home about me our home

Monday, March 1, 2010

Birds in Design


I love birds!  I love watching them in my backyard. I enjoy hearing them sing like a choir at dusk. I pretty much like everything there is to do with birds.  I recently got my Pottery Barn catalog in the mail and they had this wonderful embroidered bird pillow that just caught my eye.  I am not one that really likes a thematic room, but I think every home needs touches of items that the homeowner loves.  One does have to be careful to not over do. Since I love birds I  notice items when they have birds on them.  I thought it might be fun to see what all is out their for us bird lovers.  Care to join me?




Lovely bedding with birds, beautiful soft turqouise background.

Subtle,soft blue with just two small birds at the top. This is a way to put birds in your home without it becoming too thematic.

This amazing chandelier is from Anthropologie. It is a bit pricey, but what a statement piece with just the smallest of birds on the crystals.




 
Wouldn't this be darling in a nursery?

Ballard Designs

What a fun laundry basket and it folds down.

I love the white and black combination here.







Pottery Barn


Another nice piece from Anthropologie a bit pricey at $3,998, but what a statement piece.



Great simple artwork with just silouehettes of birds on a gorgeous color of turqouise

What a statement these wonderful bird prints make in this dining room.



A place to hang your purse.

Birds on a wire for Horchow

Lamp also for Horchow. If you were to put this and the chair in the same room it would be overdone and what I consider a thematic room. Using themed accessories is tricky and you have to use restraint when doing so.



This room is done by the talented author Jenny of the blog Little Green Notebook. She is so clever and always has a new idea and a fresh approach. Be sure and visit her blog. I just love my visits there.

This is new for Pottery Barn. I think this is so unique!


Another very unique use of birds. Each swan could be used as a shelf but here they are just using it as a wall sculpture

As you can see there are many ways to add birds to your designs.  Doing it tastefully is so easy with the variety of images in the market place. Remember just don't go over-board and have so many that they are no longer special in of themselves, but they become a large group making an overly decorated thematic room. I have a little saying that has worked for me in my,"Good life of design."
Big is better, Less is More

I know this is not for every one and I always tell my clients it has to make you smile and feel happy inside when you look at it. I go home to the house that I love and I want you to feel that way about your own home.

"Enjoy the Process" Of: Adding something from nature, like birds, to your rooms.

Kathysue

25 comments:

Kellie Collis said...

What a beautiful collection!! x

Jeanette said...

Such wonderful items.

Allie and Pattie said...

Love them all! The pillows are fabulous
xoxo Pattie

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathysue!
I love the birds and you are so right about adding just the right amount, being careful not to overdo.
Pottery Barn is featuring so many wonderful pieces. I love the hanging nest with the crystals.

Thanks for such a lovely post.

hugs
Sissie

Jules said...

I think the birds are fun. We have a fundraising group with an impossible boring name but because we wear black and white (we cater) we are called the Maggies and everything we do has a little magpie somewhere! I do think Anthropologie get a wee, wee bit carried away with their prices sometimes. (But perhaps it is a far bigger piece than it appears!!!!!!)

Cashon&Co said...

That mirror from Ballard Designs ROCKS. Maybe that's the mirror I need for my backyard/outside area?

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, I love birds, too. I have them scattered throughout and probably too themey in my powder room. I will have to work on that. I have the new bird duvet for my spring summer bed in our master. It just caught my eye and I went for it. Beautiful colors on it.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Good Mornin' sweet lady...

How are you doing, my friend? I hope that my note finds you doing well!

Ohhh...I really loved this post that you've done with all those sweet birds! I must admit...I have a "thing" for all sweet little birds! Hehe! I love all of the great pieces with birds that you have shared with us today! I especially like the three little pillows with the beautifully colored needlework birds...with the subtle black/gray leaf background! They are gorgeous! I'd love to find some like that!

