home about me our home

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Black Fences

I have a file that I put pictures of ideas for my home, my yard and even ideas for family and close friends. I was looking at my files the other day and  ran across one marked, Black Fences.  Last summer we had a fence built that would camouflage an unsightly view of my neighbors backyard. We call it the Great Wall. It is built with lattice panels and measures 32ft long and 9ft high.  It is a natural finish right now and actually, is probably too massive to paint it black, but oh how I wish I were a little braver so I could do this.......

I love the way green plants look against the black.


This picture is also in my black and white striped awning file that I will share with you at another time. I also would really love awnings in the back yard, but the problem is they might obstruct my view of the  trees so I am not sure they will work.



 I know this fence is not black but it is a very dark green and I can visualize it as black and it would be stunning. This is none other than the great designer Charlotte Moss in her backyard. I love the way the fence surrounds the yard and makes it feel as if it is a secret garden. Can you believe the over-sized candelier? I was thinking it almost looks like a couple of firescreens wired together.(Note to self, keep this on file for future reference)

This last image made my jaw drop. It has a few too many statues for me, like the lady in the back and the little planter on the side, but once those are out of view, this is pretty spectacular.

Another view towards the house. I must have really liked this image because I had it in my file 3 different times.

After doing a little research black fences are not a new thing. They were popular in the 18th and 19th century. The pickets would be black, but the post would be white so the carriages could see them at night. In order to get black paint, tar was used.  So glad we can buy black paint in cans!!

Now that I have showed you pictures of black fences, what do you think? Could you see a black fence in your yard?


The jury is still out on my Great Wall!


"Enjoy the Process" Of: Thinking outside the box and painting something a color you would never have done before

Kathysue

16 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathysue, love the black fences. I could see any fence in my yard. I would love to have the back fenced so Bailey could go out and run without being on a leash. Our street is so busy she would run right into and get killed. Oh, how I want a fence.

Tammy@InStitches said...

I do have one in my backyard. It's the only color fence my neighborhood allows ! I need the rest of the backyard to look like that jawdropping one. I'm saving that pic too. Do you know where it came from ?

Pat@BPM said...

We have a black iron fence in our yard and love it. In many ways we patterned our home after the historic homes in old St Charles Missouri. Even thought the basic archectural style is different..we had it bricked fully with stone around the foundation, on all sides with a substantial stone wall, at the walk out area of the basement. We love those old homes. Many have black iron fences. For practical purposes, ours isn't really ornamental as the more historic fences. We needed a good functional fence for Molly to enjoy the back yard without worry. A few years ago, while we were on vacation, in Charleston SC, we had the fence installed. We are delighted with it. One thing about a black fence it does seem to disappear into the landscape.

We own a few sections of the white fence that is on the outer perimeter of the subdivision. We were worried at first about the combo of the fences. Our black fence is a couple of acres over from the white fence and it looks great. It also showcases J's gardens beautifully.

So yes....I would have a black fence even with the white trim of the porch. Again, the white trim of our home is patterned after the antique homes.

Tammy@InStitches said...

Kathysue, my fence is only 4' high and has big spaces between the slats so it's not visually heavy. Good thing Zoe is not a jumper !

Cashon&Co said...

These are FANTASTIC. I love the black!! So chic! I did a post on awnings, and posted pics of my before awning and after awnings on my house. It makes such a difference, if you could figure out a way to do it w/o blocking the view, you should. :)

Cashon&Co said...

Kathy Sue,
here it is: http://cashonandcompany.blogspot.com/2009/10/awesome-awnings.html
there is also a pic of some black&white ones you'll die over. :)

vignette design said...

Kathysue,
I love this post of black fences. Reading between the lines though, I suspect you are thinking of painting your privacy fence by your pool black? Hmmmm, I say go for it! I can totally see that fence black! The flowers would just pop!

La Dolfina said...

OMG, I adore this post with all it's images!!!
There are so many ideas in here that I'm coveting right now. We want to re-vamp our backyard with gravel and boxwood and I'm loving some of the black painted latticework. I say definitely paint your wood trellis black... it would look amazing!!!
And then you will really be motivated to get those black and white awnings!! It's so you... I can just see it!!!!!!
~xo always!!

Tricia said...

Kathysue- is that your great wall in the last pic? If so then YES, paint it black~ I think it would look great! I've never even thought about fence colors but the images you shared are so gorgeous in black and dark green. I'm a big fan of striped awnings too and if we owned our house I would've had one installed on our back sunrooms windows already.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Kathysue, I love your pics of the black fences, but I really like your fence. I think it is perfect for your yard. Love the lanterns and the plants. It also really showcases your pool. Hope your day is a super one. Hugs, Marty

Gypsy Heart said...

Black is perfect! I recommend you go for it.

Tammy said...

I say if that last pic is yours by the pool I would paint it black. It would make the flowers pop and the pool would look amazing near a black fence/wall.
I wanted to paint my picket fence black so it would disappear but got cold feet when it came time to paint..so it is white. Might have to rethink that idea..hmmmm

Karen Sabrsula said...

This is a bit out of the box, but instead of black, what about a sage green or maybe even a bit darker green. My thinking... the black STOPS your eye visually, but a green more in line with the existing foilage may visually expand the space.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh My! That picture with the fountains is such a gorgeous little oasis! I think your fence behind your pool would look great painted black! Your pool looks so pretty. laurie

xinex said...

We have a black iron fence, KathySue and I love it! I wouldn't have it any other way. Yes, I think you can paint your fence black (although it is really pretty as it is right now) but maybe you can add a few more plants in front of it so the black wouldn't be too overpowering since the fence seems to be pretty close to the pool. Pretty flowering plants or topiaries will be gorgeous! But then again, you are the designer and whatever you do will be gorgeous for sure....Christine

Sue said...

Yes, I can see it. It would be a pain to paint...but I think I would like it. Painting the fences black seems to make them disappear into the natural element of the yard...I like that.