home about me our home

Friday, February 19, 2010

Is It Really Greener on The Other Side?


In today's post, it is most definitely greener on the other side.



Eddie Ross did a post the other day on color and he asked a question of his readers.  He asked us what new color or color combinations are appealing to us.  Little did Eddie know that I already had been thinking about the color Kelly green.  Touches  of this vibrant green in a room are so appealing to me.  I think it has something to do with the fact that it is the color of nature.  Green is a very soothing color to me.  Kelly green is a bright pop in any room. I am not sure it will ever work in my house as it is now, but it is fun to look at rooms and objects with my new "crush color."





Imperial Trellis wallpaper


With this green lacquered tray, all the ordinary objects look much more appealing.





I am noticing a lot of black and white is mixed with this bright pop of green. You know how I love my black and white combinations, so this would just be fun to have in a room.



Try to visualize this room without that amazing headboard. All of the sudden it is no longer as special.

Without the touches of green this kitchen would not have the life that it now has.

Phoebe Howard for Max and Co
.
I love these old green bottles. My friend Terri at La Dolfina will love this picture for sure. If you haven't seen Terri's blog be sure and stop by and tell her Kathysue sent you her way! She always has wonderful unique eye candy and her collection of bottles and shells is unbelieveable.

Here is  a cabinet filled with Terri's treasures. Notice the pop of green used here. My jaw dropped the first time I saw this.  This is only a fraction of her beautiful treasures.

I told you! You will not be disappointed.


Sarah Richardson
I really like the combination of the turqouise with the green. Erin at The House of Turqouise would probably enjoy this room


Phoebe Howard for Mrs. Howard
Absolutely Stunning! Interesting wall treatment. Notice the studding along the top and right above the wainscotting. I just find this to be so striking.

Sarah Richardson
More black and white with the pop of green. I love this and could totally live in this room.


I  probably could not do this much green on  my walls personally, but with all the white it works nicely. Did you notice the ceiling is even the green? Everything else in the room is nice and neutral.  You see if you study pictures and their use of color combinations you can learn what will work and what is appealing to you.

This foyer is a Wow! room to me. The mural wallpaper looks amazing and then the beautiful garden stool on the zig-zag black and white rug is genius. Too some this might be busy but if you really look at it from a design point of view it is done very well. Too busy for my own personal taste however I can tell there was a lot of thought put into this space and I can appreciate the talent that it took to do this room.

More turqouise with that great pop of green. This is just fun!

As much as I absolutely love the color combination here, this room is a bit contrived or predictable to me.  I think a touch of black is needed here. Something to shake it up a bit. What do you think?

I love this dining room. Notice how the touches of black and the dark wood table ground this room nicely.

Lots of pattern , green mixed with black and white.

What a fun contemporary nursery, looks like twins, two cribs!

Wedgwood China has a lovely pattern with the green and blue combination.

I really love this pop of bright kelly green and I actually have thought of a place to use it in my house, but more on that later.  I hope that you are starting to open your mind to new and different color combinations. Even if you never use them in your own home, it is a lot of fun playing with them and seeing what you can come up with. Find rooms in blogland that inspire you and save them in a file for later. You never know when it might come in handy for your next project in your home. What is your new "crush color?"

"Enjoy the Process" Of: Trying new color combinations

Kathysue

22 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, I am a huge fan of green. I have used it throughout my house. My kitchen and sun room are both the same color, but look different due to the amount of light coming in. That is why when anyone is testing new paint colors they should test it in different lighting.

Kat said...

Love this post Kathysue! The Phoebe Howard space with those gorgeous green glass bottles just makes me sigh. And I adore the kitchen with the bright green stool cushions, what a wonderful space. It really is a great color. When we renovated the bathroom I loved it, but it just looked a bit blah and sterile. Added a few pops of bright green and voila - I love it! Hugs, Kat

Cashon&Co said...

gorgeous. all of them. everytime i'd say to myself: oh, that's my favourite. then i'd scroll down two more and say the same thing. I love Terri's. It is so classic, interesting, everything that is great in design.
awesome post!

