Hugs, Marty

xinex said...

I love the cozy bed nooks, KathySue!...Christine

ashlina {the decorista} said...

oh those little nooks are divine! i love them....makes me wanna go nap RIGHT NOW! ;)

PS. i hope you know that i just adore you and your sweet comments! I feel so blessed that we have become blogging friends too! :) we both enjoy the good life of design, thats for sure! xoxo

Melissa Miller said...

Kathysue they are so cozy welcoming. I love the idea!

Thank you for sweet words. I'm having a good time picking out new clothes. Yay!

Happy Easter! ~Melissa :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy Sue!!! Love this post! The bed with the reading lights with in the bed hanging is a bed that I styled in Florida for House Beautiful years ago. It was such a fun shoot my good friend Pheobe Howard was the designer on the Carter project.
Hope all is well,
xoxoxo
Eddie + Jaithan

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

If I had the nook shown in the first image the productivity in my home would go way way down. Love the two beds in alcoves with the desk inbetween, brilliant use of space! Janell

aneyefordetail said...

Yes! The Eddie Ross bed is my favorite..oh, I would love to lie down right this minute!