I was doing a little grocery shopping at Walmart yesterday and noticed that they were putting out their HomeTrends "Spring" line of household items. They had some beautiful off-white decorative pillows with the most beautiful colored yellow-green branches with leaves...design. They were just gorgeous and only marked $13. Nice big pillows! Then next to the pillows were a few pieces of art on canvas panels...using the same colors with silloutettes of birds...so pretty! I thought that the using this pretty combo would be a great look! Just adding the pillow to a chair and/or sofa and displaying the canvas art nearby! I was so tempted to get them, however I'm afraid that the colors wouldn't have gone so well at my place! Boohoo! Hehe! Anyway...boy, I sure am talkative this morning, aren't I? Hehe! Thank you so much for doing this sweet post! Great tips for "not overdoing" a becoming "themey"!

Have a wonderful day, sweet lady!
Chari @Happy To Design

Allie and Pattie said...

Kathysue! I found ceramic egg cartons similar to the ones you posted from Anthro! 2 of them just jumped into my cart and I took pics for you! Homegoods. 9.99!!!!
xoxo Pattie

Sue said...

I love a few of these items and I didn't even know I liked bird things! I love that first bed, and the hanging "cages" with the candles. This is fun stuff!

Foley said...

Love the artwork and also the pillows in the first photo..
With your love of black and white, are you a fan of the MK Childs black and white dinnerware pieces? I would love some of the accent pieces...someday!

Paula Bee said...

Dear Kathy,

Oh my, you know how I like birds! Love your post. The color of the first bedspread is scrumptious! Yes, I think birds fit year round in just about every room in my house. Love, Paula

Tracey @ My House of Giggles said...

I have a thing for birds too...I don't know what it is about them....they're just a little whimsical or carefree :)
Thanks for sharing!

Tracey

ps...I have some lots of little birdies around my blog....feel free to take a peek if you have a moment :)

myhouseofgiggles.blogspot.com

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey! I love birds too & you are so right, they are everywhere. There's just something about a birdie though that feels so spring. Love that first bedroom you pictured, just my colors! Thanks for coming to see me.

La Dolfina said...

Gotta love those birdies!! So sweet, just like you!!

Tricia said...

Very great finds but I especially love that blue painting with the bird sihouettes~ gorgeous! I've been into owls this past year but only have 2 in my house and only one bird.

PS- had to share with you that we cleaned out the pantry yesterday. Not blog post worthy like yours of course, but now organized and no longer a hazard to open! :)
Happy Monday Kathysue.

vignette design said...

I have recently "discovered" birds too. I may even take up bird watching. They fascinate me! Love all your photos. Great inspiration.

Mélanie A. said...

very inspiring post. birds in design are fascinating...

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Kathysue, you always find the most interesting things. I love some of the pillows and fabrics. Way too interesting. Hugs, Marty

Averill said...

Very fun! My MIL is an avid birder and she would love all of these. I'm less enthusiastic but I still love the more graphic bird elements here: the bird on a wire chair from Horchow, the bird silhouette pillow from PB...great stuff!

Tracey @ My House of Giggles said...

Hi Kathysue...thanks for stopping by my blog, and leaving such sweet comments! I just wanted to let you know, since we're on the topic of birds ;), that I just posted a giveaway on my blog for a vintage plate with hand-painted birds :) Feel free to come on over and take a peek :)

Tracey

myhouseofgiggles.blogspot.com

xinex said...

I really love the bird pillows, Kathy Sue...Christine

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kathysue! I love the bird decor you have shown us! That PB bird light nest is sooo cute! Now if I had a big house in the woods, I'd get the bird lantern chandelier...but alas! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

A Perfect Gray said...

O, I loved that post. The white lamp with black shade and then the wire shades, awesome! Excellent roundup!

Marija said...

Ohh! I like that - big is better; less is more ! Perfect. I do love birds but I am feeling a bit 'birded-out' these days. Though you've captured some great ones! Marija