DesignTies said...

I don't have one specific colour crush -- I love almost all colours :-) My very favourites are purple, turquoise, and bright green.

After looking through all the wonderful pictures you found, Kelly green might be my newest colour crush :-) I actually really like the bedroom with the green ceiling. The colour just seems to wrap the room in warmth and gives it a really cozy look.

Kelly

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kathysue! I love all of those wonderful green rooms! I think I could live with a few pops of bright green, too! I am still in baby land, but I wanted to stop by for a quick visit! Happy weekend...hugs...Debbie

La Dolfina said...

Hi Sweet Friend!
You are too kind to include my little bit of green in your fabulous post about your new color crush, kelly green! All the photos are amazing. I especially love the pops of green in the black & white rooms!
Wishing you a lovely weekend and thanks again for including me in your post today.
~xo always

Averill said...

I love kelly green, especially when mixed with a lot of black and white.

That white buffet in the dining room with the KWID Imperial Trellis wallpaper is stunning -- love, love, LOVE it.

Sue said...

Oh...posted once and it didn't go through. I hate when that happens.

Anyway, I used to hate green after living through the avocado years of the 70's. Now I love it again. I really like the rooms with the pops of green. I could never do the paint, wallpaper or tile. I think you have to be very careful with tile...it lasts too long and I like to change my mind.

My color these days seems to be a very dark brown. We bought expresso leather sofas and I love how I can use almost any colors with them.

Sue

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I always love your posts. You do find the greatest pictures in the whole world. I love greens, but in really small pops of color. So pretty. Hugs, Marty

Melissa Miller said...

~WOW! I LOVE the kitchen. Amazing! I do love green as well Kathysue. So pretty and soothing.

~Blessing to you this weekend. ~Melissa :)

Foley said...

Green is one of my fav colors - and you have managed to post almost every hue of it to perfection!
I just drool over these photos...lots of daydreaming going on!

Tricia said...

I'm seeing a lot of Kelly green in spring fashion right now too and posted on it a few weeks ago. Right now I'm still on my WHITE, WHITE, and more WHITE binge with gray and tan as my splash. :-)
Happy Friday Kathysue.

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I have never met a green I did not like. I love it!

A Perfect Gray said...

Wow! What a terrific post! Thanks to La Dolfina, I found you and your terrific photos. I was also so taken away by La Dolfina's (Terri's) cabinet and the punch of green. She is SO talented. Look forward to keeping up with you!

Free Art Printables said...

I love green! It's that perfect pop of color!

koralee said...

ok...now I like green. Green and black is beautiful!!! That first bathroom ...sigh...so so lovely. Thanks for this today. xoxoxo

xinex said...

I really like this shade of green too, KathySue and I like the combo with turquoise but I don't think I can live with the one with too much green on walls and ceiling and the bold trellis wallpaper all over. Maybe on just one wall will work for me. I think green is very soothing. I really like the ones with green accessories. Thanks for stopping by and always leaving nice comments...Christine

TERI REES WANG said...

So fresh and So clean!

Green in a glaze is what always holds my gaze.

TERI REES WANG said...

Current color crush > Plum + Rust + Grey + Ivory

Amanda said...

Intense kelly green is seriously one of my favorites. Beautiful post and wonderful write-up on la dolphina! I agree with her! It's easy to become addicted!

Beautifully50 said...

I love this post. I never really liked green at all..until I had my little boy. From age 2 on, his favorite color has been green, and I have to say, it's my favorite now too. I used more green than ever...it's a little like bringing the beautiful outdoors in...I love the green walls and neutral bedroom, the green counter stools in the kitchen (I might have to try that) and all of the green pieces throughout! Great post!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Kathysue, I love that room with the arches and all of those windows! As a matter of fact, I'm going back to look at it again. Hope you are having a great weekend. laurie